Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ice Cream Freezer Question

The following is my grandmother's ice cream recipe, which I used
to make 2-3 times each summer before she passed in 1989. I always
used her old electric freezer, but we had to pitch it a few years
ago. I bought a new, 5 quart freezer last week -- is that kind of
standard? Should this recipe work? It sounds right to me, but I'm
out of practice on this:

Gramma's Ice Cream

2 C. sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 dash salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 quarts half-and-half
1 pint whipping cream
1 quart whole milk

Mix first 4 ingredients well with hand mixer. Add whipping cream
and half-and-half, mix well. Pour into ice cream freezer, add enough
milk to fill within 1/3 of freezer top.

Thanks in advance... :-)

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kthonian wrote:
> The following is my grandmother's ice cream recipe, which I used
> to make 2-3 times each summer before she passed in 1989. I always
> used her old electric freezer, but we had to pitch it a few years
> ago. I bought a new, 5 quart freezer last week -- is that kind of
> standard? Should this recipe work? It sounds right to me, but I'm
> out of practice on this:
>
> Gramma's Ice Cream
>
> 2 C. sugar
> 4 eggs, beaten
> 1 dash salt
> 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
> 2 quarts half-and-half
> 1 pint whipping cream
> 1 quart whole milk
>
> Mix first 4 ingredients well with hand mixer. Add whipping cream
> and half-and-half, mix well. Pour into ice cream freezer, add enough
> milk to fill within 1/3 of freezer top.
>
> Thanks in advance... :-)

It should work fine- you don't make a custard first? The raw eggs scare
me a little, but if you've had good luck with this recipe, the machine
you use shouldn't make too much difference