Reidİ

Default Pukka mealtimes

Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks

>> Only when it's orange. Don't the French or the Belgians call it 'chester'?
>>

>Cheshire cheese is a different matter - it should only come from Cheshire.

So you are a troll. Given that your irony alarm is off today, or
is it set to "send only"?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Reidİ" > wrote in message
> Following up to Peter H.M. Brooks
> > >Indeed. This is another protectionist measure, trade marking.

> you confuse free trade with fraud.
>
> The ethos of generic food production is one of "passing off" and
> lowest common denominator food production. Let each producer
> stand by his own reputation gained by his own hard work.

I agree that passing off is quite wrong. However, when you buy a lump of
cheddar, you will see on the label where it was made so there is no
confusion, just as with South African sherry.

--
"We pride ourselves on our peace and stability" - Zimbabwean President
Robert Mugabe

MC_Emily

"mUs1Ka" > wrote

> > Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

> I knew somebody was going to say that. I was going to go into a further
> description of the cup sound, but in the end, I couldn't be arsed.
> m.

Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

Jaqy

---

Don Aitken

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:34:52 +0100, "MC_Emily" >
wrote:

>"mUs1Ka" > wrote
>
>> > Maybe it's just me but 'cup' and 'full' have the same 'u' sound /

>> I knew somebody was going to say that. I was going to go into a further
>> description of the cup sound, but in the end, I couldn't be arsed.
>> m.

>Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

I believe so. Where I was brought up (Cumbria) we make one vowel do
for "cup", "full" and "love".

--
Don Aitken

Mail to the addresses given in the headers is no longer being
read. To mail me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com".
MC_Emily

"Don Aitken" > wrote

> >Oh. Is this another North/South thing?

> I believe so. Where I was brought up (Cumbria) we make one vowel do
> for "cup", "full" and "love".

Yeah, me too (Blackpool born and bred).

Jaqy

---

Robert Bannister

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
> "Robert Bannister" > wrote in message
>
>> Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

>>> have

>>> Indeed. No doubt some day the Yanks will be forced to think up
>>> some different name for the gnat's **** that they call
>>> 'Budweiser'.
>>>
>>> Presumably you are as shocked when you come accross cheese
>>> claiming to

> be
>
>>> cheddar that doesn't come from Cheddar.

>> Only when it's orange. Don't the French or the Belgians call it
>> 'chester'?
>>

> Cheshire cheese is a different matter - it should only come from
> Cheshire.

I know what Cheshire is like, but that's not what I was asking. When I
did my first exchange with a French speaking boy to Belgium, I was
offered something that sounded like 'shestair' and which looked and
tasted like Cheddar.

--
Rob Bannister

Peter H.M. Brooks

"Robert Bannister" > wrote in message
> Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
> > "Robert Bannister" > wrote in message
> > >

> > Cheshire cheese is a different matter - it should only come from
> > Cheshire.

> I know what Cheshire is like, but that's not what I was asking. When I
> did my first exchange with a French speaking boy to Belgium, I was
> offered something that sounded like 'shestair' and which looked and
> tasted like Cheddar.

Pity you didn't get the lad to write it down with his Aunty's pen.

--
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel
Kant

Reidİ

Following up to Robert Bannister

>I know what Cheshire is like, but that's not what I was asking. When I
>did my first exchange with a French speaking boy to Belgium, I was
>offered something that sounded like 'shestair' and which looked and
>tasted like Cheddar.

"Chester" references came up a few weeks ago, I don't think we
got to the bottom of it, it was re a food fest in Italy IIRC.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Reidİ

Following up to Reidİ

>>Cheshire cheese is a different matter - it should only come from Cheshire.

>So you are a troll.

I take that as a "yes" then.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap
Robert Goodrick

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote:

> . Beef comes from cattle, the location
> isn't important.

This I beg to differ, location has a lot to do with it.

Peter Moylan

Peter H.M. Brooks > wrote:

>In my youth there was a late night horror known as Twiggies Pie Cart. You
>could order a number of exotic dishes to stimulate the palate you could
>specify that 'hotters' were added. The pies were all at least a day old. If
>you made the mistake of dining there (for, at that time of night everything
>else was closed) you learned, early in life, quite what the combination of a
>bad hangover and heart burn felt like.

When I was a student, a group of us had the habit of getting together
at midnight each Friday for a card game. The hunger pangs used to
set in at about 4 a.m., and the only place open at that time of
night was a hamburger shop about half an hour's walk away. (In
those days, few students were rich enough to drive a car.) It took
us a while to learn that it was necessary to buy two hamburgers
per person: one for the trip home, and one to eat once we'd
arrived back to continue the card game.

Was the food any good? Who knows? After four hours of playing
poker you tend to be fairly well lubricated.

A year or two later we discovered that if we walked in a less
obvious direction we would get to the city's main fruit and
vegetable market, where people started work at roughly the same
time as the average student was going to bed. It was a longer
walk, but gave us a wider choice of food. As an added bonus,
the pubs were permitted to open at 6 a.m., being exempt from the
rule that said that "normal" pubs couldn't open until 10 a.m.

--
Peter Moylan
http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au (OS/2 and eCS information and software)
Peter H.M. Brooks

"Javi" > wrote in message
> The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks > in
> gave utterance as follows:
> >>

> > Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life
> > expectency.

> Do not believe everything you read. The fact is that life expectAncy in
> Spain is among the highest in the world; I cannot remember exactly, but

I'd
> say that it ranks inmediatly below Japan for women and not far for men.

Not quite! Greek and Italian life expetancy is higher. All three countries
share a similar diet, but Spain has the longest siestas. I'm not sure why
the Turks don't live so long though...

> > I suppose that, if enough thought were put to the matter,
> > with hydraulic beds that gently lever you into a vertical position
> > over the final ten minutes of your kip this might be addressed that
> > way. It seems that we haven't evolved for long siestaring

> We? Who is "we"? We have a long tradition of siesting, and reaching eighty
> something years old is not rare in my family. Maybe I'm of a different
> species: homo siestans.
>
> Now, seriously, sleeping for a long time (more than an hour) in the
> afternoon seems to be not good, but a short siesta (around half an hour)

is
> a great thing.

My idea of perfection is probably a ten minute siestaette at lunch time,
then another ten minute siestaette at afternoon tea time.

--
'They.. sucked the Tobacco smoak in greedily, swallow it down with the
Water. For which reason..generally at..the first Pipe in the Morning, they

Javi

The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks > in
gave utterance as follows:

> "Javi" > wrote in message
>> The carbon unit using the name Peter H.M. Brooks > in
>> gave utterance as follows:
>>>>
>>> Maybe. The study showed that siestas tended to reduce life
>>> expectency.

>> Do not believe everything you read. The fact is that life expectAncy
>> in Spain is among the highest in the world; I cannot remember
>> exactly, but I'd say that it ranks inmediatly below Japan for women
>> and not far for men.
>>

> Not quite! Greek and Italian life expetancy is higher. All three
> countries share a similar diet, but Spain has the longest siestas.
> I'm not sure why the Turks don't live so long though...

Muslims, no wine; also, their national health service is worse.

--
Saludos cordiales

Javi

Conjunction of an irregular verb: