FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/98797-bourdain-beirut-already-travel.html)

Jed[_1_] 15-08-2006 03:59 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
be minimal.

Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
they never intended to make.

Tim May 15-08-2006 04:27 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

In article >, Jed
> wrote:

> I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
> Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
> weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
> month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
> be minimal.
>
> Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
> they never intended to make.

It's been in my DVR list for recording for several days. Exact title is"

"Bourdain in Beirut"

It follows a regular "No Reservations" episode. On Monday, Aug 21st.

--Tim May

Blair P. Houghton 16-08-2006 02:42 AM

Tim May > wrote:
>It's been in my DVR list for recording for several days. Exact title is"
>
>"Bourdain in Beirut"

Thanks for reminding me.

(...Jeopardy music...)

Done.

--Blair

Karen[_3_] 17-08-2006 04:39 PM

Jed wrote:
> I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
> Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
> weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
> month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
> be minimal.
>
> Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
> they never intended to make.

His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.

Karen

Goomba38 17-08-2006 04:43 PM

Karen wrote:

> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.

No way! She's the good girl next door.. he's the sexy bad boy on the
block you lose your virginity to! LOL

Nancy Young 17-08-2006 04:48 PM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Karen wrote:
>
>> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
>> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
>> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.
>>

> No way! She's the good girl next door.. he's the sexy bad boy on the block
> you lose your virginity to! LOL

Really funny, too, considering all the snarky comments he makes about
her. For instance, on his show in Puerto Rico, he walks by a tourist
trap restaurant and says (close enough), if I was doing a Rachel Ray
show, I'd go in here!

At any rate, he's not my type at all, but there's just something about
him.

nancy

Nancy Young 17-08-2006 04:56 PM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

Oh, and someone made me spell Rachael wrong.

I think it was Burger King.

nancy

-L.[_2_] 17-08-2006 05:40 PM

Karen wrote:
> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.
>
> Karen

He just seems dirty to me. And not dirty in a naughty way...

-L.

Karen[_3_] 17-08-2006 06:01 PM

Nancy Young wrote:
> Really funny, too, considering all the snarky comments he makes about
> her. For instance, on his show in Puerto Rico, he walks by a tourist
> trap restaurant and says (close enough), if I was doing a Rachel Ray
> show, I'd go in here!

Yeah, he's always remarking about RR. I think he likes her.

> At any rate, he's not my type at all, but there's just something about
> him.

Yeah.

Karen

[email protected] 17-08-2006 06:31 PM

Karen wrote:
> Jed wrote:
> > I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
> > Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
> > weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
> > month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
> > be minimal.
> >
> > Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
> > they never intended to make.

> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.

I liked the China episode of "No Reservations" a lot too. Did you
notice that, when he was getting his ear canal "cleaned," by that guy
with the long, sharp metal implement, he said, "Watch - a Rachel Ray
fan is gonna walk by and jab that thing into my head!"

I think Bourdain is the anti-Rachel Ray in that he's genuinely
opinionated; lets the viewer know if he really likes or dislikes
something he eats -- although he seemed to like pretty much everything
he ate in the China episode. His reaction to the Chinese liquor was
pretty funny; "That's pretty much paint thinner," etc.

Karen[_3_] 17-08-2006 06:44 PM

wrote:

> I liked the China episode of "No Reservations" a lot too. Did you
> notice that, when he was getting his ear canal "cleaned," by that guy
> with the long, sharp metal implement, he said, "Watch - a Rachel Ray
> fan is gonna walk by and jab that thing into my head!"
>
> I think Bourdain is the anti-Rachel Ray in that he's genuinely
> opinionated; lets the viewer know if he really likes or dislikes
> something he eats -- although he seemed to like pretty much everything
> he ate in the China episode. His reaction to the Chinese liquor was
> pretty funny; "That's pretty much paint thinner," etc.

Not that he doesn't mind a wee dram of a little paint thinner now and
then, either....

Karen

[email protected] 17-08-2006 07:02 PM

Karen wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I liked the China episode of "No Reservations" a lot too. Did you
> > notice that, when he was getting his ear canal "cleaned," by that guy
> > with the long, sharp metal implement, he said, "Watch - a Rachel Ray
> > fan is gonna walk by and jab that thing into my head!"
> >
> > I think Bourdain is the anti-Rachel Ray in that he's genuinely
> > opinionated; lets the viewer know if he really likes or dislikes
> > something he eats -- although he seemed to like pretty much everything
> > he ate in the China episode. His reaction to the Chinese liquor was
> > pretty funny; "That's pretty much paint thinner," etc.

> Not that he doesn't mind a wee dram of a little paint thinner now and
> then, either....

If Bourdain has trouble putting the stuff away, it's gotta tell you
something...

Gregory Morrow[_4_] 17-08-2006 07:23 PM

-L. wrote:

> Karen wrote:
> > His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
> > as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
> > cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.
> >
> > Karen

> He just seems dirty to me. And not dirty in a naughty way...

At least he's cleaner than that FILTHY ghetto mouth of yours...

--
Best
Greg

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 17-08-2006 07:34 PM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:56:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Oh, and someone made me spell Rachael wrong.
>
>I think it was Burger King.

That *******!

Carol

modom (palindrome guy) 18-08-2006 01:24 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:43:07 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Karen wrote:
>
>> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
>> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
>> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.
>>

>No way! She's the good girl next door.. he's the sexy bad boy on the
>block you lose your virginity to! LOL

I'd be willing to bet that you'd get spanked if you told Bourdain he
was in any way similar to RR.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Goomba38 18-08-2006 01:59 AM

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:

> I'd be willing to bet that you'd get spanked if you told Bourdain he
> was in any way similar to RR.
> --
> modom

Ohmygawd. Don't tease me that way. <heart pounding at the thought>
Goomba

Helen Harrand 18-08-2006 04:52 PM

"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:43:07 -0400, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
> >Karen wrote:
> >
> >> His China show was so interesting. He's about as adventurous food-wise
> >> as one can get. Plus, and I can't put my finger on it why, he's so
> >> cute. He's the Rachel Ray male counterpart celebrity chef.
> >>

> >No way! She's the good girl next door.. he's the sexy bad boy on the
> >block you lose your virginity to! LOL

> I'd be willing to bet that you'd get spanked if you told Bourdain he
> was in any way similar to RR.
> --
> modom
>
> "Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily

traced.
> Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."
>
> --Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

And not spanked in a *good* way!
helen

Karen[_3_] 22-08-2006 05:21 PM

Jed wrote:
> I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
> Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
> weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
> month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
> be minimal.
>
> Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
> they never intended to make.

The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
hope he is recognized with an award for this show.

Karen

David Thuleen 22-08-2006 08:37 PM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

In article .com>,
Karen > wrote:

> Jed wrote:
> > I was watching this evening's Travel Channel repeat of Anthony
> > Bourdain's No Reservations in China when there was an ad for next
> > weeks show: Beirut. Pretty damn fast turn around, just about a
> > month(?). Should be interesting, though I suspect the food content may
> > be minimal.
> >
> > Paraphrased tag line from memory, No Reservations: Beirut -- the show
> > they never intended to make.

> The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
> what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
> talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
> hope he is recognized with an award for this show.
>
> Karen

If you're interested, here's a link to audio of his appearance speaking
at the Commonwealth Club of California in June. To my ears, he comes
across as a bit less relentlessly sarcastic than on his shows. It's an
hour long.

http://www.commonwealthclub.org/arch...ain-audio.html

--
-------------
Dave Thuleen

Click here to listen to this audio link:
http://longnow.chubbo.net/salt-02005...512-harris.mp3

http://www.cfinyc.org/transcripts_html/sam_harris.html

http://www.samharris.org/

"We do not respect people's beliefs; we evaluate their reasons. If my reasons
are good enough, you will helplessly believe what I believe. That is what it
is to be a rational human being. Reasons are contagious."

"Faith is the license that religious people give one another to keep believing
when reasons fail."

-- Sam Harris, author of The End of Faith

Dennis 22-08-2006 10:41 PM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

I expected more from him. Basically he hunkered down at a hotel and
filmed it. Would have been better if he had more film of the native
support crew, their thoughts and worries. It had its moments and
incongruities but an award - no way.

Dennis

David Wright 22-08-2006 11:09 PM

"Dennis" > wrote in message
> I expected more from him. Basically he hunkered down at a hotel and
> filmed it. Would have been better if he had more film of the native
> support crew, their thoughts and worries. It had its moments and
> incongruities but an award - no way.
>
> Dennis

We have it on tape and will be watching it tonight, so I can't speak from
having seen it. From what I've read, though, they had been in Beirut for two
days and were about to go into the countryside when the bombing started.
Again, from what I read, he thought it was more important to get their local
support people home to their families rather than keep the show going. What
would you have done?

BTW, it's Travel Channel that produces the show, not Bourdain.

David

Dennis 23-08-2006 01:49 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

I'd have done the same except why the local people were with him I'd be
talking to them. They might have done this but couldnt get the necessary
waivers to air the footage.

BTW I only contested the "award" nature of the show.

BTW his show is produced by "Pietown" not the Travel Channel.

[email protected] 23-08-2006 02:10 AM

Dennis wrote:
> I expected more from him. Basically he hunkered down at a hotel and
> filmed it. Would have been better if he had more film of the native
> support crew, their thoughts and worries. It had its moments and
> incongruities but an award - no way.
>
> Dennis
>
> Karen wrote:
> >

> > The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
> > what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
> > talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
> > hope he is recognized with an award for this show.
> >
> > Karen

There were only a few moments of good programming. After that it was
Anthony Bourdain's stretched out commentary on what was going on..

No award nomination for this one.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 23-08-2006 03:12 AM

Karen wrote:

> The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
> what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
> talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
> hope he is recognized with an award for this show.

The show matched a lot of the comments he made at the time on e-Gullet.
Personally, I thought it showed a less cynical side of Bourdain, which
under the circumstances was most welcome. Like you, I thought that it
provided an interesting perspective on what was going on there, a
"street-level" perspective if you will. Perhaps if I'd watched CNN or
Al Jazeera instead of PBS, I'd already have had that perspective;
nonetheless, I found it useful. This was also a more political Anthony
Bourdain, which again under the circumstances was both welcome and
totally understandable. I salute both him and the crew for being able
to hold it all together well enough to keep filming while awaiting and
all-too-uncertain evacuation. And I felt that the scene of him
retreating to the kitchen for comfort to be perhaps the most genuine
moment I've seen from him.

Mark Lipton

Dennis 23-08-2006 05:27 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

His show on the Texas/Mexican border (shown the same day) had some
political overtones too.

Tim May 23-08-2006 07:26 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

In article . com>,
> wrote:

> There were only a few moments of good programming. After that it was
> Anthony Bourdain's stretched out commentary on what was going on..
>
> No award nomination for this one.

He was OK before the show when he was quoted as saying the mojitos were
pretty damned good.

Unfortunately, after the Travel Channel neuterized him and got the Jew
angle going, his actual show was a neutered, silly, "when will Uncle
Sam rescue us?" piece of crap.

The Zionists are laughing.

--Tim May

Tim May 23-08-2006 07:34 AM

Bourdain Beirut Already on Travel Channel

In article >, Mark
Lipton > wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>
> > The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
> > what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
> > talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
> > hope he is recognized with an award for this show.

> The show matched a lot of the comments he made at the time on e-Gullet.
> Personally, I thought it showed a less cynical side of Bourdain, which
> under the circumstances was most welcome.

The Travel Channel is not at all resistant to the shysters from
Homeland Security, who demanded a pro-Zionist spin.

I doubt either the Travel Channel or the Food Network will cover the
Great Zioinist Swim, when four million Zionists are given the chance to
swim for their lives.

They invaded another people's land, now four milliion are going to die.

--Tim May

Blair P. Houghton 24-08-2006 02:30 AM

Tim May > wrote:
>In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> There were only a few moments of good programming. After that it was
>> Anthony Bourdain's stretched out commentary on what was going on..
>>
>> No award nomination for this one.
>>

>He was OK before the show when he was quoted as saying the mojitos were
>pretty damned good.
>
>Unfortunately, after the Travel Channel neuterized him and got the Jew
>angle going, his actual show was a neutered, silly, "when will Uncle
>Sam rescue us?" piece of crap.
>
>The Zionists are laughing.
>
>--Tim May

Nice. Nazis in rec.food.cooking. Why don't you go
join your fuhrer in his ditch?

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton 24-08-2006 02:31 AM

Tim May > wrote:
>In article >, Mark
>Lipton > wrote:
>
>> Karen wrote:
>>
>> > The Beirut show was mesmerizing to me. He had an unusual inside look of
>> > what's happening over there, at least, for me. Anthony Bourdain has a
>> > talent for sensitizing, not sensationalizing, the journalism of war. I
>> > hope he is recognized with an award for this show.

>> The show matched a lot of the comments he made at the time on e-Gullet.
>> Personally, I thought it showed a less cynical side of Bourdain, which
>> under the circumstances was most welcome.

>The Travel Channel is not at all resistant to the shysters from
>Homeland Security, who demanded a pro-Zionist spin.
>
>I doubt either the Travel Channel or the Food Network will cover the
>Great Zioinist Swim, when four million Zionists are given the chance to
>swim for their lives.
>
>They invaded another people's land, now four milliion are going to die.
>

>--Tim May

I thought we killed all you hateful brownshirt types in WW2.

--Blair