Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

Default Grocery Prices

Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
everything daily?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ms_peacock wrote:
> "jay" > wrote in message
> news
>> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
>> everything daily?

> No, diesel is. Diesel runs the tractors and other field equipment and
> diesel runs the trucks that brings the products to you.
>
> Ms P

Not to mention the overwhelming heat waves.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ,
jmcquown > typed:
> ms_peacock wrote:
>> "jay" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
>>> everything daily?

>> No, diesel is. Diesel runs the tractors and other field equipment
>> and
>> diesel runs the trucks that brings the products to you.
>>
>> Ms P

> Not to mention the overwhelming heat waves.
>
> Jill

Diesel brings the heat waves?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 27 Aug 2006,
typed out:

> Not to mention the overwhelming heat waves.

Yep! No doubt a lot of the farm crops have been suffering. Yesterday and
today were the first measureable rain we've had in PA in Auguest.

The farmers are jumping for joy, I'll bet.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

No, diesel is. Diesel runs the tractors and other field equipment and
diesel runs the trucks that brings the products to you.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kato Kalin aka SQWERTZ wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:13:28 -0400, BOB wrote:
>
> > In ,
> > jmcquown > typed:
> >
> >> Not to mention the overwhelming heat waves.

> > Diesel brings the heat waves?

> Apparently Jill like to sit her ass on top of 18-wheeler's
> exhaust pipes. That would explain all her hot air, too.

Actually SQWERTZ, Jill is *correct*. The long heatwave in California
(and some other places) greatly reduced the output of produce that the
rest of is in the country depend on. This CA shortage encourages
producers in other areas to jack up the prices on their stuff and so...

The last few weeks a lot of the CA - sourced produce here in Chicawgo
has been *dire* -- crummy and high - priced. I was appalled that some
of this stuff was even offered for sale, it looked so pitiful*...

[*But not as pitiful as Y - O - U, Sqwertz. The produce will re -
bound. You won't...]

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

IIRC a barrel of oil was $17.00 just after 9/11. Now oil hovers in the
$70.00+ barrel range.

Considering this, I'm pleasantly surprised that prices for everything
aren't a LOT higher...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

Pretty much IMHO.
Stuff has to be trucked in.

That takes fuel. :-(
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:22:21 -0700, Gregory Morrow wrote:

> jay wrote:
>
>> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
>> everything daily?

> IIRC a barrel of oil was $17.00 just after 9/11. Now oil hovers in the
> $70.00+ barrel range.
>
> Considering this, I'm pleasantly surprised that prices for everything
> aren't a LOT higher...

I does seem that things are not just a little higher .. some products are
up 100% plus.. sounds like a piggy back excuse to me.. but we
are glad to get good groceries and we know the farmer is getting f^*cked
still...and the middle men are using the cost of gas to fill their pockets
full.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

Not gas by itself, but oil (and other energy) in every form. Bad year for a
lot of crops too. We've not yet seen all the repercussions of the high oil
prices. From the farmer, rancher to the cost of heating the store, energy
cost is way up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SQWERTZ squirms:

> You can now take a bow, hero.

Thank you, I am *honoured* to be spoken of as one of Jill's pals on this
froup...

Now run along, SQWERTZ, go dig up your dead wife and diddle her or
something...yer sockpuppet routine is getting kind of "old"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> Diesel brings the heat waves?

In a roundabout way, yes. As well as all the other fossil fuels.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay > wrote:
>Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
>everything daily?

The excuse.

The reason is that Dumbya is throwing away money on military
misadventures and selling our country to the Chinese one
T-bill at a time.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> The reason is that Dumbya is throwing away money on military
> misadventures and selling our country to the Chinese one
> T-bill at a time

No, Walmart is funding the Chinese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> jay > wrote:
> >Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> >everything daily?

> The excuse.
>
> The reason is that Dumbya is throwing away money on military
> misadventures and selling our country to the Chinese one
> T-bill at a time.

And conspiring with the elites in Mexico to use the US as a dumping ground
for poor Mexicans and other Third Worlders in order to drive down wages and
benefits for US workers and so drive up profits for the US ruling elites...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jay > wrote:

> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

I haven't noticed daily price increases in the groceries I buy. I am
sure the increased cost of gas adds to the cost of anything that
requires motor transport, but gas prices have been pretty stable lately.
In fact, in the Southern NJ area where I live, the price of gas has
dropped by about 20 cents a gallon over the past two weeks or so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

I've got to get to a local locker .....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

> I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

Man, bacon has become very pricey. So, when I saw that they had
Hormel bacon on sale, three for the price of one, what the heck, I
picked them up. Came to $2 apiece, they only had the low salt
version left. I have never had that brand before. I really just wanted
some to put in my quiche. I don't usually buy that brand of anything.

I was surprised, it wasn't bad and it didn't disappear in the frying
of it, I've seen that phenomenon. You can never tell with bacon
anymore. Iffy proposition.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
$3.00 a package??
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> jay wrote:
> > Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> > everything daily?

> I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> typically unsatisfactory in quality.)
>
> I've got to get to a local locker .....

You know, I think I'm going to get several of my friends together so as to
place a big order from the locker near my old hometown (south of Muscatine
IA). If you buy a "bundled" package the meat is pretty reasonable...and
surely better quality than what we get in the Chicawgo stupormarkets:

http://www.reasonsprairiepride.com

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message

> No, Walmart is funding the Chinese.

And we are funding WalMart. As long as we insist on the lowest possible
price, no matter the source or how it gets there. WalMart will thrive.

I always hear how WalMart puts the little stores out of business. Not so.
The customer that no longer go there puts them out of business, they those
people blame WalMart for the choice they made themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> No, Walmart is funding the Chinese.

> And we are funding WalMart. As long as we insist on the lowest possible
> price, no matter the source or how it gets there. WalMart will thrive.

Absolutely. We can't have it both ways. I certainly recognize this.
The few times I've been in the Walmart here (under duress at that) I
wasn't very impressed with the produce, and disgusted with the saline
laden meats.
I don't need the hassle of the parking lot or store the size of a
football field either, when I want to shop.
I am not a Walmart fan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Goomba38
@comcast.net says...
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> > here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> > typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

> Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
> $3.00 a package??
> Goomba

Curiously the Shaw's brand bacon isn't bad. But it's $3.29 a pound, just
bought some tonight.

The other brands were selling for $5+

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>
>> No, Walmart is funding the Chinese.

>And we are funding WalMart. As long as we insist on the lowest possible
>price, no matter the source or how it gets there. WalMart will thrive.

It's not our insistence. Demand doesn't drive prices
the way you think it does. Supply always has the ability
to control prices. In Wal-Mart's case, the junta is keeping
them from having to pay decent wages or provide benefits.

Wal-mart is one of the means by which the junta is keeping
inflation from appearing to be out of control.

>I always hear how WalMart puts the little stores out of business. Not so.

Is so. Happens all the time in small towns. Wal-mart
brings in crappy quality and shit jobs and no security
(WM parking lots are notorious for attracting danger;
WM has trees of cameras on the roof of every store now,
but the images are ridiculously poor quality because of
course they use far cheaper cameras than the application
requires; they're only there for PR and legal damage
control purposes).

>The customer that no longer go there puts them out of business, they those
>people blame WalMart for the choice they made themselves.

Uh-huh. The part about crappy quality and shit wages
doesn't enter into it at all...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message

> It's not our insistence. Demand doesn't drive prices
> the way you think it does. Supply always has the ability
> to control prices. In Wal-Mart's case, the junta is keeping
> them from having to pay decent wages or provide benefits.

There is supply, but often at a little higher price. I can go to my local
paint store and buy everything I need, but it will cost me about $5 a gallon
more for the quality paint versus the stuff WalMart has. I choose to pay
that, others don't. You have a choice.

..

> Is so. Happens all the time in small towns. Wal-mart
> brings in crappy quality and shit jobs and no security

And who makes the choice to go there? We do. If we (the collective "we")
did not empty our wallets in that big box store, they would go out of
business. There are no laws making you shop at a particualr store. Yes,
you may save 25¢ on that box of laundy detergent, but it is still available
at the same store that had it for the first part of your life before
WalMart. Your choice.

>>The customer that no longer go there puts them out of business, they those
>>people blame WalMart for the choice they made themselves.

> Uh-huh. The part about crappy quality and shit wages
> doesn't enter into it at all...

Right. Where did those people work before WalMart came to town? Sure, some
could not find anything else, but the other 90% can. If no one wanted to
work there, they would go someplace else. As long as people are willing to
work for shit wages, there is no incentive to pay more. If 100 people line
up for a $7 hour job, there is little reason to offer $10.

Too many people expect others to make their way in life for them. You have
to take responsibility for your own life and go out and find the better job,
be willing to pay a higher price at the local stores. No one is forced to
work at any job. All you have to do is walk out, or don't apply in the first
place.

Read this http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

Then read this http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...n_snapper.html

It shows what a company can do when the management has the balls to say no
as opposed to sell at any cost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> > here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> > typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

> Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
> $3.00 a package??
> Goomba

It was $4.99/pound at my main (large) supermarket here in SE Iowa.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:00:22 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> >> I'd be curious to know why national branded bacon is $5/pound, right
> >> here in the middle of pork country. (Store brand is half that, but
> >> typically unsatisfactory in quality.)

> > Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
> > $3.00 a package??

> $1.60lb at CostCo (in a 4-pack). This stuff cooks up too thin. I
> think it's adulterated/pumped-up somehow (err...more than most
> bacon, that is).
>
> -sw

We used to get 'shrink-proof' bacon in every butcher's shop in Britain until
the stupid markets slithered in, under the guise of 'Everything we sell is
unbeatable in value and of a high quality'. They cornered almost every market
and drove other smaller businesses to the wall.

All we get now is pumped ut bacon like a car tyre. But the sneaky thing is
that you can't tell until you cook it!! We're all too lazy to complain and
just try another stupid market. Yep, I know, it's really our own fault for
falling for the 3 card trick. I still feel peeved though, at how they have
devalued taste and and reduced everything to the lowest common denominator:
'their value for their money'. Hell it doesn't take an Einstein to work out
who's being duped!!

Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:33:20 -0500, Alan wrote:

>>> Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
>>> $3.00 a package??

>>$1.60lb at CostCo (in a 4-pack). This stuff cooks up too thin. I
>>think it's adulterated/pumped-up somehow (err...more than most
>>bacon, that is).
>>
>>-sw

>It runs from US $3.49 to $5.99 where I shop.
>
>I don't usually buy bacon, but that seems a little high, to me.
>
>Alan Moorman

I see a range of prices for bacon here. I have been buying Farmland
bacon here, as I saw it was judged as the best tasting supermarket
bacon, on America's Test Kitchen... I can go to one store, and pay
about $4/pound..and to another store and pay $3/pound for it. And
everything in between at other stores.

I have been reading the thread on charcuterie, on eGullet, and that
thread has convinced me to start making my own bacon as money loosens
up a bit...and I can afford to buy a smoker. Evidently the bacon
method in the book Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman is superb, and
produces a top notch bacon...to die for, as some have expressed.

For those interested in the thread:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=79195

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-29, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Note that many bacons are no longer 1lb, but rather 12 ounces. Be
> sure to check that when pricing bacon.

I don't even bother with package bacon, anymore. It's pretty much all crap.
I'd rather pay extra for non-adulterated bulk bacon, even if I have to
buy less. Problem now is finding it. :\

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...
> In message Steve Wertz > wrote:

> > > Oscar Mayer is my bacon of choice. Last time I bought it I paid maybe
> > > $3.00 a package??

> > $1.60lb at CostCo (in a 4-pack). This stuff cooks up too thin. I
> > think it's adulterated/pumped-up somehow (err...more than most
> > bacon, that is).
> >
> > -sw

> We used to get 'shrink-proof' bacon in every butcher's shop in Britain until
> the stupid markets slithered in, under the guise of 'Everything we sell is
> unbeatable in value and of a high quality'. They cornered almost every market
> and drove other smaller businesses to the wall.
>
> All we get now is pumped ut bacon like a car tyre. But the sneaky thing is
> that you can't tell until you cook it!! We're all too lazy to complain and
> just try another stupid market. Yep, I know, it's really our own fault for
> falling for the 3 card trick. I still feel peeved though, at how they have
> devalued taste and and reduced everything to the lowest common denominator:
> 'their value for their money'. Hell it doesn't take an Einstein to work out
> who's being duped!!
>
> Don

And what is it with Sainsbury that they sold of the Shaw's and Star
Markets here in the U.S. to Albertsons. Now Albertsons is dumping them
on SuperValue and CVS.

There used to be a fair amount of stability in the grocery market. Now
it's sell, sell, sell.

But Dutch giant Royal Ahold still owns Stop & Shop. I doubt they'll ever
give that away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
>
>> It's not our insistence. Demand doesn't drive prices
>> the way you think it does. Supply always has the ability
>> to control prices. In Wal-Mart's case, the junta is keeping
>> them from having to pay decent wages or provide benefits.

>There is supply, but often at a little higher price. I can go to my local
>paint store and buy everything I need, but it will cost me about $5 a gallon
>more for the quality paint versus the stuff WalMart has. I choose to pay
>that, others don't. You have a choice.

Adam Smith would take away your credit card.

You don't have a choice unless you have unlimited
money. If you don't have unlimited money, you do
the majority of your choosing based on price.

>Too many people expect others to make their way in life for them. You have
>to take responsibility for your own life and go out and find the better job,
>be willing to pay a higher price at the local stores. No one is forced to
>work at any job.

Tell that to a mother of four who's 4 hours of wages
away from an eviction notice.

It is not possible in this world to live off the fat of
the land unless you own the land, in which case you have
enough assets to live without working anyway.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> In article >, says...

> > > $1.60lb at CostCo (in a 4-pack). This stuff cooks up too thin. I
> > > think it's adulterated/pumped-up somehow (err...more than most
> > > bacon, that is).
> > >
> > > -sw

> > We used to get 'shrink-proof' bacon in every butcher's shop in Britain until
> > the stupid markets slithered in, under the guise of 'Everything we sell is
> > unbeatable in value and of a high quality'. They cornered almost every market
> > and drove other smaller businesses to the wall.
> >
> > All we get now is pumped ut bacon like a car tyre. But the sneaky thing is
> > that you can't tell until you cook it!! We're all too lazy to complain and
> > just try another stupid market. Yep, I know, it's really our own fault for
> > falling for the 3 card trick. I still feel peeved though, at how they have
> > devalued taste and and reduced everything to the lowest common denominator:
> > 'their value for their money'. Hell it doesn't take an Einstein to work out
> > who's being duped!!
> >
> > Don

> And what is it with Sainsbury that they sold of the Shaw's and Star
> Markets here in the U.S. to Albertsons. Now Albertsons is dumping them
> on SuperValue and CVS.
>
> There used to be a fair amount of stability in the grocery market. Now
> it's sell, sell, sell.

Our Osco Drug (of the Jewell/Osco family) have recently been sold to
CVS, and I can tell you, I'm not ever going to be shopping there -
prices on a lot of staple stuff are double what they are at K-Mart, and
a lot higher than even Walgreen's. I don't know how they're going to
stay in business when they can't hope to compete with a store across
the street. It will be interesting to watch.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Aug 2006 08:15:17 -0700, "Nancy2" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Our Osco Drug (of the Jewell/Osco family) have recently been sold to
>CVS, and I can tell you, I'm not ever going to be shopping there -
>prices on a lot of staple stuff are double what they are at K-Mart, and
>a lot higher than even Walgreen's. I don't know how they're going to
>stay in business when they can't hope to compete with a store across
>the street. It will be interesting to watch.

It's SavOn here in SoCal that has CVS resplacing it in many places
(SavOn is supposed to move into Albertsons's, but none that I've seen
yet). The turnover isn't complete, so I'm reserving judgment.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> Is GAS the reason or only the excuse for prices rising for nearly
> everything daily?

Also, don't forget the influence of that butterfly in Japan.