Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stone Crab Claws vs Jonah Crab Claws

Besides the taste, does anyone know of a way to tell the difference? I was
in Costco last week and they were selling what they said were stone crab
claws for (as I recall, 6.99 lb). I asked if they were stone or jonah crab
claws and the kid had no idea. I know that stone crab is usually much more
expensive than 6.99 per (at least at the restaurants that have them)/
thanks
sharkman

..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> Did some digging and found this:
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html
>
> -sw

That site says snow crab=tanner crab. I though "snow crab" was
exclusively the opilio spp. Tanner crabs are a different species and
typically much smaller. Do they both go by the moniker "snow crab"?
Here's a pic of the differences:
http://blueocean.org/seafood/species/36.html
It's not really clear by what's on the above site, either.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sorry.. we were talking about STONE not snow crab claws..

--
Shafer - Professional Web Surfer and President of the PWSAA; Official
BB and anywhere else pointgiver and CEO HRWB.

-L. wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Did some digging and found this:
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html
>>
>> -sw

> That site says snow crab=tanner crab. I though "snow crab" was
> exclusively the opilio spp. Tanner crabs are a different species and
> typically much smaller. Do they both go by the moniker "snow crab"?
> Here's a pic of the differences:
> http://blueocean.org/seafood/species/36.html
> It's not really clear by what's on the above site, either.
>
> -L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> Did some digging and found this:
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Shelfishcrab.html
>>
>> -sw

> That site says snow crab=tanner crab. I though "snow crab" was
> exclusively the opilio spp. Tanner crabs are a different species and
> typically much smaller. Do they both go by the moniker "snow crab"?
> Here's a pic of the differences:
> http://blueocean.org/seafood/species/36.html
> It's not really clear by what's on the above site, either.
>
> -L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

namecalling was unnecessary.. You might have gotten a related answer had you
changed the subject line to snow crabs or something that related to your
question.