Red Hook

Default Spiced Rum Recipes

Last year for the holidays, I made some homemade Irish cream for some
friends, and I'd like to do something similar this year A friend of mine is
doing a project that requires empty Captain Morgans bottles, and as a
result, she gave me 10 liters of rum.

Neither my wife or I really like egg nog, but can anyone suggest other drink
recipes that use spiced rum and that can be stored for a few weeks? We're
in Southern California, so they don't have to be the warm, hang out by the
fire drinks. Tropical drinks are great as well!

Thanks,

Red Hook

Peggy

Red Hook wrote:

> Last year for the holidays, I made some homemade Irish cream for some
> friends, and I'd like to do something similar this year A friend of mine is
> doing a project that requires empty Captain Morgans bottles, and as a
> result, she gave me 10 liters of rum.
>
> Neither my wife or I really like egg nog, but can anyone suggest other drink
> recipes that use spiced rum and that can be stored for a few weeks? We're
> in Southern California, so they don't have to be the warm, hang out by the
> fire drinks. Tropical drinks are great as well!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Red Hook

Lucky you.

Mix it with just about any fruit juice. Orange, pineapple, and rum
trimmed with fresh fruit and a few of those red-dye-#2 Maraschino
cherries always reminds me of lazy days on Caribbean beaches. Or mix it
with pineapple juice and coconut cream. Experiment with passionfruit,
guava, even pomegranate juice. What've you got to lose?

Have fun!

Peg

Z GIRL

"Red Hook" > wrote in message
> Last year for the holidays, I made some homemade Irish cream for some
> friends, and I'd like to do something similar this year A friend of mine

is
> doing a project that requires empty Captain Morgans bottles, and as a
> result, she gave me 10 liters of rum.
>
> Neither my wife or I really like egg nog, but can anyone suggest other

drink
> recipes that use spiced rum and that can be stored for a few weeks? We're
> in Southern California, so they don't have to be the warm, hang out by the
> fire drinks. Tropical drinks are great as well!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Red Hook

Mix with Apple Cider, goes down very nice ;-)

peace,
Barbara

zxcvbob

Z GIRL wrote:
> "Red Hook" > wrote in message
>
>>Last year for the holidays, I made some homemade Irish cream for some
>>friends, and I'd like to do something similar this year A friend of mine

> is
>
>>doing a project that requires empty Captain Morgans bottles, and as a
>>result, she gave me 10 liters of rum.
>>
>>Neither my wife or I really like egg nog, but can anyone suggest other

> drink
>
>>recipes that use spiced rum and that can be stored for a few weeks? We're
>>in Southern California, so they don't have to be the warm, hang out by the
>>fire drinks. Tropical drinks are great as well!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Red Hook
>>

> Mix with Apple Cider, goes down very nice ;-)
>
> peace,
> Barbara

Cap'n Morgans is really good for basting fruitcakes.
And it's good mixed with 7-Up. I haven't tried using it in any rum drinks.

Bob

limey

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

> Cap'n Morgans is really good for basting fruitcakes.
> And it's good mixed with 7-Up. I haven't tried using it in any rum

drinks.

> Bob

Is there a way to spice up regular rum so that it's similar to Capt.
Morgan's?

Dora

Gunther Anderson

limey wrote:
> "zxcvbob" wrote in message
>
>>Cap'n Morgans is really good for basting fruitcakes.
>>And it's good mixed with 7-Up. I haven't tried using it in any rum
>>drinks.

> Is there a way to spice up regular rum so that it's similar to Capt.
> Morgan's?

Paul Knorr (maker of Barback software, which I assume is still at
www.barback.com) wrote me once with the following:

From Paul Knorr:

A few days ago, I posted a question in rec.food.drink regarding Spiced
Rum, asking how it was made. Jennifer Harris answered, saying that it
was basically just rum with vanilla extract. So I set out to test this,
and I think that I now have a good recipe for spiced rum (much cheaper
than buying it).

* 2 cups light (white) rum (I use Bacardi Light®)
* 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup sugar syrup (Meilach's 2:1 ratio)

Place in bottle and shake. Requires no aging although it may need to
settle after shaking.

So there you have it. Experiment a little, and you should have a flavor
you like as well.

Gunther Anderson

limey

"Gunther Anderson" wrote in message

> limey wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to spice up regular rum so that it's similar to Capt.
> > Morgan's?

> Paul Knorr (maker of Barback software, which I assume is still at
> www.barback.com) wrote me once with the following:
>
> From Paul Knorr:
>
> A few days ago, I posted a question in rec.food.drink regarding Spiced
> Rum, asking how it was made. Jennifer Harris answered, saying that it
> was basically just rum with vanilla extract. So I set out to test this,
> and I think that I now have a good recipe for spiced rum (much cheaper
> than buying it).
>
> * 2 cups light (white) rum (I use Bacardi Light®)
> * 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
> * 1/2 cup sugar syrup (Meilach's 2:1 ratio)
>
> Place in bottle and shake. Requires no aging although it may need to
> settle after shaking.
>

> So there you have it. Experiment a little, and you should have a flavor
> you like as well.
>
> Gunther Anderson

I'll be darned. Who would think it would be so simple! Thanks, Gunther.

Dora

Invitation to new Food, Recipes, Information, historic recipes,Vintage Recipes, etc. [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 0 09-12-2008 04:04 PM
Spiced Lentils Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2005 01:40 PM
Spiced Pumpkin Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-11-2005 02:49 AM
Hot Spiced Tea Momzilla Vegan 0 07-12-2004 03:04 PM
Spiced Rum Recipes Red Hook General Cooking 8 13-11-2003 11:52 PM