John Hall

Default How to get shooting sparks in Bailey's Comet?

A few years ago I was in a western bar in Calgary, and saw folks
drinking flaming shooters with orange sparks flying out. As the waiter
brought them to the table, the sparks made a graceful arc in the air.

In recent 'net searches I discovered recipes for a "Bailey's Comet":

Bailey's Irish Cream, Goldschlage, with cinnamon or grated nutmeg
sprinkled on. I have tried that, and with Sambuca, and a few other
variations, but can't get the sparks to shoot out. There are sparks
while the cinnamon is shaken into the drink, but not rising from the
surface and shooting out.

Yesterday I was in that same bar again, and asked the waitress. She
said they were perhaps Flaming Sambucas, but they don't have anything
to make sparks AFAIK. The barmaid suggested Green Chartreuse, but
ditto. Nobody there (that afternoon) knows how to make whatever it is.

Does anyone here know the trick?

--
John W Hall >
Cochrane, Alberta, Canada.