Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll

Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?

Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

Thanks,

Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hermit wrote:
> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Isn't Nancy Young the official RFC Taylor Ham Maven?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hermit wrote:
> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I think it's an acquired taste thing, originating somewhere in the
Northeast. I've seen 'em here in the Mid-South at Kroger in the deli
section. Looked sort of like a large roll of rag-wrapped baloney. It
cost nine bucks which seemed like a lot to me for just a taste, so I
passed. May have missed a bit of heaven or a whole lot of yuk!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 23 Aug 2006 03:24:08a, hermit meant to say...

> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

IMHO, it's glorified SPAM. I was very disappointed the first and only time I
ever tried it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell
belongs there

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote

> hermit wrote:
>> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
>> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
>> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

> Isn't Nancy Young the official RFC Taylor Ham Maven?

(laugh) One would think so. Rich, I saw the beginning of the show you
mentioned, I meant to catch the part about Taylor ham but I missed it.

If you look by the bacon in your store, you might see it (you're in
the US?), in wrapped in burlap, up near the top of the case. If they
have that, look more closely around, you should also see it comes
sliced (thick or thin) in a box. Been a long time, but I'm almost
positive the box is red/orange, mostly. It's a cheaper way to check
it out.

Used to be you could only get it around here, but my impression is
that they have really branched out.

There is nothing to be afraid of about it, like ooooo I'm scared to
taste it. (laugh) People who grew up in Jersey and move away,
they miss it. I like it. Please report back if you find it or not?
Even if you don't get it. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
hermit > wrote:

> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

Being as though I live in New Jersey, I can tell you about Taylor Pork
Roll. The flavor is a bit like bologna. I don't like it; its too bland
for my taste.

If you're curious about Taylor Pork Roll, you maybe be able to find it
locally. Look in a large grocery store in the refrigerated section where
the bacon, sausage, and other breakfast meats are sold.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:24:08 -0400, hermit > wrote:

>Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
>Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
>intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
>sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

As Wayne mentioned, it bears some resemblance to Spam. It's not as
soft or fatty, though. I call it Yuppy Spam. I enjoy it fried. I've
never made it into sandwiches, as Nancy suggests, though, because I
gobble it up as soon as it's cool enough to eat.

There is a certain, prescribed way of making TPR sandwiches, which I'm
sure Nancy will be happy to share with us. )

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
> >
> > Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> > intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> > sell this, but I am interested in the taste.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rich

> IMHO, it's glorified SPAM. I was very disappointed the first and only

time I
> ever tried it.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I've had and like it... it's kind of on the sweet side. You fry it like you
would Canadian bacon. A friend of mine from New Jersey introduced me to it.
OTOH, my husband does't care for it at all.

Chris in Pearland, TX who never been to New Jersey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:24:08 -0400, hermit > wrote:
>
> >Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
> >
> >Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> >intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> >sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

> As Wayne mentioned, it bears some resemblance to Spam. It's not as
> soft or fatty, though. I call it Yuppy Spam. I enjoy it fried. I've
> never made it into sandwiches, as Nancy suggests, though, because I
> gobble it up as soon as it's cool enough to eat.
>
> There is a certain, prescribed way of making TPR sandwiches, which I'm
> sure Nancy will be happy to share with us. )
>
> Carol

Pork roll, fried egg and cheese on an English muffin........ or just pork
roll and cheese for those on a diet (snork).
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> IMHO, it's glorified SPAM. I was very disappointed the first and only time I
> ever tried it.

oh I love the stuff!! Heated up in a frying pan with a small dab of
butter then eaten with toasted white bread and a little bit of apple
butter. As a child we used to eat that on my daddy's boat. I have very
fond memories of it. Nothing like Spam, IMO. More like salty canadian
bacon??
My husband can't stand it..but he eats scrapple so what the hell does he
know!? LOL
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hermit" > wrote in message

> Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?
>
> Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
> intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
> sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

We used to buy it when we lived in Houston, but we soon grew sick of it.

It's usually sold with the Boar's Head products in supermarkets.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll aka Dried Spam

hermit > wrote:

>Is anybody in this newsgroup familiar with Taylor Ham aka Pork Roll?

yes, it's horrid

>Watched a TV program last night and one of the segments was on this
>intriguing New Jersey staple. A web search yielded several sites that
>sell this, but I am interested in the taste.

It's between spam and cheap salami, but more like spam.
It's nasty, salty, and acrid.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> I'll stick with my Lebanon Bologna, thank you. Slightly sour,
> smoked, and very tasty indeed. With real chunks of meat you can
> see, not some hardened mystery puree.
>
> -sw

Ah another Lebanon Balogna fan. I love the stuff but always get
guffawed at the Kroger deli when I ask for a half pound of Boar's Head.
It's a gentle guffaw but it lets me know how much dey likes dere sweet
meats here in the Mid South.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2006 14:16:41 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>>IMHO, it's glorified SPAM. I was very disappointed the first and only time I
>>ever tried it.

> That's an insult to SPAM.
>
> After hearing about it so many times here over the last decade or
> two, I finally found some when I was in South Carolina a couple
> years ago.
>
> I was baffled. It's not unlike cheap, sour bologna. And then I
> fried it like they say. I was still baffled. I don't even think
> it's up to bologna standards, even.

I suspect it suffers from the same variations as other "industrial" meat
products. For example you can buy hillshire "sausage" products which are
total junk and available at everyday low prices at Walmart or get real
sausage from someone who actually makes a quality product and notice a
day and night difference.

My friends live by Philly and they get Taylor ham from a local market
and it is quite good. The last time I was there I remember having the
discussion about how mediocre to bad many meat products have become.

> I'll stick with my Lebanon Bologna, thank you. Slightly sour,
> smoked, and very tasty indeed. With real chunks of meat you can
> see, not some hardened mystery puree.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Ah another Lebanon Balogna fan. I love the stuff but always get
>> guffawed at the Kroger deli when I ask for a half pound of Boar's Head.
>> It's a gentle guffaw but it lets me know how much dey likes dere sweet
>> meats here in the Mid South.

I bet they couldn't give a shit how much you buy, but perhaps are making
some guffaw (or at least something makes you feel they're making fun of
you) because of the way you pronounce bologna? My husband from PA says
"ba-lone-a" which grates on my ears when I grew up calling it "ba-lo-nee"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> IMHO, it's glorified SPAM. I was very disappointed the first and only time I
> ever tried it.

That was exactly my impression, too. Matt's family is NJ/Philly born
and bred (bread?), and they crack out the Taylor ham every so often. I
was excited to try until I found out it was like spam but maybe a
little less salty. Maybe.

-j.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:18:36 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> My husband from PA says "ba-lone-a" which
>> grates on my ears when I grew up calling it "ba-lo-nee"

> Neither of which are the correct pronunciation... :-)
>
> -sw

Ok... what IS the correct way?
Goomba Grasshopper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 25 Aug 2006 08:14:58p, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:18:36 -0400, Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>>> My husband from PA says "ba-lone-a" which grates on my ears when I
>>> grew up calling it "ba-lo-nee"

>> Neither of which are the correct pronunciation... :-)
>>
>> -sw

> Ok... what IS the correct way?
> Goomba Grasshopper

I bet he says "ba-lone-yah", but that don't make it right. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> I usually only get 1/3rd of a pound at a time - Just for munching
> or filling with cream cheese.

Since most people order in 1/4, 1/2 or 1 pound increments, you must drive
some of the deli people nuts trying to figure what a third of a pound is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 25 Aug 2006 08:44:42p, Edwin Pawlowski meant to say...

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> I usually only get 1/3rd of a pound at a time - Just for munching
>> or filling with cream cheese.
>>

> Since most people order in 1/4, 1/2 or 1 pound increments, you must drive
> some of the deli people nuts trying to figure what a third of a pound is.

Sometimes I think Steve drives people nuts over most things. :-) 1/3 pound
is probably minor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

>> I usually only get 1/3rd of a pound at a time - Just for munching
>> or filling with cream cheese.

> Since most people order in 1/4, 1/2 or 1 pound increments, you must
> drive some of the deli people nuts trying to figure what a third
> of a pound is.

Deli counter at the store nearest me rejects most quantities
specified by the customer. "5 ounces" they don't understand.
Their scale reads in decimal. But "point three pounds" they
also don't understand. 1/4 pound they can live with, not sure
about 1/3.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2006 04:46:00 -0700, stark wrote:
>
> > Ah another Lebanon Balogna fan...

> BTW: does your first name begin with a "V"?
>
> -sw

No. Why?