Member

Thumbs up a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich

mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a hang-over

http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/

Who make's the best bacon sarnie around can you do better than this:

Make mine a double wammie
Phillip Skinner
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich

In article >,
phillip.skinner > wrote:

> mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a
> hang-over
>
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/
>
> [image: http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/bacon9.jpg]
>
> Who make's the best bacon sarnie around can you do better than this:
>
> Make mine a double wammie
> Phillip Skinner

<lol> Serious salt overload... ;-)

I'd have to take an extra dose of Torosemide the next day if I did
something like that! I'm very salt sensitive.....
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

phillip.skinner wrote:
> mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a
> hang-over

Needs more bacon! (hehehe)
what? no butter on the bread? sheesh!

and loads of black pepper.....
hmm.. breakfast time .... <bolts for kitchen - frypan, bacon & crusty
high-top>

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
and never eat anything bigger than your head

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane writhes:

> phillip.skinner wrote:
> > mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a
> > hang-over

> Needs more bacon! (hehehe)
> what? no butter on the bread? sheesh!
>
> and loads of black pepper.....
> hmm.. breakfast time .... <bolts for kitchen - frypan, bacon & crusty
> high-top>

Hehe..."SPREAD 'em, Lady Jane...!!!"

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phillip.skinner > wrote:

>mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a
>hang-over
>
>http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/

Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

Or use back-bacon, like they do in England when they
want a bacon buttie...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
> >Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
> >and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
> >plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!
>
> Carol

Avocado........ ;-d

The classic "BAT" burger.

Bacon, avocado and tomato on a medium rare grilled beef burger on a
toasted bun, with real leaf lettuce.

Cheese and/or pickles per your preference but not necessary.....

It's the gods.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!
>
> Carol

I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little late
to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>>>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>>>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>>>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

>> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!

>I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little late
>to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*

They're EASY to find. They're in jars, pickled, all ready to be put
into sandwiches. If you ever go to Subway, they have them there.
They're the neon-yellow rings. Soooo good on sammiches.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> They're EASY to find. They're in jars, pickled, all ready to be put
> into sandwiches. If you ever go to Subway, they have them there.
> They're the neon-yellow rings. Soooo good on sammiches.
>
> Carol

Carol,

Thanks for the info. I wondered about market availability. I see Mt.
Olive Hot Banana Pepper rings at my ACME. I thought they were mild sweet
peppers!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> <lol> Serious salt overload... ;-)
>
> I'd have to take an extra dose of Torosemide the next day if I did
> something like that! I'm very salt sensitive.....

I just got a perscription of Hydroduiril/Esidrix yesterday (25mg, once
a day) for edema but it's not doing anything significant as far as I
can tell. The little swelling that went away would have anyway.
Should I call the Dr. about it or just wait a day or two and see what
happens?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little late
> to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*

I had to look up "sarnie".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:41:31 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Avocado........ ;-d
> >
> >The classic "BAT" burger.
> >
> >Bacon, avocado and tomato on a medium rare grilled beef burger on a
> >toasted bun, with real leaf lettuce.
> >
> >Cheese and/or pickles per your preference but not necessary.....

> You're killing me, you know that, don't you?
>
> Carol, considering a bowl of Rice Krispies

;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> They're EASY to find. They're in jars, pickled, all ready to be put
>> into sandwiches. If you ever go to Subway, they have them there.
>> They're the neon-yellow rings. Soooo good on sammiches.

>Thanks for the info. I wondered about market availability. I see Mt.
>Olive Hot Banana Pepper rings at my ACME. I thought they were mild sweet
>peppers!?

They must come in more than one heat. The ones I buy taste mostly of
vinegar. I don't have a jar on hand right now, or I'd make a
recommendation.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:35:22 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
m:

>>> They're EASY to find. They're in jars, pickled, all ready to be put
>>> into sandwiches. If you ever go to Subway, they have them there.
>>> They're the neon-yellow rings. Soooo good on sammiches.

>>Thanks for the info. I wondered about market availability. I see Mt.
>>Olive Hot Banana Pepper rings at my ACME. I thought they were mild sweet
>>peppers!?

> They must come in more than one heat. The ones I buy taste mostly of
> vinegar. I don't have a jar on hand right now, or I'd make a
> recommendation.
>
> Carol

they ALWAYS give me hiccups. I love them but there's something about the
vinegar and the mild heat combined that always gives me hiccups. I get that
from pepperoncini as well. It's so funny because I eat them, wait a second,
get the familiar quivering in my abdomen, take another bite and I'm off
hiccupping and laughing and hiccupping even harder because I'm laughing which
makes me laugh harder.

Who needs television when I am my own best retarded entertainment

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"sf" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > <lol> Serious salt overload... ;-)
> >
> > I'd have to take an extra dose of Torsemide the next day if I did
> > something like that! I'm very salt sensitive.....

> I just got a perscription of Hydroduiril/Esidrix yesterday (25mg, once
> a day) for edema but it's not doing anything significant as far as I
> can tell. The little swelling that went away would have anyway.
> Should I call the Dr. about it or just wait a day or two and see what
> happens?
>
> TIA

Hm, Torsemide (aka Demadex) is a slightly milder drug than Furosemide
(Lasix). It hits me in about 30 minutes if I take it on an empty stomach
and I pee like a racehorse every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours if I've
got some real fluid retention on board..... ;-)

I've lost 3 to 5 lbs. in one night sometimes if I was really bad off. I
don't take it daily, just as needed. I've been using it for 14 years now
and I love it. The dose is 20 mg. but I often just take 1/2 of one of
the fluid retention is mild. I've been using it so long, I've learned to
judge the dose.

If the drug you are taking is not working for you, do discuss it with
your doctor.

I don't have to use it as often if I behave myself with salt intake but
it's nice to have if I do eat out, or over-indulge in salt. You have to
watch your potassium levels tho' but so far, for me, it's not been a
problem.

My fluid retention problem is a combination of sodium sensitivity and
hypothyroidism that is still only marginally controlled.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:33:42 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote, regarding banana peppers:

>they ALWAYS give me hiccups. I love them but there's something about the
>vinegar and the mild heat combined that always gives me hiccups. I get that
>from pepperoncini as well. It's so funny because I eat them, wait a second,
>get the familiar quivering in my abdomen, take another bite and I'm off
>hiccupping and laughing and hiccupping even harder because I'm laughing which
>makes me laugh harder.
>
>Who needs television when I am my own best retarded entertainment

I love pepperoncini, too. Never had hiccups from it, though. Maybe
I'll make Nancy Young's stuffed pepperoncini for the cook-in (if it
actually happens) and take pictures. No, videos.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 08 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:50:22 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> :

> >> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!

> >I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little

late
> >to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*

> They're EASY to find. They're in jars, pickled, all ready to be put
> into sandwiches. If you ever go to Subway, they have them there.
> They're the neon-yellow rings. Soooo good on sammiches.
>
> Carol

Just a tad hot...They make nice sandwhiches terrific sandwhiches

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phillip.skinner" > wrote in message
news

> mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great for a
> hang-over
>
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/
>
> [image: http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/bacon9.jpg]
>
> Who make's the best bacon sarnie around can you do better than this:
>
> Make mine a double wammie
> Phillip Skinner
>

> --
> phillip.skinner

Funny... I watch the Eastenders and Billy is always asking for a Bacon
Sarnie in the caf. Sounds awfully disgusting...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>
>>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

>Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!

BP's and mayo. Mandatory. It's killer.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>>>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>>>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>>>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

>> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!

>I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little late
>to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*

Get the pickled ones at the supermarket. Wouldn't
be the same otherwise.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>They must come in more than one heat. The ones I buy taste mostly of
>vinegar. I don't have a jar on hand right now, or I'd make a
>recommendation.

Yeah. They're not as hot or bitter as pepperoncinis.

I wonder if some pepper packers don't confuse yellow
bird peppers for banana peppers. That'd be a bad mistake
to make when you pile a whole layer on a BLT...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:37:03 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>>>Put some lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, and mayo on it
>>>and it'll be exactly like the BLTs I got at the Caterpillar
>>>plant cafeteria in Peoria, IL.

>> Banana peppers in a BLT. I've gotta try that. Thank you!
>>
>> Carol

>I had to look up banana peppers and from what I read it's a little late
>to find them, indicating an early harvest?? Never had one. *sigh*
>
>Andy

Banana peppers are very easy to grow, and available quite often in
smaller ethnic markets. Usually Italian and Mexican stores have them.
If you choose to grow your own, they even do quite well in pots. They
can grow to be 9 inches in length. They are occasionally served on
hot dogs in Chicago. They're good sauted and served as the condiment
for an Italian beef sandwich. A "truck-stop" pepper and egg sandwich
is also delicious with banana peppers, as are omelets and pizza.

Andy, I've no clue where you live, but if you ever can get your hands
on fresh ones they're nothing like the bottled ones. Even just
tossing a handful of julienned banana peppers in a pan with a splash
of evo and garlic is a perfect side dish.

My favorite way to use them is to place a 2 pound roll of Italian
sausage in a baking dish. Chop as much garlic as you prefer. (I'd
use a whole head) Julienne 6-8 peppers and slice a red onion. Toss
that on top the sausage and sprinkle with dried (or fresh if you've
got them) Italian spices (not necessary, but adds flavor the juice.)
Pour a cup or two of dry wine over it and add enough water to cover
half the sausage. Bake for 45 minutes at 375, flipping once. Serve
on crusty french bread with a pile of banana peppers piled on top the
sausage. Spoon the juice to your liking or use dipping bowls.

I thought this picture was pretty funny.

http://www.freakingnews.com/view.asp...play=photoshop

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote in
:

> Banana peppers are very easy to grow, and available quite often in
> smaller ethnic markets. Usually Italian and Mexican stores have them.
> If you choose to grow your own, they even do quite well in pots. They
> can grow to be 9 inches in length. They are occasionally served on
> hot dogs in Chicago. They're good sauted and served as the condiment
> for an Italian beef sandwich. A "truck-stop" pepper and egg sandwich
> is also delicious with banana peppers, as are omelets and pizza.
>
> Andy, I've no clue where you live, but if you ever can get your hands
> on fresh ones they're nothing like the bottled ones. Even just
> tossing a handful of julienned banana peppers in a pan with a splash
> of evo and garlic is a perfect side dish.
>
> My favorite way to use them is to place a 2 pound roll of Italian
> sausage in a baking dish. Chop as much garlic as you prefer. (I'd
> use a whole head) Julienne 6-8 peppers and slice a red onion. Toss
> that on top the sausage and sprinkle with dried (or fresh if you've
> got them) Italian spices (not necessary, but adds flavor the juice.)
> Pour a cup or two of dry wine over it and add enough water to cover
> half the sausage. Bake for 45 minutes at 375, flipping once. Serve
> on crusty french bread with a pile of banana peppers piled on top the
> sausage. Spoon the juice to your liking or use dipping bowls.
>
> I thought this picture was pretty funny.
>
> http://www.freakingnews.com/view.asp...play=photoshop
>
> Lou

Lou,

Thanks for all the information and recipe ideas!

I live in Media, PA, just outside of Philadelphia.

I went to three different farmer's markets today and no banana peppers.

I saved your post and filed it under banana peppers, should my luck
change.

Again, thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Lou Decruss > wrote in
> :
>
> > Banana peppers are very easy to grow, and available quite often in
> > smaller ethnic markets. Usually Italian and Mexican stores have them.
> > If you choose to grow your own, they even do quite well in pots. ,snip

<snip>

> Thanks for all the information and recipe ideas!
>
> I live in Media, PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
>
> I went to three different farmer's markets today and no banana peppers.
>
> I saved your post and filed it under banana peppers, should my luck
> change.
>
> Again, thanks,

They aren't easy to find, Andy. I live in a in N. California and you
really do have to hit the right market (we have lots of ethnic hispanic
markets here). I'm not even sure if I've seen one in recent years. My
brother grew them when he lived in San Diego, so maybe that's where I
saw them. Anyway, since it's a mild pepper, Anaheim should be a decent
substitute.

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:09:20 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Lou,
>
>Thanks for all the information and recipe ideas!
>
>I live in Media, PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
>
>I went to three different farmer's markets today and no banana peppers.
>
>I saved your post and filed it under banana peppers, should my luck
>change.
>
>Again, thanks,
>
>Andy

Here's a link to a Philadelphia restaurant that uses them. It's under
"Castata di maiale" Looks like an interesting dish. Also looks like
a cool place to eat. They're getting the peppers from somewhere so
you just gotta find them! LOL. Try The Italian stores. Good Luck!

Le Castagne Ristorante
1920 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-751-9913

http://www.lecastagne.com/menu.html

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>> Lou Decruss > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Banana peppers are very easy to grow, and available quite often in
>> > smaller ethnic markets. Usually Italian and Mexican stores have
>> > them. If you choose to grow your own, they even do quite well in
>> > pots. ,snip

> <snip>
>
>> Thanks for all the information and recipe ideas!
>>
>> I live in Media, PA, just outside of Philadelphia.
>>
>> I went to three different farmer's markets today and no banana
>> peppers.
>>
>> I saved your post and filed it under banana peppers, should my luck
>> change.
>>
>> Again, thanks,
>>

> They aren't easy to find, Andy. I live in a in N. California and you
> really do have to hit the right market (we have lots of ethnic
> hispanic markets here). I'm not even sure if I've seen one in recent
> years. My brother grew them when he lived in San Diego, so maybe
> that's where I saw them. Anyway, since it's a mild pepper, Anaheim
> should be a decent substitute.
>
> sf

sf,

None of the produce markets are big on chili peppers. Maybe 4 or five
kinds, at best.

Maybe next year I'll buy a microfarm plot at the park and plant a variety
of peppers!

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote in
:

> Here's a link to a Philadelphia restaurant that uses them. It's under
> "Castata di maiale" Looks like an interesting dish. Also looks like
> a cool place to eat. They're getting the peppers from somewhere so
> you just gotta find them! LOL. Try The Italian stores. Good Luck!
>

> Le Castagne Ristorante
> 1920 Chestnut Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19103
> 215-751-9913
>
> http://www.lecastagne.com/menu.html
>
> Lou

Lou,

You found a needle in a haystack!!!

I know exactly where it is. Rittenhouse Square. Minutes from work. The
ritziest square block/park in center city Philadelphia. You need
reservations to loiter.

Tomorrow I'll scour the Italian Market in South Philly!

All the best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >They aren't easy to find, Andy. I live in a in N. California and you
> >really do have to hit the right market (we have lots of ethnic hispanic
> >markets here). I'm not even sure if I've seen one in recent years. My
> >brother grew them when he lived in San Diego, so maybe that's where I
> >saw them. Anyway, since it's a mild pepper, Anaheim should be a decent
> >substitute.
> >
> >sf

> Your brother had the right idea. They're actually not too bad sliced
> and frozen if you get a good crop and can't use them all. According
> to some googling, Anaheim's are hotter than Bananas. The hot banana
> is called "hungarian wax" I've grown them and they've got quite a
> kick
>
> Lou

Anaheims are fantastic stuffed and roasted...
Mild enough for most neophytes to enjoy IMHO.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Here's a link to a Philadelphia restaurant that uses them. It's under
>> "Castata di maiale" Looks like an interesting dish. Also looks like
>> a cool place to eat. They're getting the peppers from somewhere so
>> you just gotta find them! LOL. Try The Italian stores. Good Luck!
>>

>> Le Castagne Ristorante
>> 1920 Chestnut Street
>> Philadelphia, PA 19103
>> 215-751-9913
>>
>> http://www.lecastagne.com/menu.html
>>
>> Lou

>Lou,
>
>You found a needle in a haystack!!!

Thought I might have.

>I know exactly where it is. Rittenhouse Square. Minutes from work. The
>ritziest square block/park in center city Philadelphia. You need
>reservations to loiter.

I can't even afford the reservations!!!!!

>Tomorrow I'll scour the Italian Market in South Philly!

Good luck. Whatcha going to try first? You could do a burger topped
with a pile of peppers, onions and mozzarella melted under a broiler.
Onion rolls would be a choice and you could omit the onions from the
burger. Actually a poster here found and posted a King Arthur recipe
for onion rolls that I tried several times with excellent results.
Time consuming but I've never had anything like it from a restaurant
or bakery.

Hummmmmm. I'm getting hungry.

OK. I found the post which follows. (Thanks to the original poster)

Hope you find the banana p's Andy

Lou

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:55:45 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
> wrote:

I copied this recipe off King Arthur Flour's website a while back and
just around to trying it tonight. They were great... I didn't let
them rise for the full three hours, I admit, maybe 2 hours. The rolls
were light and fluffy, and the filling was delicious. I caramelized
the onions until golden brown and seasoned them with some salt and
pepper. I also added some grated charp cheddar to the filling--a
really wonderful combo. A pinch or two of rhyme and some garlic
sauteed with the onion might work well, too. This recipe's a keeper!

Ariane

Onion Rolls

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...08882116744085

2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
4 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
2-2 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp. butter/margarine
2 cups chopped onions
melted butter
poppy seeds (optional)

In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, lukewarm water, sugar and 1
cup flour. Let sit till bubbly, about 1/2 hour.

Add milk, egg, oil, salt and remaining flour. Mix well to form a soft
dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth
and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a well-greased bowl,
turning
to coat all sides, and let rise till very light, up to 3 hours.

While dough is rising, prepare onions. Melt butter in a large frying
pan and add onions. Sauté over low-to-medium heat until onions are
soft
and barely golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured work surface. Divide
into eight pieces. Flatten each piece into a rough rectangle
approximately
4-inch wide by 7-inch long. Spoon 1/8 of the onion mixture in a strip
down the center of each dough rectangle. Fold both sides of dough
over onions and pinch together to seal, making eight rolls which
are each approximately 4-inch high by 2 1/2-inch wide.

Place rolls on lightly greased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet. Set
in a warm place to rise until puffy, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500°F. Gently brush rolls with a little melted butter,
then sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.

Bake rolls for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and
cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a plastic bag. These rolls
are
actually better, in taste and texture, if allowed to "ripen"
overnight.

*Traditional onion rolls have a bit of chopped onion sprinkled on
top. I don't do this as it's hard to prevent the onion from burning,
and
burned onion imparts a very bitter taste to the rolls.

This recipe reprinted from King Arthur Flour's Baking Sheet, Vol. III,
No. 4, March-April 1992.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss > wrote in
:

> Hope you find the banana p's Andy
>
> Lou

Lou,

I've got a coil of hot italian sausage in the fridge, so if I find the
bananas, I'll use your 2nd recipe idea. If I don't, it's jambalaya.

If I don't find them at the Italian Market, I'll hit the Reading Terminal
Market before I admit defeat, maybe.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:26:33 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> >They aren't easy to find, Andy. I live in a in N. California and you
>> >really do have to hit the right market (we have lots of ethnic hispanic
>> >markets here). I'm not even sure if I've seen one in recent years. My
>> >brother grew them when he lived in San Diego, so maybe that's where I
>> >saw them. Anyway, since it's a mild pepper, Anaheim should be a decent
>> >substitute.
>> >
>> >sf

>> Your brother had the right idea. They're actually not too bad sliced
>> and frozen if you get a good crop and can't use them all. According
>> to some googling, Anaheim's are hotter than Bananas. The hot banana
>> is called "hungarian wax" I've grown them and they've got quite a
>> kick
>>
>> Lou

>Anaheims are fantastic stuffed and roasted...
>Mild enough for most neophytes to enjoy IMHO.

Yes. Anaheim's are very good stuffed. But they are hotter than a
banana. A sweet banana has negligible scovile heat units. (0) An
Amaheim has 100-1000 depending on which website you look at. LOL.
I've usually seen and used poblano's for stuffing. They're
2,500-5,000 units which is about the same as the hungarian wax.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:26:33 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:

> >> Your brother had the right idea. They're actually not too bad sliced
> >> and frozen if you get a good crop and can't use them all. According
> >> to some googling, Anaheim's are hotter than Bananas. The hot banana
> >> is called "hungarian wax" I've grown them and they've got quite a
> >> kick
> >>
> >> Lou

> >Anaheims are fantastic stuffed and roasted...
> >Mild enough for most neophytes to enjoy IMHO.

> Yes. Anaheim's are very good stuffed. But they are hotter than a
> banana. A sweet banana has negligible scovile heat units. (0) An
> Amaheim has 100-1000 depending on which website you look at. LOL.
> I've usually seen and used poblano's for stuffing. They're
> 2,500-5,000 units which is about the same as the hungarian wax.
>
> Lou

I generally just go straight for the armadillo eggs....

Jalapenos de-ribbed and seeded, stuffed with a mix of cheddar and cream
cheese. Close back up and wrap with a strip of bacon, secure with a
toothpick.

Grill until the bacon is done.

Wear gloves for preparation or you may regret it if you need to use the
restroom. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
>They aren't easy to find, Andy. I live in a in N. California and you
>really do have to hit the right market (we have lots of ethnic hispanic
>markets here). I'm not even sure if I've seen one in recent years. My
>brother grew them when he lived in San Diego, so maybe that's where I
>saw them. Anyway, since it's a mild pepper, Anaheim should be a decent
>substitute.

Seriously. You kids are over-working this. Get the
kind they have in corporate cafeterias in middle-America.

The ones in jars full of brine with foodservice or
store-brand labels on them.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Maybe
> I'll make Nancy Young's stuffed pepperoncini for the cook-in (if it
> actually happens) and take pictures. No, videos.

I just noticed that "video" just bumped "groups" off the front page of
Google tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"sf" > wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > Maybe
> > I'll make Nancy Young's stuffed pepperoncini for the cook-in (if it
> > actually happens) and take pictures. No, videos.
> >

> I just noticed that "video" just bumped "groups" off the front page of
> Google tonight.

<shrugs> I just go to http://www.googlegroups.com and I don't have to
worry about it.

I sometimes read the groups at work, but rarely, if ever, post from
there.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
"phillip.skinner" > wrote in
message
> news

> mmmmm,,, I betcha that was nice .... True Sole Food ... plus great

for a
> hang-over

> http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/

> [image: http://www.speakeasy.org/~sjmaks/bacon/bacon9.jpg]

> Who make's the best bacon sarnie around can you do better than this:

> Make mine a double wammie
> Phillip Skinner

> phillip.skinner

> [quote]==> Funny... I watch the Eastenders and Billy is always asking for a Bacon
> Sarnie in the caf. Sounds awfully disgusting...

[un-qoute:==> WHAT was East.b.Enders??? .. he hee he ... he hee he

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "sf" > wrote:
>
> > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > > Maybe
> > > I'll make Nancy Young's stuffed pepperoncini for the cook-in (if it
> > > actually happens) and take pictures. No, videos.
> > >

> > I just noticed that "video" just bumped "groups" off the front page of
> > Google tonight.

> <shrugs> I just go to http://www.googlegroups.com and I don't have to
> worry about it.
>
> I sometimes read the groups at work, but rarely, if ever, post from
> there.
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> [[[-"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson-]]]

I Had to look-up Irony
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

"Ironic" redirects here. For the song by Alanis Morissette, see
Ironic (song).

Irony is best known as a figure of speech (more precisely called verbal
irony) in which there is a gap or incongruity between what a speaker or
a writer says, and what is understood. It can also be considered a
twist of fate where an eventual occurrence relates back to a particular
quote. All the different senses of irony, however, revolve around the
notion of incongruity, or a gap between our understanding and what
actually happens. For instance, tragic irony occurs when a character
onstage is ignorant, but the audience watching knows his or her
eventual fate, as in Sophocles' play Oedipus the King. Socratic
irony, the oldest form, takes place when someone pretends to be foolish
or ignorant, but is not. Cosmic irony is a sharp incongruity between
our expectations of things and what actually occurs, as if the universe
were mocking us.

H. W. Fowler, in Modern English Usage, had this to say of irony:

Irony is a form of utterance that postulates a double audience,
consisting of one party that hearing shall hear and shall not
understand, and another party that, when more is meant than meets the
ear, is aware, both of that "more" and of the outsider's
incomprehension.

Irony has some of its foundation in the onlooker's perception of
paradox. In June 2005, the State of Virginia Employment Agency, which
handles unemployment compensation, announced that they would lay off
400 employees for lack of work because unemployment is so low in the
state. The reader's perception of a disconnection between common
expectation, and the application of logic with an unexpected outcome,
both has an element of irony in it and shows the connection between
irony and humor, when the surprise startles us into laughter. Not all
irony is humorous: "grim irony" and "stark irony" are familiar.