FoodBanter.com

-   -   nutmeg? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/981-nutmeg.html)

Kevin and Katie 30-09-2003 03:05 AM

nutmeg?

Hello all,
The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
Thanx,
Kevin

David Wright 30-09-2003 03:19 AM

nutmeg?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:05:57 GMT, "Kevin and Katie"
> wrote:

>Hello all,
> The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
>rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
>think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
>Thanx,
>Kevin

If it smells good, no problem. Grind a little and answer this for
yourself.

David

Frogleg 30-09-2003 11:22 AM

nutmeg?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:21:58 -0500, Mr. C
> wrote:

>"Kevin and Katie" > wrote:
>
>> The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
>>rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
>>think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.

>Toss it.

Nonsense. If it "smells like nutmeg" whole, and hasn't become moldy or
shrivled, there's no reason it won't be perfectly usable when grated.
As I've mentioned before, I keep trying to toss a quarter-century-old
box of cloves, but since they are still fragrant, I keep them for my
infrequent uses of whole cloves.

A.T. Hagan 30-09-2003 07:22 PM

nutmeg?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:05:57 GMT, "Kevin and Katie"
> wrote:

>Hello all,
> The other day my fiancee and I were going through her grandmother's spice
>rack and we found some whole nutmeg. It is about 30 years old. Do you guys
>think it is still good??? Still smells like nutmeg.
>Thanx,
>Kevin

Unless they got wet and rotted I don't believe I've ever heard of
whole nutmegs going bad.

Grate some and see if they still smell potent.

If they do - use them.

......Alan.

Post no bills