FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ovens (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/98832-ovens.html)

Adam 15-08-2006 10:53 AM

Ovens

Hello everyone

I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another built-in
electrical double oven.

Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've noticed
that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?

Many thanks

Adam

jay 15-08-2006 01:29 PM

Ovens

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:53:22 +0100, Adam wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
> avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another built-in
> electrical double oven.
>
> Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven?
> Adam

Make your short list by determining what will fit your cabinet.

In some cases you can add material to the cabinet or trim the cabinet if
space allows/requires in order to get a fit.

Look at a site like..

http://www.us-appliance.com

(..or look for a site with the available brands in your country and see
if the cut out specs are available.)

They have pdf files on line showing the actual cabinet cut out requirement
for many brands. Then look for features you like in the brand/model that
works for your cabinet cut out within your budget. I like the convection
ovens.

LT[_1_] 15-08-2006 02:39 PM

Ovens

> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven.

> > avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another

built-in
> > electrical double oven.
> >
> > Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven?
> > Adam

> Make your short list by determining what will fit your cabinet.
>
> In some cases you can add material to the cabinet or trim the cabinet if
> space allows/requires in order to get a fit.
>
> Look at a site like..
>
> http://www.us-appliance.com
>
> (..or look for a site with the available brands in your country and see
> if the cut out specs are available.)
>
> They have pdf files on line showing the actual cabinet cut out requirement
> for many brands. Then look for features you like in the brand/model that
> works for your cabinet cut out within your budget. I like the convection
> ovens.

Good advice from jay. Unless you want to completely redue your cabinets, you
need to find a unit that will fit. So if you have a 27" unit now, look for
that size. The installers can cut a little away to fit, or add trim kits,
but usually the more thy need to do, the more they charge. When we replaced
ours, the new unit was much longer, and we lost one of the drawers under the
unit.

Depending where you live, look for a appliance outlet. Like the ones
contractors go to. They usually have a big show room, and lots of brands.
Once you decide on a model, you can shop price around, but you might be
surprised as what good deals you can get at these places vs. Sears etc.

If you haven't had or worked with a modern oven in awhile, you will be
pleasantly surprised by all of the neat features they have now.

Larry T

Virginia Tadrzynski 15-08-2006 03:03 PM

Ovens

"LT" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> > > Hello everyone
> > >
> > > I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven.

> > > avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another

> built-in
> > > electrical double oven.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven?
> > > Adam

> > Make your short list by determining what will fit your cabinet.
> >
> > In some cases you can add material to the cabinet or trim the cabinet if
> > space allows/requires in order to get a fit.
> >
> > Look at a site like..
> >
> > http://www.us-appliance.com
> >
> > (..or look for a site with the available brands in your country and see
> > if the cut out specs are available.)
> >
> > They have pdf files on line showing the actual cabinet cut out

requirement
> > for many brands. Then look for features you like in the brand/model

that
> > works for your cabinet cut out within your budget. I like the convection
> > ovens.
> >

> Good advice from jay. Unless you want to completely redue your cabinets,

you
> need to find a unit that will fit. So if you have a 27" unit now, look for
> that size. The installers can cut a little away to fit, or add trim kits,
> but usually the more thy need to do, the more they charge. When we

replaced
> ours, the new unit was much longer, and we lost one of the drawers under

the
> unit.
>
> Depending where you live, look for a appliance outlet. Like the ones
> contractors go to. They usually have a big show room, and lots of brands.
> Once you decide on a model, you can shop price around, but you might be
> surprised as what good deals you can get at these places vs. Sears etc.
>
> If you haven't had or worked with a modern oven in awhile, you will be
> pleasantly surprised by all of the neat features they have now.
>
> Larry T

Check with consumerreports.com on the model you are seriously looking at.
They seem to have no axes to grind and fairly rate items against others in
the same catagory.
-ginny

King's Crown[_1_] 15-08-2006 03:50 PM

Ovens

I have a double oven that I replaced last year. Mine was 16 years old and
both oven wouldn't hold a correct temperature. Anyhow I was amazed at how
much more room my new oven has in it. I had to get rid of a lot of pans due
to them not fitting in the previous oven. I got an oven that is convection
on the top oven and regular on the bottom. I wasn't sure how I'd like the
convection part, but I love it. Hubby hates it. I do all the cooking and
it did take some getting use to. He bakes about 2 twice a month and hasn't
put the time in to learn how to use it.

I'd say look for convection. I can bake 3 racks of cookies at the same time
and they all come out the same doneness. I have a GE Profile. I was middle
of the road in price.

Lynne

Christine Dabney 15-08-2006 04:02 PM

Ovens

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:53:22 +0100, "Adam" > wrote:

>Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've noticed
>that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
>better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
>how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
>kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
>pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
>What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Adam

Try posting this in rec.food.equipment. They might have a lot of good
suggestions for you.

Christine

Nancy Young 15-08-2006 04:36 PM

Ovens

"Adam" > wrote

> how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
> kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
> pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
> What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?

You got a lot of good advice. I hesitate to answer because I'm
not sure what's available in the UK. One thing I will say, if an
oven isn't self cleaning, it's not for me. I'm quite happy with my new
GE, though it's not a wall oven. Does all the things you'd expect an
oven to do, and well. It's not convection, though, I didn't look for
that. Safe to say, though, you probably don't need the most expensive
oven you find, but you probably don't want the cheapest.

nancy

LT[_1_] 15-08-2006 05:00 PM

Ovens

--> I have a double oven that I replaced last year. Mine was 16 years old
and
> both oven wouldn't hold a correct temperature. Anyhow I was amazed at how
> much more room my new oven has in it. I had to get rid of a lot of pans

due
> to them not fitting in the previous oven. I got an oven that is

convection
> on the top oven and regular on the bottom. I wasn't sure how I'd like the
> convection part, but I love it. Hubby hates it. I do all the cooking and
> it did take some getting use to. He bakes about 2 twice a month and

hasn't
> put the time in to learn how to use it.
>
> I'd say look for convection. I can bake 3 racks of cookies at the same

time
> and they all come out the same doneness. I have a GE Profile. I was

middle
> of the road in price.
>
> Lynne

As regard to convection or not, I know a lot has been said on the subject,
and people have their opinions. I was very skeptical about convection... to
the point I just didn't want it. But all of the really "neat" ovens had
convection, so that is the direction we went on both units. I've got to say
I was pig headed, because that is a great feature. And of course you don't
need to turn the convection on if you don't want to, but even if you don't
it comes on during preheat which shortens that time considerably. The one we
got has an automatic convection compensation, which made learning the new
settings a breeze.

Just some extra info for OP

Larry T

Helen Harrand 15-08-2006 07:02 PM

Ovens

"Adam" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone
>
> I need to replace my oven, which is a built-in electrical double oven. To
> avoid rebuilding the kitchen, I intended to replace it with another

built-in
> electrical double oven.
>
> Does anyone have any handy hints and tips on choosing an oven? I've

noticed
> that prices vary enormously: is an oven that costs £1500 really 3 times
> better than one that costs £500, and if so, how? I'm struggling to imagine
> how it could be. I love cooking and don't mind spending money on the right
> kit, but I think I'd need to be convinced that I was getting something
> pretty special if I'm going to spend a thousand quid more than I need to.
> What sort of features should I look for? Any brands to recommend or avoid?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Adam

We did a kitchen remodel 2 years ago and I struggled with this very issue
for a long time. What I wanted was WAAAAAAAY too expensive and the only
reason that I wanted it was a weird reason anyway to most folks. When I was
working we had several Blodgett ovens where the doors opened like a French
door on a house would. They swing to the sides. I'm very short so this was
an ENORMOUS help to someone like me. Instead of having to reach over the
entire door to get whatever was in the oven out, you could step up to the
oven and pull it out. Well, at that time the ONLY household oven to do this
was the Gagganeau (sp?) and it topped $3K USD. I was NOT going to pay that
so what I ended up getting was a double convection Kitchenaid Superba. I
still have problems pulling pans out sometimes and have to step to the side
so that I don't burn the bodacious ta tas on the oven door. Having said
that, I do like this oven but I do wish I could have gotten the side swing
doors. I recently saw a program on TV and there is now one other company
making side swing doors for their ovens and that's Jade. I don't know
anytihng about them except that they were bright enough to make the doors
easier for us short folks.

Just my $.02 worth. The oven we got does work great tho.

helen

Steve Y 15-08-2006 07:03 PM

Ovens

You need two ovens, one that serves as a grill if you don't have an
alternative.

Brand. We bought a Creda basically cos it was a brand we knew we could
get parts for once the guarantee ran out. They share parts with a number
of other known " names".

I wouldn't worry about the height, this can be sorted out by anyone with
any aspirations of being a chippy. Our kitchen was bought in France but
I sourced the oven in the UK for price reasons, they cut the support to
suite it and then cut a blank to hide the vertical gap.. Widths are
standard these days.

Steve

Amarantha 16-08-2006 02:18 AM

Ovens

"Helen Harrand" > wrote in
:

> When I was working we had several Blodgett ovens where the
> doors opened like a French door on a house would. They swing to the
> sides.

> Well, at that time the ONLY household oven to do this was the
> Gagganeau (sp?) and it topped $3K USD. I was NOT going to pay that
> so what I ended up getting was a double convection Kitchenaid Superba.
> I still have problems pulling pans out sometimes and have to step to
> the side so that I don't burn the bodacious ta tas on the oven door.

> there
> is now one other company making side swing doors for their ovens and
> that's Jade. I don't know anytihng about them except that they were
> bright enough to make the doors easier for us short folks.

We've got the Falcon 110, which has two ovens with side-opening doors. I
think most of the Falcon ones do that. I can't comment on quality of use,
however, as it's still sitting in the entrance waiting for the kitchen to
be ready for its installation.

Oh, and "bodacious ta tas" = gold! :)