Beverage

Default Bourbon/Whiskey opinions please

I realize that most drinks' "quality," like any product, depends on the
individual. I have found many reviews, and even some sites like
Epinions, but I still want more personal opinions (not based on
popularity). Please give your opinions and express if any products from
your experience are more hype than value:

Besides Jim Beam (white label), what are decent bourbons under $15?
*With ice/possibly mixed and intended for weekends.
---------

Better bargains (quality/price) and why:
Maker's Mark vs. Knob Creek?
George Dickel #8/#12 (is the difference worth it?) vs. Jack Daniels #7?
*Maybe ice/no mixers and intended for occasional consumption.
---------

I've heard that some bourbons/whiskeys have the same "mash bill," or
combination of ingredients/aging/etc., which may make some brands
virtually identical or very similar. Anyone with knowledge to offer a
comparison list?
Brian Macke

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:35:51 -0800, Beverage wrote:

> Better bargains (quality/price) and why:

> Maker's Mark vs. Knob Creek?

Of the two, I prefer Maker's. It's smoother and tends to provide a nice
warmth on the way down. Knob Creek is a bit harsher without any addition
of flavor.

> George Dickel #8/#12 (is the difference worth it?) vs. Jack Daniels #7?

With Tennessee whiskies, the number signifies the formula used. Dickel #12
is the best of those three, and I would say it's almost twice as good as
Jack without the doubling in price.

> I've heard that some bourbons/whiskeys have the same "mash bill," or
> combination of ingredients/aging/etc., which may make some brands
> virtually identical or very similar. Anyone with knowledge to offer a
> comparison list?

I would doubt this since Whiskey production is a lot of art on top of
science... but I can't claim the expertise to adequately debunk it.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Blair P. Houghton

Brian Macke > wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:35:51 -0800, Beverage wrote:
>
>> Better bargains (quality/price) and why:

>> Maker's Mark vs. Knob Creek?

>Of the two, I prefer Maker's. It's smoother and tends to provide a nice
>warmth on the way down. Knob Creek is a bit harsher without any addition
>of flavor.

I think KC is quite a bit smokier and keep both around
because they're different in that way.

--Blair
"YMMV. Drink up."
MayorMcCheapo

On the question of good burbons under $15:

A sensational bang for the buck is Jim Beam Black Label. Aged 8
years, it's darker, smoother, more caramel, and all around more
sophisticated than "White Label" (aka grocery store) Jim Beam. Note:
I love Maker's Mark but never understood the appeal of Knob Creek.

At other price points: I've enjoyed Whiskey River, and have an
absolute crush on Woodford Reserve. (Can't afford anything above
that.)

Old whiskey Chemo the Clown General Cooking 0 05-02-2010 05:14 PM
What is the difference in Whiskey & Bourbon The Subject ® General 2 08-07-2005 08:17 PM
Rum and Whiskey John Gaughan General Cooking 33 23-02-2004 06:40 AM
Whiskey & Plastic [email protected] Baking 7 11-02-2004 05:54 AM