Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help, meatball question!

I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
the sauce?

Thanks,
Caesar
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:
> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?
>
> Thanks,
> Caesar

You can make the meatballs ahead of time and even freeze them for later use
if you'd like. I don't know how you made the meatballs but they certainly
won't suffer if you wait to put them in the sauce. In fact, if you simmer
the sauce too long the meatballs may fall apart

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote on 05 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?
>
> Thanks,
> Caesar

I vote wait...meatballs usually have bread crumbs in them of some
sort...The bread will absorb more liquid for a while...melding the flavours
if you wait say a day.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:
> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?

For food safety reasons it's not a good idea to make up any ground meat
mixture in advance of cooking, especially if it contains dairy/eggs,
and raw veggies, especially onions/garlic. It's not wise to freeze raw
meat balls/meat loaf, cook first, then freeze. You can get by with
about 24 hours with fresh sausage as that typically contains a rather
large dose of salt but still it should be cooked or frozen as soon as
possible... do not freeze fresh sausage if it contains raw fresh
herbs/veggies, that type must be cooked before freezing.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:
> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?
>
> Thanks,
> Caesar

Don't try to cook the meatballs in the sauce. You have to cook them
first either by panfrying them or by baking them in the oven. If you
try cooking meatballs in the sauce you won't like it. Believe me it
tastes horrible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Don't try to cook the meatballs in the sauce. You have to cook them
> first either by panfrying them or by baking them in the oven. If you
> try cooking meatballs in the sauce you won't like it. Believe me it
> tastes horrible.

No it doesn't!

Are we talking Italian meatballs, or what? What recipe is the OP using?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> No it doesn't!

Yes, it does. I know from first hand experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Cooking in the sauce will give you softer meatballs which are better

infused
> with the flavor of the sauce.

My mother had a great recipe for Italian meatballs, and it called for
forming the meatballs under running water. Yes, then plunking them
raw in the sauce. The have a little bread, Italian seasoning, and lots
of parmesan cheese in them. What makes them good is how tender
they are. If they were chewy they would not be good.

Regarding cooking ground beef in sauce, how in hell does anyone
who thinks there is gross stuff in ground beef make chili, spagehtti
sauce, taco meat, or other such dishes? And if the gross stuff is not
in the meat, I repeat your question--what exactly *are* they putting
in their meatballs?

> Neither method is "better" than the other one; it's just a matter of
> personal preference.

Yepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Regarding cooking ground beef in sauce, how in hell does anyone
> who thinks there is gross stuff in ground beef make chili, spagehtti
> sauce, taco meat, or other such dishes? And if the gross stuff is not
> in the meat, I repeat your question--what exactly *are* they putting
> in their meatballs?
> Yepper.

artery and DRAIN clogging grease
WHEW HONEY

vet of curse jew kood sit on a bucket withchew peants dahn sue eats dem
cuz yoors halve moore zahn a leetle beet us joos in dem honey

set de bucket outside

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bobmarley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Regarding cooking ground beef in sauce, how in hell does anyone
> > who thinks there is gross stuff in ground beef make chili, spagehtti
> > sauce, taco meat, or other such dishes? And if the gross stuff is not
> > in the meat, I repeat your question--what exactly *are* they putting
> > in their meatballs?
> > Yepper.

> artery and DRAIN clogging grease

You skim it, Barry. Then you remove more after it is refrigerated.

> vet of curse jew kood sit on a bucket withchew peants dahn sue eats dem
> cuz yoors halve moore zahn a leetle beet us joos in dem honey
>
> set de bucket outside

Public abuse now? I am not surprised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> With regard to the fat, all meats are fatty, at least if they are any good.
> I have skimmed as much as 2 cups of grease from chili before. You can
> also absorb the last layer of grease with a pad of paper towels.

You don't brown (and drain) your meat before proceeding with making chili?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, everyone for your help. I will post results this coming week
as I am not sure which day my father and I will be cooking these.

Btw, a local grocery makes delicious dill dip and I like to buy some
and just sort of make an "X" over the top of the patty with the dill
dip. Dill and salmon really go well together, at least to me.

Thanks, again,
Caesar
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Caesar > wrote:

> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?
>
> Thanks,
> Caesar

They can be made the night before and refrigerated...
I've done that.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> Caesar wrote:
> > I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> > week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> > I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> > should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> > the sauce?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caesar

> Don't try to cook the meatballs in the sauce. You have to cook them
> first either by panfrying them or by baking them in the oven. If you
> try cooking meatballs in the sauce you won't like it. Believe me it
> tastes horrible.

I don't find that the flavor suffers, but the texture sure does!
I like to pan-fry meatballs prior to adding them to sauce.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "bobmarley" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >
> > > Regarding cooking ground beef in sauce, how in hell does anyone
> > > who thinks there is gross stuff in ground beef make chili, spagehtti
> > > sauce, taco meat, or other such dishes? And if the gross stuff is not
> > > in the meat, I repeat your question--what exactly *are* they putting
> > > in their meatballs?
> > > Yepper.

> > artery and DRAIN clogging grease

> You skim it, Barry. Then you remove more after it is refrigerated.
>

> > vet of curse jew kood sit on a bucket withchew peants dahn sue eats dem
> > cuz yoors halve moore zahn a leetle beet us joos in dem honey
> >
> > set de bucket outside
> >

> Public abuse now? I am not surprised.

it's not abuse to call your meatballs greeeaaassy

i think they would near fall apart, you damn sho can't stick a
toothpick in them

YOU STILL IN THERE ON THE COMPUTER!

where's my breakfast! I cut grass all day yesterday AND cooked the
lasagna

now you're sittin up on usenet till wee hours in the morning

I can't carry you now more ya slacker! you ain't sleeping till noon!

if you're going to keep shop in my attic, you need to come down and
help out around here!

You're just jealous cause I had company last night; well I was tired
and she offered to cook... she's gone, you can come down now

you left your shitty drawers laying in the bathroom again

the preacher is coming by after church, I want that shit out the floor
or you can find yourself another attic to hole up in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> You don't brown (and drain) your meat before proceeding with making chili?

for the best chili, you don't drain the grease, but you still cook it
down pretty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bobmarley wrote:
for the best chili, you don't drain the grease, but you still cook it
> down pretty

I'm talking about hotdog chili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> With regard to the fat, all meats are fatty, at least if they are any good.
> I have skimmed as much as 2 cups of grease from chili before. You can
> also absorb the last layer of grease with a pad of paper towels.

Since chili is one of those dishes that you can make ahead of time and reheat,
you can let it cool and then refrigerate it for a while. The fat will rise to
the top and harden and can be popped right off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caesar wrote:
> Thanks, everyone for your help. I will post results this coming week
> as I am not sure which day my father and I will be cooking these.
>
> Btw, a local grocery makes delicious dill dip and I like to buy some
> and just sort of make an "X" over the top of the patty with the dill
> dip. Dill and salmon really go well together, at least to me.
>
> Thanks, again,
> Caesar

Dill Dip is easy enough to make yourself. It's pretty much a cup of sour
cream and a cup of mayonnaise with a Tbs. of dried dill weed and some salt
to taste. If you want to get creative grate some carrot and stir that in,
and add some minced garlic and pepper

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Caesar wrote:
> > I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> > week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> > I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> > should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> > the sauce?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caesar

> Don't try to cook the meatballs in the sauce. You have to cook them
> first either by panfrying them or by baking them in the oven. If you
> try cooking meatballs in the sauce you won't like it. Believe me it
> tastes horrible.
> ============================

I have to agree with you. I liked meatballs to be browned before putting
them into the sauce. I bake my meatballs in the oven for 30 minutes at
around 400 degrees. I think when you make them and put them into the sauce
they come out too mushy; not browned on the outside and sometimes not cooked
enough.
===========

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> For food safety reasons it's not a good idea to make up any ground meat
> mixture in advance of cooking, especially if it contains dairy/eggs,
> and raw veggies, especially onions/garlic. It's not wise to freeze raw
> meat balls/meat loaf, cook first, then freeze.

That is UTTER BULLSHIT.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jocelyn De Contents wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>

> > For food safety reasons..

> That is UTTER BULLSHIT.

hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-05, Caesar > wrote:
> I was going to try my hand at making meatballs for the first time last
> week. Well, I finally bought the stuff. Would it add to the flavor if
> I made the meatballs up, tonight, and stored them in the fridge, or
> should I just wait and make them up tomorrow and immediately add to
> the sauce?

I don't see any problem with letting them sit overnight in the fridge.
No doubt would improve the flavor allowing any herbs/spices to marry.
As for the cooking, you should either pan fry or bake the meatballs
before adding to your sauce.

I did my first meatballs yesterday (yeah, I know) and they came out
pretty darn good.

notbob's meatballs

1/2 lb grnd turkey
1/4 lb grnd beef
1/4 lb grnd pork
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
1 t dried basil leaves
1 t dried oregano
1 t dried parsely
1/2 t grnd fennel
1/2 C bread crumbs
1 egg

bake or pan fry

I put them in some Classico Marinara sauce, which is the first bottled
sauce I've found that tastes good without doctoring. I'm going to try
the next batch with no beef.

Meatballs are fun. You can go crazy with 'em.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I don't see any problem with letting them sit overnight in the fridge.
> No doubt would improve the flavor allowing any herbs/spices to marry.
> As for the cooking, you should either pan fry or bake the meatballs
> before adding to your sauce.
>
> I did my first meatballs yesterday (yeah, I know) and they came out
> pretty darn good.

far as safety goes, there are lots of pre-cooked frozen burgers and
meats at the grocery store, so I figure the FDA thinks it's ok.

snake will go raw and need re-cooked once your refrigerate it, but
other than that, I think it's fine.

bacteria is a respector of a host, a host has to be wam
frozen kills everything

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"bobmarley" > wrote:

> snake will go raw and need re-cooked once your refrigerate it, but
> other than that, I think it's fine.

Got more recipes for snake Bob? ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Got more recipes for snake Bob? ;-)

off top my head? what like rattler stew or forked tongue salad?
oh no

you'd have to slit them and gut them I imagine - eeewww snake guts.
i've told it before, but I ate a rattlesnake sausage patty once
it tasted good

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:
>With regard to the fat, all meats are fatty, at least if they are any good.

What a silly correlation.

>I have skimmed as much as 2 cups of grease from chili before.

I make chili with eye round. Nothing to skim, and I
wouldn't if there was because then there'd be too little
fat for decent nutrition.

>You can
>also absorb the last layer of grease with a pad of paper towels.

You think so, but if there's that much on the outside
then there's even more inside the meat, chili, meatball,
burger, etc., and you're going to absorb it with your ass,
hips belly, tits, arms, neck, kidneys, liver, and so on.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> You think so, but if there's that much on the outside
> then there's even more inside the meat, chili, meatball,
> burger, etc., and you're going to absorb it with your ass,
> hips belly, tits, arms, neck, kidneys, liver, and so on.
>
> --Blair

that's not true

you can cook a hamburger till it's nearly dry
same with meatballs, chili meat, etc...

take ground beef for example
say you cook it down, and brown it

dumb the grease, drain the meat (while its hot)

then you add water for say.. chili..
the hot water is going to further remove grease from the meat

According to the latest government data, a 3 oz. serving of beef is a
good source of 9 essential nutrients. What's more, the six leanest
beef cuts have, on average, just one more gram of saturated fat per 3
oz. serving than chicken's leanest cut, the skinless chicken breast.
from
http://tinyurl.com/m2dss

my uncle 62 was a butcher, he ate red meat for breakfast everymorning
his doctor told him he had the skin of 20 yr old

so beef is not bad at all

think about doritos and fritos and cheesy poofs and pop tarts and sugar
cereal and fat ass ice cream as being the culprits I guess

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"bobmarley" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Got more recipes for snake Bob? ;-)

> off top my head? what like rattler stew or forked tongue salad?
> oh no
>
> you'd have to slit them and gut them I imagine - eeewww snake guts.
> i've told it before, but I ate a rattlesnake sausage patty once
> it tasted good

Heh.

I guess I should tell my rattlesnake story...
Back when I was in high school, mom was in to canning meat.

One of my neighbors liked to hunt rattlesnakes during the summer and he
just could not get the technique down for skinning them with the rattles
intact and attached to the skin, so he'd bring them to me to do for him.

So, by the end of that summer, we had around 40 cleaned ones in the
freezer... I'd skin and gut them, then double bag them as my parents
were curious about trying them. <shrugs> I was game to try them too......

So, mom pressured cooked them and canned them in 1/2 pint jars. We used
the meat mostly in salads and it was quite good!

Canned rattlesnake at gourmet stores sells for around $20.00 per 8 oz.

We lived in California at the time in the Mojave desert foothills.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson