Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source of Tones spices?

I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)

Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns. Thanks.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 25 Aug
2006, typed out:

>I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

ROFLMAO!

Good luck! LOL!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
> to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
> anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
> peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)
>
> Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
> don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.

Thanks.

> Bob

It would appear that our local Sam's Club (Friendswood, TX) the Tone's
peppercorns I currently use have been discontinued except as a special order
and at that you have to purchase 6 lb. which is more than I can handle.

http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=46

Currently, I am placing a Penzys order and have added these to my order
per a recommendation... Peppercorns India Special Extra Bold

I've been told they have very good.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
> to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
> anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
> peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)
>
> Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
> don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.

Thanks.

> Bob

check BJ's (similar to Sam's) if there is one in your area. They usually
carry Tone's.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
> to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
> anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
> peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)
>
> Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
> don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns. Thanks.
>
> Bob

Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
Tone's!
We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
> Tone's!
> We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> frou-frou herb and spice store...

Surely you know about their mail order end?
Aren't Tones spices those big restaurant sized bottles often found in
discount places? I dunno why, I just assumed they were low quality. <shrug>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
> > Tone's!
> > We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> > way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> > frou-frou herb and spice store...

> Surely you know about their mail order end?

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
almost everything (due to privacy issues).

> Aren't Tones spices those big restaurant sized bottles often found in
> discount places? I dunno why, I just assumed they were low quality. <shrug>

They do sell in large quantities but also sell in small. They used to
have a wonderful spice rack in the Cub's Foods stores in and around
DesMoines, Iowa ca. 1985. When I used their products, they were a
small company located in the Quad Cities in Iowa, IIRC. Now they own
Durkee, and Spice Islands along with a few other brands. I am sure the
products between them are now all the same; Tone's used to be different
and had very good spices.

I think I will roadtrip to Penzey's the next time I have some time away
from DS. I really would like to see the store.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
> almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Then open the catalog and pull out the order form and enclose a check.
Works almost as fast as chargeing it every time I've done that with
Penzey's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
> > almost everything (due to privacy issues).

> Then open the catalog and pull out the order form and enclose a check.
> Works almost as fast as chargeing it every time I've done that with
> Penzey's.

LOL...I ordered a new catalog but it hasn't come yet.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L wrote:

> I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we
> pay cash for almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Witness Relocation Program, huh?

I mean really, who ELSE needs to hide like that?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Bob -

If I may offer a suggestion. I have used the Tones brand in the past,
but a few years ago I found a spice merchant that excels in the
quality of spices that they sell. If interested, please go to:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

They also produce a catalog you can order from their web site. If
your interested in spices, it's THE place to look at.

I have no interest in the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Regards,

Rich

>I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
>to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
>anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
>peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)
>
>Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
>don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns. Thanks.
>
>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...

> We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> frou-frou herb and spice store...

Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good. If
they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> -L wrote:
>
> > I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we
> > pay cash for almost everything (due to privacy issues).

> Witness Relocation Program, huh?
>
> I mean really, who ELSE needs to hide like that?
>
> Bob

The paranoid? Usenet loonies? People who don't want the gumment to
find them?

;-)
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> > way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> > frou-frou herb and spice store...
> >

> Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good. If
> they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
> Graham

My daughter loved Penzey's when she was small. She was 5 at the time,
IIRC. I showed her the differences between several different types of
vanilla, and she's better at it than I am.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote: People who don't want the gumment to
> find them?

Bingo! Give the lady her Twinkie!
Da Gubmint don't need to know nuttin' 'bout me...

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> > way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> > frou-frou herb and spice store...
> >

> Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good. If
> they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
> Graham

LOL...Well, he likes to smell things so much I may not ever get out of
the store. This kid is a Master Sniffer - he smells everything!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L., after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 26 Aug 2006,
typed out:

> graham wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>> >
>> > We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is
>> > no way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into
>> > a frou-frou herb and spice store...
>> >

>> Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good.
>> If they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
>> Graham

> LOL...Well, he likes to smell things so much I may not ever get out of
> the store. This kid is a Master Sniffer - he smells everything!
>
> -L.

-L.,

Take care of that boy! You might just have a wunderkind of tastebuds on
your lap!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> -L., after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 26 Aug 2006,
> typed out:
>

>> graham wrote:
>>> "-L." > wrote in message
>>> ps.com...

>>> Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good.
>>> If they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
>>> Graham

>> LOL...Well, he likes to smell things so much I may not ever get out of
>> the store. This kid is a Master Sniffer - he smells everything!
>>
>> -L.

> -L.,
>
> Take care of that boy! You might just have a wunderkind of tastebuds on
> your lap!

I think it's a bit early to introduce him to good Bordeaux:-))
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> -L., after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 26 Aug
>> 2006, typed out:

>>> LOL...Well, he likes to smell things so much I may not ever get out
>>> of the store. This kid is a Master Sniffer - he smells everything!
>>>
>>> -L.

>> -L.,
>>
>> Take care of that boy! You might just have a wunderkind of tastebuds
>> on your lap!
>>

> I think it's a bit early to introduce him to good Bordeaux:-))
> Graham

Not if you live in Paris Oh, but she doesn't... so, spot on, Graham.
Should be beer

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> I think it's a bit early to introduce him to good Bordeaux:-))
> Graham

Actually he loves smelling wine and beer - and tea and especially
coffee. Ever had a dog or cat who went nutso over the smell of
something? That's my kid with coffee. It's like catnip to a cat, for
him.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> graham wrote:
>>>

>> I think it's a bit early to introduce him to good Bordeaux:-))
>> Graham

> Actually he loves smelling wine and beer - and tea and especially
> coffee. Ever had a dog or cat who went nutso over the smell of
> something? That's my kid with coffee. It's like catnip to a cat, for
> him.
>
> -L.

Persia doesn't go nuts over catnip, unlike other cats... she gets a little
silly but not much My dog Sampson did go nuts over a big ham bone, but
he's been dead for a long time

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > graham wrote:
> >>>
> >> I think it's a bit early to introduce him to good Bordeaux:-))

> > Ever had a dog or cat who went nutso over the smell of
> > something? That's my kid with coffee. It's like catnip to a cat, for
> > him.

> Persia doesn't go nuts over catnip, unlike other cats... she gets a little
> silly but not much My dog Sampson did go nuts over a big ham bone, but
> he's been dead for a long time

I never heard of a dog dying from sniffing a bone, ham or otherwise.

Sheldon Crotchbone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." wrote:

> Actually he loves smelling wine and beer - and tea and especially
> coffee. Ever had a dog or cat who went nutso over the smell of
> something? That's my kid with coffee. It's like catnip to a cat, for
> him.

Maybe you should start roasting your own coffee.
It will fill the house with coffee aroma.
I have one of these:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml

I roast coffee a couple times per week, but
almost daily also use it for roasting pumpkin
seeds that I buy at Trader Joe's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Aug 2006 02:54:09 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Actually he loves smelling wine and beer - and tea and especially
>coffee. Ever had a dog or cat who went nutso over the smell of
>something? That's my kid with coffee. It's like catnip to a cat, for
>him.

How cute! I bet he would be beside himself in a spice store. You do
have a little gourmand on your hands.

My cat goes bonkers at the scent of olives and Obsession perfume.
He'll eat one of those perfumed strip magazine ads if I don't get it
away from him fast enough.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
> to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
> anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
> peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)
>
> Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
> don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

Tne Brothers is related to some other spice/heb companies. See:

http://www.spiceadvice.com/corporate/about_us.html

Note, there is also contact information, so maybe they can
help you find the Malabar pepper.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Maybe you should start roasting your own coffee.
> It will fill the house with coffee aroma.
> I have one of these:
>
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml
>
> I roast coffee a couple times per week, but
> almost daily also use it for roasting pumpkin
> seeds that I buy at Trader Joe's.

Oooh - roasting pumpkin seeds in it...that's an excellent idea!
I don't drink enough coffee to make it worth my while. I love it but
the acid is too much for me.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> My cat goes bonkers at the scent of olives

I had a friend whose cat would roll around on a plate after it had
olives on it - I wonder what turns them on about it?

>and Obsession perfume.
> He'll eat one of those perfumed strip magazine ads if I don't get it
> away from him fast enough.

LOL...now that's a new one!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Persia doesn't go nuts over catnip, unlike other cats... she gets a little
> silly but not much

She probably lacked the catnip gene. Lack of it is common in some
breeds - like Siamese.

My dog Sampson did go nuts over a big ham bone, but
> he's been dead for a long time

Dogs love that smoky flavor and smell.

-L.

spices gregz General Cooking 0 13-10-2011 02:10 PM
Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 05:38 PM
"I also think that mature wines have much more savory tones thanyoung wines, which lean much on fruit, thus making mature wines muchfriendlier to a varied menu." aesthete8 Wine 8 05-11-2010 03:12 AM
Speaking of pepper. Was Source of Tones spices? Andy General Cooking 8 26-08-2006 05:47 PM
Rated The Best Ring tones Providers [email protected] General Cooking 24 06-08-2006 11:24 PM