Old 30-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Kevin and Katie

Default nutmeg?

Hello all,
The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
Thanx,
Kevin

Old 30-09-2003, 03:19 AM
David Wright

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:05:57 GMT, "Kevin and Katie"
wrote:

Hello all,
The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
Thanx,
Kevin

If it smells good, no problem. Grind a little and answer this for
yourself.

David
Old 30-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:21:58 -0500, Mr. C
wrote:

"Kevin and Katie" wrote:

The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.

Toss it.

Nonsense. If it "smells like nutmeg" whole, and hasn't become moldy or
shrivled, there's no reason it won't be perfectly usable when grated.
As I've mentioned before, I keep trying to toss a quarter-century-old
box of cloves, but since they are still fragrant, I keep them for my
infrequent uses of whole cloves.
Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
A.T. Hagan

wrote:

Hello all,
The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
Thanx,
Kevin

Unless they got wet and rotted I don't believe I've ever heard of
whole nutmegs going bad.

Grate some and see if they still smell potent.

If they do - use them.

......Alan.

Post no bills

Nutmeg Sauce mithunchowdhury Recipes 0 01-01-2012 07:20 PM
Chocolate & nutmeg??? Sky General Cooking 1 25-12-2010 02:41 AM
Nutmeg recall Virginia Tadrzynski[_2_] General Cooking 9 03-12-2010 03:25 AM
Nutmeg vs. Mace Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 58 04-01-2008 09:51 PM
What do you do with nutmeg syrup? Doug Weller General Cooking 13 22-06-2006 09:16 PM