Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default recipe: Salmon Dill Mashed-potato Medley

Salmon Dill Mashed-potato Medley

Ingredients:

1 pound salmon filets
1 cup fresh dill (dill is strongly flavored, so adjust quantity
according to taste)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon butter (optional)
1 cup of mashed potatoes
1/2 cup skim or 1% lowfat milk
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the canola oil and butter to homogenate them. Place this mixture
in a pan and use it to cook the salmon. Cook the salmon in the
pan on medium heat. Do not burn or brown the salmon, but leave it
a bright pink color. Chop up the salmon in the pan so that it cooks
more quickly, allowing the insides to cook before the outsides start to
brown. After two minutes of cooking, add the dill and mix the dill
into the salmon and keep cooking until the salmon is fully cooked.
Then add in the milk and mashed potatoes, cook another minute to heat
the mixture evenly, and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the dill
thoroughly and evenly into the medley.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2006 23:30:41 -0700, in rec.food.cooking,
> hit the crackpipe and declared:
>
>>Salmon Dill Mashed-potato Medley
>>
>>Ingredients:
>>
>>1 pound salmon filets
>>1 cup fresh dill (dill is strongly flavored, so adjust quantity
>>according to taste)
>>3 tablespoons canola oil
>>1/2 teaspoon butter (optional)
>>1 cup of mashed potatoes
>>1/2 cup skim or 1% lowfat milk
>>salt and pepper to taste
>>

>>Mix the canola oil and butter to homogenate them. Place this mixture
>>in a pan and use it to cook the salmon. Cook the salmon in the
>>pan on medium heat. Do not burn or brown the salmon, but leave it
>>a bright pink color. Chop up the salmon in the pan so that it cooks
>>more quickly, allowing the insides to cook before the outsides start to
>>brown. After two minutes of cooking, add the dill and mix the dill
>>into the salmon and keep cooking until the salmon is fully cooked.
>>Then add in the milk and mashed potatoes, cook another minute to heat
>>the mixture evenly, and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the dill
>>thoroughly and evenly into the medley.

> You forgot the most important step:
>
> Vomit forcefully into nearest recepticle.

Have you tried salmon and potatoes together, even added to mashed
potatoes they can be quite good.

However, from a person with a nom de net like "projectile vomit chick'
one does not expect a great deal of aesthetic sensitivity.
---
J(obligatory emoticonL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Have you tried salmon and potatoes together, even added to mashed
> potatoes they can be quite good. [snip]

Mashed potatoes are sometimes used as filler for salmon patties. Using
canned salmon with dill and lemon and a little onion, form cakes,
chill, then fry. Or bread the cakes and then fry. The recipe as given
starts with fresh salmon, which usually warrants better treatment, then
ends up making what amounts to the patty mixture by chopping and
stirring it around in the pan till all cooked. Not very attractive to
me, but de gustibus and all that.... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

>Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>> Have you tried salmon and potatoes together, even added to mashed
>> potatoes they can be quite good. [snip]

>Mashed potatoes are sometimes used as filler for salmon patties. Using
>canned salmon with dill and lemon and a little onion, form cakes,
>chill, then fry. Or bread the cakes and then fry. The recipe as given
>starts with fresh salmon, which usually warrants better treatment, then
>ends up making what amounts to the patty mixture by chopping and
>stirring it around in the pan till all cooked. Not very attractive to
>me, but de gustibus and all that.... -aem

A classic recipe along these lines is salmon boxty. It will be
on the menu at Irish pubs. I generally use leftover, previously
cooked salmon for this, which I mix with mashed potatoes and
whatever other ingredients I'm including (green onions, black
pepper, etc.) and then re-fry in olive oil. Unless you screw
it up somehow, it's quite good. Using a good, fresh
piece of salmon in this fashion does seem a bit of a waste.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> A classic recipe along these lines is salmon boxty. It will be
> on the menu at Irish pubs. I generally use leftover, previously
> cooked salmon for this, which I mix with mashed potatoes and
> whatever other ingredients I'm including (green onions, black
> pepper, etc.) and then re-fry in olive oil. Unless you screw
> it up somehow, it's quite good. Using a good, fresh
> piece of salmon in this fashion does seem a bit of a waste.
>
> Steve

Same thoughts here, it would be a good recipe for leftover salmon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Steve Pope wrote:
>

>> A classic recipe along these lines is salmon boxty. It will be
>> on the menu at Irish pubs. I generally use leftover, previously
>> cooked salmon for this, which I mix with mashed potatoes and
>> whatever other ingredients I'm including (green onions, black
>> pepper, etc.) and then re-fry in olive oil. Unless you screw
>> it up somehow, it's quite good. Using a good, fresh
>> piece of salmon in this fashion does seem a bit of a waste.
>>
>> Steve

> Same thoughts here, it would be a good recipe for leftover salmon.

I agree. I'd use leftovers. Mom used to bake a salmon and
mashed potato mixture and serve it topped with hollandaise
sauce--or mock hollandaise sauce, with is not so butter-laden
(for those of you who care about such things).

--
Jean B.

Cream of Potato Soup with Smoked Salmon and Dill (Scandinavian) Mari 84 Recipes (moderated) 0 15-08-2007 12:11 AM
Garlic mashed potato's recipe? Harri85274 Baking 7 28-01-2005 10:53 PM
Salmon in Dill Sauce 7Hawks Recipes 0 24-11-2004 05:45 PM
Planked Salmon with Vegetable Medley Karl E. Moser Recipes (moderated) 0 02-11-2004 02:29 PM
Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe from Cook's Illustrated Nov/Dec 2002 Corey B General Cooking 9 10-10-2003 07:40 PM