Old 07-12-2003, 04:27 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Default Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye

Greg Mortensen wrote:
Wild Turkey Bourbon is made in Anderson County, Maker's Mark in Marion
County, and Virginia Gentleman Bourbon is made in Virginia. There aren't
any active distilleries in Bourbon County, Kentucky.

I don't think that last bit is true; and if it is, it's a
tragedy of national proportions.

--Blair
"And a monster of a business opportunity."

Old 07-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Default Car Bomb ( Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye)

John Gaughan wrote:
Jimmy Tango wrote:
What do you all think of Jameson?

Vile. But I have a bottle for use in irish car bombs.

Speaking of vile, I can't think of a more reprehensible name
for anything than "Car Bomb".

--Blair
"Couldn't just call it the
'Dublin night out'?"
Old 07-12-2003, 05:51 AM
levelwave

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Bacarcar?

Bacardi. 'Twas said one night in a drunken stupor and the name stuck...

~john!

Old 07-12-2003, 06:44 AM
John Gaughan

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Vile. But I have a bottle for use in irish car bombs.

Speaking of vile, I can't think of a more reprehensible name for
anything than "Car Bomb".

Oh but they are so good. And about five minutes after you are done, it
hits you like its namesake.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 07-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Denise~*

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:29:35 GMT, notbob wrote:

Wild Turkey is one of the great American bourbons. It blows those
other premium bourbons (Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, etc) out of the
water. Single-barrel WT (Rare Breed) is my favorite of all whiskeys.
I haven't tried the rye yet, but recall a website that gave it
surprisingly high marks. Maybe I'll try a bottle for Xmas.

I'm gonna have to post here the next ime I want to buy some alc.
Had to get some bourbon for a recipe, so I asked the friendly stock
gal thinking if she worked there she would know the goods. I asked
her for the one that was "middle ground & good" I didn't want the
best or the worst, just the acceptable. She points to one & says.
"this is the most popular, and the cheapest too!
:-/

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

Old 07-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Tim Vanhoof

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

It's a lot
like Irish whiskeys (which are mostly rye-based, natch).

No they're not.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:14 PM
John Gaughan

Denise~* wrote:
She points to one & says. "this is the most popular, and the cheapest
too!

First of all, cheap alcohol, for the most part, is cheap because it
sucks. Some things such as Captain Morgan are cheap and good (not the
best but good), but those are rare. You get what you pay for.

Second, my late uncle, a lifelong alcoholic, once gave me a tidbit of
advice. He said that once you become an alcoholic you cannot afford the
good stuff anymore. That is why the cheap stuff sells well -- when you
drink a lot of it and have other problems in life caused by alcoholism,
well, you stretch your dollars as far as they will go.

If you want a good bourbon for cooking, grab some Jim Beam (white
label). I consider it to be a decent bourbon for drinking, but excellent
for cooking. Some of the top-shelf bourbons taste great but just don't
work for cooking.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Old 07-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Dave Smith

John Gaughan wrote:

First of all, cheap alcohol, for the most part, is cheap because it
sucks. Some things such as Captain Morgan are cheap and good (not the
best but good), but those are rare. You get what you pay for.

I tend to agree, but that is not a hard and fast rule. First of all, alcohol
is taxed at a pretty steep rate in most places, so most of the sticker price
on a bottle of booze is taxes. Then there is the cost of marketing. Bacardi
is one of the top selling rums. My wife and a good friend of hers both like
white rum, but not Bacardi. In fact, my wife would rather not have rum if
Bacardi is all there is. Place of production is also a factor.

Wine from some countries is generally much cheaper than others, and there is
a remarkable savings in buying them, especially in the low end varieties. I
regularly buy a cheap Hungarian white wine. At $6.25 a bottle it is a
steal. It's a lot cheaper than the low end local wines and most of the
other low end European wines. It's really not bad stuff.

Advertising is a major factor in beer sales. I usually by Danish beers
rather than the domestic stuff. They are competitively priced and excellent
quality. At least, they please my palate.

Old 07-12-2003, 09:35 PM
Levelwave©

Dave Smith wrote:

Bacardi is one of the top selling rums.
My wife and a good friend of hers both like white rum, but not Bacardi. In fact, my wife
would rather not have rum if Bacardi is all there is.

What would you consider a "good" rum?... Now that I think about it I
don't believe I've ever tried a Rum that wasn't Bacardi... now you've
got me curious...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Old 07-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Wayne Boatwright

Levelwave© wrote in
:

Dave Smith wrote:

Bacardi is one of the top selling rums.
My wife and a good friend of hers both like white rum, but not
Bacardi. In fact, my wife would rather not have rum if Bacardi is all
there is.

What would you consider a "good" rum?... Now that I think about it I
don't believe I've ever tried a Rum that wasn't Bacardi... now you've
got me curious...

~john!

If you like dark rum, you might try Meyer's (sp) Plantation Rum. It has a
very pronounced rum taste without the addition of other flavors or spices.
I using it for mixing certain cocktails and in baking. It makes a superb
hot buttered rum.

Wayne

Old 08-12-2003, 01:46 AM
Dave Smith

Levelwave=A9 wrote:

Bacardi is one of the top selling rums.
My wife and a good friend of hers both like white rum, but not Bacard=

i. In fact, my wife
would rather not have rum if Bacardi is all there is.

What would you consider a "good" rum?... Now that I think about it I
don't believe I've ever tried a Rum that wasn't Bacardi... now you've
got me curious...

I am not a big fan of rum. I usually get Captain Morgan.

Old 08-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Levelwave© wrote:

What would you consider a "good" rum?... Now that I think about it I
don't believe I've ever tried a Rum that wasn't Bacardi... now you've
got me curious...

Barbancourt is good. They have several varieties.

Regards,

Mike Beede
Old 08-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Richard Periut

Mike Beede wrote:
In article , Levelwave© wrote:

What would you consider a "good" rum?... Now that I think about it I
don't believe I've ever tried a Rum that wasn't Bacardi... now you've
got me curious...

Barbancourt is good. They have several varieties.

Regards,

Mike Beede

Try El Barrilito 3 star from PR. If you can get your hands on one; an
aged Cuban Habana Club. Barbancourt aged is acceptable. And any of the
aged Dominicans (Gran Reserva Brugal, Reserva Macorix, et cetera.)

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Old 08-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Tim Vanhoof wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote:

It's a lot
like Irish whiskeys (which are mostly rye-based, natch).

No they're not.

Okay, I can't find where I read it. It was a couple of
months ago when I was researching ryes. Everything I
can find now says that Irish whiskeys are (usually)
barley-based. But the Wild Turkey Rye reminded me of
Black Bush, so I believed it.

--Blair
"I'll go punish myself with a shot."
Old 08-12-2003, 08:10 AM
anon

In rec.food.drink John Gaughan wrote:

First of all, cheap alcohol, for the most part, is cheap because it
sucks. Some things such as Captain Morgan are cheap and good (not the
best but good), but those are rare. You get what you pay for.

I think there's plenty of cheap and good alcohol besides Captain Morgan,
but YMMV, though I do agree some cheap alcohol is guaranteed to give you a
shitty buzz and/or hangover, which would include pretty much all the
Canadian whiskeys in my case.

A real wild turkey Beach Runner Vegan 29 04-12-2005 07:03 PM
Wild Rice and Turkey Soup [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2005 05:35 AM
Wild Turkey 101 vs. Wild Turkey Rye [email protected] General 0 22-02-2005 02:13 AM
skinned wild turkey breast Some Mike Barbecue 8 19-04-2004 01:15 AM
Wild Turkey 101-proof Rye Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 79 11-12-2003 01:27 PM