Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default looking for a Gordon Ramsay recipe

It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
TIA,
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
> TIA,
> -L.

This site may be able to help

http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen

episode 209 recap

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> > night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> > think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> > white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
> > TIA,
> > -L.

> This site may be able to help
>
> http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen

Thanks - they don't have a recipe, but it looks like it was Tuscan
white beans. I was hoping to find a recipe for the sauce...and I
wondered if he seasoned the beans with anything other than panchetta.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> LadyJane wrote:
>> -L. wrote:
>>> It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on
>>> last night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan
>>> roasted (I think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some
>>> sort of pureed white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
>>> TIA,
>>> -L.

>> This site may be able to help
>>
>> http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen

> Thanks - they don't have a recipe, but it looks like it was Tuscan
> white beans. I was hoping to find a recipe for the sauce...and I
> wondered if he seasoned the beans with anything other than panchetta.
>
> -L.

Shoot him an email. Surprisingly, his staff answers.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
> TIA,
> -L.

Don't know if this is the sea bass recipe from the TV show, but it is
from
one of his cookbooks:

>From Gordon Ramsay's "In the Heat of the Kitchen"

Sea Bass Baked on a bed of herbs

1 whole sea bass about 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 lbs - scaled and guted
2 tablespoons olive oil - plus extra fro drizzling
4 bay leaves
handful of rosemary sprigs
handful of thyme sprigs
handful of tarragon sprigs
handful of basil sprigs
handful of sage sprigs
(all herbs need not be used, but use at least four)
4-5 lemon grass stems, slit in half lengthwise
4 star anise
1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
1 large lemon, thickly sliced and carmelized
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Rinse inside of fish well, make sure central blood lines are washed
away. Trim tail and fins. Pat dry, inside and out. Score skin of fish
on both sides with sharp knife.

Set aside two large sheets of aluminum foil 18-inches square.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy frying pan. Lay fish in
pan and fry for about 30-seconds on each side to crisp skin slightly.

Remove from heat.

Pan fry lemon slices with a little olive oil for a few minutes
until they begin to carmelize around the edges. Set aside until needed.

Remove from heat.

Lay a aluminum foil square on counter and scatter herbs, lemon grass
and
spices in center of foil. Lay the whole fish on the herb bed.

Drizzle fish with a little olive oil and tuck the carmelized lemon
slices around the fish.

Cover fish loosely with other aluminum foil sheet and fold the edges
together
to seal. The foil should form a roomy tent around the sea bass that
allows
space for steam to surround and cood the fish.

Place the foil wrapped fish in a roasting pan and set aside in a cool
place
to infuse for 1 or 2 hours until ready to cook.

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Place roasting pan in center of oven and
bake
for 20-minutes until fish is only just cooked.

Remove from oven and let fish rest, still wrapped, for about 5 to 10
minutes
before serving.

Unwrap fish at table and spoon tasty juices over the fish as it is
served.

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> LadyJane wrote:
> > -L. wrote:
> > > It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> > > night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> > > think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> > > white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?
> > > TIA,
> > > -L.

> > This site may be able to help
> >
> > http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen

> Thanks - they don't have a recipe, but it looks like it was Tuscan
> white beans. I was hoping to find a recipe for the sauce...and I
> wondered if he seasoned the beans with anything other than panchetta.
>
> -L.

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but...

>From the TimesOnline, here's Gordon Ramsays .....

Tuscan Bean Soup
Serves 4

"I made this soup in response to a minestrone I was given at an Italian
restaurant in Wiltshire that was like drinking a rugby XV's bath
water. I've always been a fan of the humble bean, and this soup shows
why - it's really simple but fantastically satisfying. When making
soup, always bring the stock to the boil before adding to the other
vegetables: both the flavour and colour will benefit. Substitute canned
beans, if you wish, to save on the time and you have a fast, nutritious
supper dish.

500g cannellini beans, soaked in cold water for 8-12 hours
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 sticks celery, sliced
1 litre chicken stock
Freshly ground salt and pepper
4 slices toasted ciabatta

1 Drain the soaked beans and rinse thoroughly, then place in a large
saucepan, cover in water and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes,
then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for a further 11ž2 hours.

2 Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the garlic. Cook for a
minute, add the parsley and the vegetables, then cook for a further 2-3
minutes.

3 Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. Add to the vegetables. Simmer
for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 10 minutes. Adjust
the seasoning.

4 Place the toasted ciabatta in four warmed serving bowls and ladle
over the soup. Scatter over the extra parsley and drizzle with olive
oil before serving."

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well it seems she didn't know the recipe after all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "-L." > said:

> It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?

Isn't it in his book? At least that's what the other contestants
claimed when Virginia reproduced it. I love that show -- the
yelling gets old, but the restaurant process fascinates me...

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kthonian wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "-L." > said:
>
> > It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on last
> > night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan roasted (I
> > think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some sort of pureed
> > white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?

> Isn't it in his book? At least that's what the other contestants
> claimed when Virginia reproduced it. I love that show -- the
> yelling gets old, but the restaurant process fascinates me...

I don't think it is. I'm not sure which book it was, anyway.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Rusty wrote:
> > Don't know if this is the sea bass recipe from the TV show, but it is
> > from
> > one of his cookbooks:

> Thanks, Rusty for the recipes. I will pop in to Powwel's when I get a
> chance and look to see if I can find it in one of his books. I doubt
> he'd use a recipe that was in the book Virginia purchased, though (on
> the show).
>
> -L.

Amazon.com lets you read parts of Gordon Ramsay's books online. That's
where I obtained the Sea Bass recipe.

The Times Online UK newspaper carries article with recipes from Gordon
Ramsay. The link below has an archive of about 125 Gordon Ramsay
articles. Each article has 3 or 4 recipes.

There are links to about 15 articles on the left side of the webpage.
The pulldown menu at the bottom of the webpage titled, "More Recipes",
has links to about 110 of his past newspaper articles:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,4382,00.html#

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:

> >From the TimesOnline, here's Gordon Ramsays .....

URL please? I'd like to know "which" TimesOnline it comes from.
Sounds like a decent resource.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

StephanieM wrote:

> Well it seems she didn't know the recipe after all.

What? You don't suppose Ramsay might have more than one recipe for sea
bass? That's pretty obviously NOT the recipe from the show.

BTW, it's usenet standard and the polite thing to do to quote enough of
the previous message to provide context for your reply. See, oh, every
other reply in the newsgroup.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kthonian wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "-L." > said:
>
> > It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on
> > last night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan
> > roasted (I think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some
> > sort of pureed white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?

> Isn't it in his book? At least that's what the other contestants
> claimed when Virginia reproduced it. I love that show -- the
> yelling gets old, but the restaurant process fascinates me...

Ramsay has many books.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Default User" > said:
> Kthonian wrote:
>
> > One time on Usenet, "-L." > said:
> >
> > > It's the Striped Chilean Sea Bass signature dish that he used on
> > > last night's episode of Hell's Kitchen. It was the bass pan
> > > roasted (I think) with a grapefruit-basil sauce served on some
> > > sort of pureed white beans. Anyone know where I can find it?

> > Isn't it in his book? At least that's what the other contestants
> > claimed when Virginia reproduced it. I love that show -- the
> > yelling gets old, but the restaurant process fascinates me...

> Ramsay has many books.

True, but Virginia bought a particular book on the show; I
thought Lyn might recall the title, but it appears she didn't.
(Neither did I). I checked FOX's site and it says that "Ramsay's
sixth book, 'Gordon Ramsay Makes it Easy', came out in May 2005",
so maybe that's the one...

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> Amazon.com lets you read parts of Gordon Ramsay's books online. That's
> where I obtained the Sea Bass recipe.
>
> The Times Online UK newspaper carries article with recipes from Gordon
> Ramsay. The link below has an archive of about 125 Gordon Ramsay
> articles. Each article has 3 or 4 recipes.
>
> There are links to about 15 articles on the left side of the webpage.
> The pulldown menu at the bottom of the webpage titled, "More Recipes",
> has links to about 110 of his past newspaper articles:
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,4382,00.html#
>

> Rusty

thanks!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> There are links to about 15 articles on the left side of the webpage.
> The pulldown menu at the bottom of the webpage titled, "More Recipes",
> has links to about 110 of his past newspaper articles:
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,4382,00.html#

It may have been this sauce, but Virginia used basil (From the link,
above):

"Sauce:

2 tbsp white wine vinegar
150g unsalted butter
1 pink grapefruit
2 free-range egg yolks
6 coriander seeds, crushed
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint

1 First, make the sauce. Boil the vinegar down in a small saucepan
until reduced to 1 tablespoon and immediately tip into a cup. Needless
to say, this takes seconds. (We make reduced wine vinegar 500ml at a
time and store it in a small bottle).
2 Then melt the butter over a gentle heat and carefully pour off the
golden oil into a jug and discard the milky solids. Set the oil aside
to cool until tepid.
3 Grate a teaspoon of the grapefruit zest and set aside. Cut off the
thick skin and white pith, then slicing between the membranes cut off
the segments. You only need about four for this sauce. Cut the segments
over the cup with the vinegar so the juices drip into the cup.
4 Place the four large segments on a plate and using the prongs of a
fork break the flesh into tiny segments. Set these aside.
5 Put the yolks, crushed coriander and a tablespoon of cold water into
a heat-proof bowl that will fit snugly over a pan of gently simmering
water.
6 Using a hand-held stick blender or electric whisk, beat the yolks
over the heated water until very light and frothy. This helps the
butter emulsify more easily.
7 Remove the bowl from the heat and continue whisking for a couple more
minutes, then slowly trickle in the tepid runny butter as you continue
to whisk. Don't add the butter too quickly or it
will curdle.
8 When all the butter is incorporated, season and add the reduced
vinegar and any juices and grapefruit zest plus the tiny pieces of
grapefruit flesh. Then fold in the coriander and mint. Set the bowl
back over the pan of hot water but off the heat, and stir it
occasionally to stop a skin forming. This will be enough to keep it
still soft.
9 When ready to serve, brush the salmon with the oil. Heat a large
nonstick frying pan until you can feel a strong heat rising. Lay the
salmon fillets in skin side down and turn the heat to medium. Season
the top flesh. Cook for about 5 minutes on the skin - it should become
quite crisp. Flip over and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes until
slightly springy. Remove and allow to stand for 5 minutes before
serving with the warm sauce."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> It may have been this sauce, but Virginia used basil (From the link,
> above):

Plus, this seems to be part of the recipe for salmon, rather than for the
striped sea bass Hellboy used. I sincerely doubt that Virginia memorized
all the recipes in the book she bought the day or two prior, just in case
Hellboy would hit them with an unannounced "taste-n-create" cook-off.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com