Sylvia

Default Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil

> When the recipe calls for vegetable oil, I often use Extra Virgin
Olive Oil.

I do too, and have never had a problem because most baking recipes call
for relatively small amounts of oil. I wouldn't use olive oil in
something like a chiffon cake, where oil is a significant ingredient,
because I don't think it would improve the taste.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Sylvia

I think peanut oil is the best for frying, period. High smoking point
and delicious flavor. As others have pointed out, olive oil has a
(relatively) low smoking point and isn't the best choice for frying. I
don't use Crisco solid at all, since it's an artificially hydrogenated
fat, and Crisco liquid is just vegetable oil by any other name.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Hahabogus

Sylvia > wrote in
:

> > When the recipe calls for vegetable oil, I often use Extra Virgin

> Olive Oil.
>
> I do too, and have never had a problem because most baking recipes call
> for relatively small amounts of oil. I wouldn't use olive oil in
> something like a chiffon cake, where oil is a significant ingredient,
> because I don't think it would improve the taste.

I use olive oil (EVOO) in salad dressings only, because it has a nice
flavour and can balance out the dressing. I use canola oil for frying
because it is the most nuetral tasting affordable oil around. I use peanut
oil for deep frying because of it nuetral taste and high smoking point. I
use nuetral tasting oils (canola mostly), butter or margerine for baking.
There also are the oils I use to add flavour the most common being sesame
oil.
Tigsnona

I follow French cordon bleu methods for the use of oils. It has
never failed me (yet). I use extra virgin olive oil for anything that
does not require a bland oil infusion. So, when fast frying
schnitzel or anything Italian I use olive oil.

If I am making French mayonnaise I use salad (canola or soya) oil -
whatever, it is an oil with no added flavour. I have found that
using extra virgin olive oil for this sort of mayonnaise interferes
with the traditional dressing and I personally don't like that. I
asked a chef friend and he agreed (surprisingly, because we don't
always!). However, if you like French mayonnaise with an olive
flavour then by all means use olive oil.

I use grapeseed oil for a number of things. It is a very good (and
bland) oil with immense goodness as well. It is high quality oil and
quite expensive.

If I am wok-cooking Asian I generally use peanut oil (with a dash of
sesame oil as well).

I never ever use any oils when grilling steaks. I use garlic butter -
but never oil.

TigsNona
Rosie Miller

>If I am making French mayonnaise I use salad (canola or soya) oil -
>whatever, it is an oil with no added flavour. I have found that
>using extra virgin olive oil for this sort of mayonnaise interferes
>with the traditional dressing and I personally don't like that. I
>asked a chef friend and he agreed (surprisingly, because we don't
>always!). However, if you like French mayonnaise with an olive
>flavour then by all means use olive oil.
>
>I use grapeseed oil for a number of things. It is a very good (and
>bland) oil with immense goodness as well. It is high quality oil and
>quite expensive.
>
>If I am wok-cooking Asian I generally use peanut oil (with a dash of
>sesame oil as well).
>
>I never ever use any oils when grilling steaks. I use garlic butter -
>but never oil.

I used to make my mayonaise with oil that had no flavor, but decided that I
liked the flavor that the olive il gives to the mayonaise, so now I use it.
Rosie