Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dirty rice

Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
modom's dictionary.

However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.

BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
For me.

It must be true love.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 26 Aug 2006 04:45:50p, modom (palindrome guy) meant to
say...

> Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
> natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
> form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
> modom's dictionary.
>
> However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
> and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
> rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
> overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.
>
> BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
> livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
> making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
> Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
> For me.
>
> It must be true love.

Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice. Go
figger.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
> and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
> rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
> overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.
>
> It must be true love.
> --

True love or to blave? Why push your luck? Maybe she'd like any kind of
sausage vice chicken livers. I know it's a variation, but I'm sure the
ur-cajun, having sausage and no livers, would not have said "we can't
do dirty rice."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice.
> Go figger.

The funny thing is I one of those that think there isn't enough onions on
the planet to make liver, any liver eatable. With that said I love dirty
rice and boudin (made with pork shoulder & pork liver). It has never made
sense to me at all, how I can love those and gage on liver by itself.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South
>> Beach and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat
>> dirty rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom
>> is an overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served
>> here.
>>
>> It must be true love.
>> --

> True love or to blave?

LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 27 Aug 2006 05:05:44a, Joe Cilinceon meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice.
>> Go figger.

> The funny thing is I one of those that think there isn't enough onions on
> the planet to make liver, any liver eatable. With that said I love dirty
> rice and boudin (made with pork shoulder & pork liver). It has never made
> sense to me at all, how I can love those and gage on liver by itself.

I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love chopped
liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and onions with
bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my family used to
make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which was made of pork
liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and sage. Another dish I
like is sauteed chicken livers with onions, peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Aug 2006 20:09:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
>least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love chopped
>liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and onions with
>bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my family used to
>make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which was made of pork
>liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and sage. Another dish I
>like is sauteed chicken livers with onions, peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

Wayne the liver pudding sounds a bit like pate de campagne, except for
the sage. Do you know the history of the recipe? And could you share
the recipe?

D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
French. In France I have seen her eat many a liver pate snack, not to
mention fois gras. Hell, I even saw her eat boudin noir (blood
sausage) once.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 27 Aug 2006 02:59:56p, modom (palindrome guy) meant to
say...

> On 27 Aug 2006 20:09:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
>>least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love
>>chopped liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and
>>onions with bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my
>>family used to make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which
>>was made of pork liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and
>>sage. Another dish I like is sauteed chicken livers with onions,
>>peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

> Wayne the liver pudding sounds a bit like pate de campagne, except for
> the sage. Do you know the history of the recipe? And could you share
> the recipe?

Yes, it is rather like that, but cooked differently. Growing up, I knew
nothing about paté, but later realized the similarity. Michael, I'll be
glad to post it, but I need to refer back to my mother's notes. I'll do
that quite soon.

> D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
> French. In France I have seen her eat many a liver pate snack, not to
> mention fois gras. Hell, I even saw her eat boudin noir (blood
> sausage) once.

It's funny what people will eat given other factors. I find that true with
myself as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

User Error: replace user and press any key to continue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:27:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
>> French.

> It's funny what people will eat given other factors.

Yes! .. and they did come up with the tickler. Actually I love *dirty*
rice and Paul Prudhomme's recipe is the best ever!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

> Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
> natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
> form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
> modom's dictionary.
>
> However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
> and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
> rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
> overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.
>
> BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
> livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
> making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
> Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
> For me.
>
> It must be true love.

The recipe I've used for dirty rice for umpteen years uses ground up
chicken gizzards. SO had never heard of it before he met me. He is now
a convert.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> stark wrote:
> >> It must be true love.
> >> --

> > True love or to blave?

> LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?
>
> Jill

More than once. I can do most of the parts. Princess Buttercup is my
weakest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> True love or to blave?

>> LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?
>>
>> Jill

> More than once. I can do most of the parts. Princess Buttercup is my
> weakest.

How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice
and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice
> and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
this man could fill a stage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote

> jmcquown wrote:
>> How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is
>> nice
>> and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

> Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
> back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
> always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
> this man could fill a stage.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> > Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
> > back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
> > always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
> > this man could fill a stage.

> I don't think that means what you think it means.
>
> nancy

Hmmmmmmm. What do you think I think it means? I think I meant that
some people have a presence; Potemkin's is very large. You can even see
it in his Crestor ad--ads that I usually refuse to watch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
>> > back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
>> > always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
>> > this man could fill a stage.

>> I don't think that means what you think it means.

> Hmmmmmmm. What do you think I think it means?

It's just another line from the movie, The Princess Bride.

> I think I meant that
> some people have a presence; Potemkin's is very large. You can even see
> it in his Crestor ad--ads that I usually refuse to watch.

All those prescription drug ads are to be avoided.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote:

> BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
> livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
> making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
> Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
> For me.
>
> It must be true love.
> --
> modom

Must be. I hope you were good to her after all that, Michael. A woman
who would do that for her man deserves whatever she loves most. :-)

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nola wrote:
> Apparently not so large that it would help you remember his name; the
> actor you refer to is Mandy Patinkin.

Hmmmmmm. Guess I was thinking of the battleship, which is even larger.