Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hamburger, hamburger and more hamburger

Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep freeze.
So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:09:14 GMT, > wrote:

>Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep freeze.
> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

Eeesh that's a lot of ground beef! I thought we had a 'lot' when I
bought a five pound chub...

I like meatloaf and meatballs (baked in the oven so they don't fall
apart) and chilli. If you're really energetic, ground beef also makes
nice samosas - brown it and drain off the fat then cook it up with
potato and onion and curry spices and wrap it in pastry and bake it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 04 Aug 2006 06:09:14p, meant to say...

> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep freeze.
> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

Meatloaf for 46. Invite the neighbors...all of them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> I don't think that I could fit 35lb of anything in my little fridge top
>> freezer. You wonder how the OP got it home! You would need about half a
>> dozen large eskies!

>Car should work fine. I usually buy my Ground Beef from the supermarket
>in 5.5lb packages and I could easilly get 7 of them in the trunk of my
>car..

Do you eat real meat too?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
> freeze.
> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

A 35lb. hickory smoked BBQ grilled hamburger sounds like a great idea.
Spread it out to fit a weber kettle bbq grill rack.

Flip after 20 minutes by putting an extra grill rack over the top and
holding both racks, carefully flip it and reseat.

Cover with cheese, tomato and onion slices, place on a large and double
dough cooked pizza crust, slice and serve.

Andy's Big Fat Evil Twin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote on 05 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Old Mother Ashby > wrote in
> news:44d43088$0$21281 :
>
> > I don't think that I could fit 35lb of anything in my little fridge
> > top freezer. You wonder how the OP got it home! You would need about
> > half a dozen large eskies!

> Car should work fine. I usually buy my Ground Beef from the
> supermarket in 5.5lb packages and I could easilly get 7 of them in the
> trunk of my car..

35 lb of hamburger wouldn't be as large as a pkg as a 20 lb sack of flour
would be.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 05:38:08a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 04 Aug 2006 06:09:14p, meant to say...
>>
>>> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
>>> freeze.
>>> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

>> Meatloaf for 46. Invite the neighbors...all of them.

> I'm assuming the poster means pre formed burger patties?
>
> Michael

Well, they did say "hamburger" not "hamburgers", so I'm assuming it's bulk
hamburger meat in some division of packaging.

Dunno...

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:

> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep freeze.
> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

Best?

Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
Secondary, salsbury steaks
Chicken fried steaks
Broken up into various italian dishes
Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead of
pasta,

Etc.

There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use chicken!

Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
easily.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
>> freeze.
>> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

> Best?
>
> Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
> Secondary, salsbury steaks
> Chicken fried steaks
> Broken up into various italian dishes
> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead of
> pasta,
>
> Etc.
>
> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use chicken!
>
> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
> easily.

You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
> say...
>
>> In article >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
>>> freeze.
>>> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

>> Best?
>>
>> Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
>> Secondary, salsbury steaks
>> Chicken fried steaks
>> Broken up into various italian dishes
>> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead of
>> pasta,
>>
>> Etc.
>>
>> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
>> chicken!
>>
>> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
>> easily.

> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

LOL but a lot of places try... they use cubed steaks which are sort of like
hamburger. Or really, really pressed hamburger. Damn, now you have me
craving chicken fried steak. Thanks a lot!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> LOL but a lot of places try... they use cubed steaks which are sort
> of like hamburger. Or really, really pressed hamburger. Damn, now
> you have me craving chicken fried steak. Thanks a lot!

OK Jill, what *IS* chicken fried steak please???

I bet you never got that here in Scotland)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In 28.19,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> typed:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
> say...
>
>> In article >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the
>>> deep
>>> freeze.
>>> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

>> Best?
>>
>> Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
>> Secondary, salsbury steaks
>> Chicken fried steaks
>> Broken up into various italian dishes
>> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead
>> of
>> pasta,
>>
>> Etc.
>>
>> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
>> chicken!
>>
>> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer
>> burns
>> easily.

> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

And *shouldn't* try to make Salisbury steaks with hamburger/ground
beef. Ewwwww.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:24:50 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>OK Jill, what *IS* chicken fried steak please???

Chicken Fried Steak
http://americastestkitchen.com/

Getting the initial oil temperature to 375 degrees is key to the
success of this recipe. An instant-read thermometer with a high upper
range is perfect for checking the temperature; a clip-on
candy/deep-fry thermometer is also fine. If your Dutch oven measures
11 inches across (as ours does), you will need to fry the steaks in
two batches.

Serves 6

Steak
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Table salt and ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
6 cube steaks , about 5 ounces each, pounded to 1/3 inch
thickness
4 - 5 cups peanut oil

Cream Gravy
1 medium onion , minced
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic
press
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups whole milk
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
cayenne pepper

1. For the steaks: Measure the flour, 5 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon
black pepper, and cayenne into a large shallow dish. In a second large
shallow dish, beat the egg, baking powder, and baking soda; stir in
the buttermilk (the mixture will bubble and foam).

2. Set a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pat the steaks dry with
paper towels and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper to taste.
Drop the steaks into the flour and shake the pan to coat. Shake excess
flour from each steak, then, using tongs, dip the steaks into the egg
mixture, turning to coat well and allowing the excess to drip off.
Coat the steaks with flour again, shake off the excess, and place them
on the wire rack.

3. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position, set a second wire rack
over a second rimmed baking sheet, and place the sheet on the oven
rack; heat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a large plate with a double
layer of paper towels. Meanwhile, heat 1 inch of oil in a large
(11-inch diameter) Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
Place three steaks in the oil and fry, turning once, until deep golden
brown on each side, about 5 minutes (oil temperature will drop to
around 335 degrees). Transfer the steaks to the paper towel-lined
plate to drain, then transfer them to the wire rack in the oven. Bring
the oil back to 375 degrees and repeat the cooking and draining
process (use fresh paper towels) with the three remaining steaks.

4. For the gravy: Carefully pour the hot oil through a fine-mesh
strainer into a clean pot. Return the browned bits from the strainer
along with 2 tablespoons of frying oil back to the Dutch oven. Turn
the heat to medium, add the onion and thyme, and cook until the onion
has softened and is beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic
and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the flour to the pan
and stir until well combined and starting to dissolve, about 1 minute.
Whisk in the broth, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the
pan. Whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne; bring to a simmer
over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened (gravy should have a loose
consistency—it will thicken as it cools), about 5 minutes.

5. Transfer the chicken-fried steaks to individual plates. Spoon a
generous amount of gravy over each steak. Serve immediately, placing
any remaining gravy in a small bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> [...]

> strainer into a clean pot. Return the browned bits from the strainer
> along with 2 tablespoons of frying oil back to the Dutch oven. Turn
> the heat to medium, add the onion and thyme, and cook until the onion
> has softened and is beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic
> and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the flour to the pan
> and stir until well combined and starting to dissolve, about 1 minute.
> Whisk in the broth, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the
> pan. Whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne; bring to a simmer
> over medium-high heat. Cook until thickened (gravy should have a loose
> consistency-it will thicken as it cools), about 5 minutes.
>
> 5. Transfer the chicken-fried steaks to individual plates. Spoon a
> generous amount of gravy over each steak. Serve immediately, placing

Gosh thanks Carol)) I am very surpised to see no chicken is involved)
What kind of steak is used and am I right is thinking it is cubed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > In article >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
> >> freeze.
> >> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

> > Best?
> >
> > Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
> > Secondary, salsbury steaks
> > Chicken fried steaks
> > Broken up into various italian dishes
> > Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead of
> > pasta,
> >
> > Etc.
> >
> > There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use chicken!
> >
> > Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
> > easily.

> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

Yes you can...... ;-)

You just gotta know how!

My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist. <sigh>

I have to cook accordingly.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> >> Chicken fried steaks
> >> Broken up into various italian dishes
> >> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead
> >> of
> >> pasta,
> >>
> >> Etc.
> >>
> >> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
> >> chicken!
> >>
> >> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer
> >> burns
> >> easily.

> > You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)
> >

> And *shouldn't* try to make Salisbury steaks with hamburger/ground
> beef. Ewwwww.
>
> BOB

When you have a house mate with half the normal tooth count,
you learn all kinds of stuff. :-P

Such is life.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:19:54 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Chicken Fried Steak
>> http://americastestkitchen.com/

>Gosh thanks Carol)) I am very surpised to see no chicken is involved)
>What kind of steak is used and am I right is thinking it is cubed?

Yes, it's made with cubed steaks. And just so we're singing from the
same hymnal, In the USA, cubed steaks are lean beef steaks that have
been run through a tenderizer so they resemble thin hamburger patties.
But they're still just one hunk of meat. If they don't do that in
Scotland, you can get a nasty, lean thinnish steak and pound the crap
out of it with a meat mallet to achieve the basic effect.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
>> say...
>>
>>> In article >,

>>> Best?
>>>
>>> Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
>>> Secondary, salsbury steaks
>>> Chicken fried steaks
>>> Broken up into various italian dishes
>>> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead
>>> of pasta,
>>>
>>> Etc.
>>>
>>> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
>>> chicken!
>>>
>>> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
>>> easily.

>> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> Yes you can...... ;-)
>
> You just gotta know how!
>
> My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist.
> <sigh>
>
> I have to cook accordingly.

Careful what you say! You might sound disrepectful! By the way, my father
mostly has all of his original teeth

For others, I'm guessing if you want to make chicken fried steak from
hamburger you have to pack the minced (ground) meat very tightly and use a
binder, like eggs and breadcrumbs? The form into patties but they'd have to
be thin patties to resemble chicken fried steak.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 08:31:56a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>

>> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> I was wondering about that. I've never made "chicken fried steak" out
> of ground beef. Most often I grind my own beef and make thick, juicy
> burgers out of it. However, I have made mock salisbury steaks out of
> ground beef (usually store bought), meat loaf, beef loaf, some soups,
> tacos for kids that are visiting (they don't seem to like the shredded
> beef tacos), noodle casseroles (for work), meat balls and on and on.

Here's my take,l and I think it's fairly common...

Chicken fried steak is usually made with round steak. Before mechanical
tenderizers it was pounded to death with either a meat mallet or the edge
of a sturdy saucer, all the while pounding the seasoned flour into it.
Many people today select their round steak and have the butcher run it
through the tenderizer. Years ago many shops called it the "cubing
machine", hence "cube steak". The so-called cube steak patties that are
prepacked, IMHO, bear no resemblance to the real thing. It may be the cut
of meat they use or the setting on the machine. I dunno.

Salisbury steak is, indeed, made with ground meat that has been seasoned
and often estended with bread crumbs or whatever, then browned and cooked
in gravy or sauce of some type.

Swiss steak is, again, a piece of round steak that has been pounded to
death, usually with weasoned flour, browned, then cooked in sauce (often
tomato based with vegetables).

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 10:43:01a, BOB meant to say...

> In 28.19,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> typed:
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
>> say...
>>
>>> In article >,

>>> Best?
>>>
>>> Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
>>> Secondary, salsbury steaks
>>> Chicken fried steaks
>>> Broken up into various italian dishes
>>> Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead
>>> of pasta,
>>>
>>> Etc.
>>>
>>> There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
>>> chicken!
>>>
>>> Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
>>> easily.

>> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)
>>

> And *shouldn't* try to make Salisbury steaks with hamburger/ground
> beef. Ewwwww.

Whatever...

Food Lover's Companion
Salisbury steak
[SAWLZ-beh-ree] Essentially a ground-beef patty that has been flavored with
minced onion and seasonings before being fried or broiled. It was named
after a 19th-century English physician, Dr. J. H. Salisbury, who
recommended that his patients eat plenty of beef for all manner of
ailments. Salisbury steak is often served with gravy made from pan
drippings.

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 01:13:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
>> say...
>>
>> > In article >,

>> > Best?
>> >
>> > Grilled, 8 oz. at at time over Mesquite.
>> > Secondary, salsbury steaks
>> > Chicken fried steaks
>> > Broken up into various italian dishes
>> > Made into home-made type hamburger helper menus using rice instead of
>> > pasta,
>> >
>> > Etc.
>> >
>> > There are as many ways to use ground beef as there are to use
>> > chicken!
>> >
>> > Hint tho', try to use it up within a year. Ground meat freezer burns
>> > easily.

>> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> Yes you can...... ;-)
>
> You just gotta know how!
>
> My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist. <sigh>
>
> I have to cook accordingly.

NO, YOU CAN'T. You can make whatever formed shape out of ground beef,
season it, coat it with flour and fry it, but it ain't chicken fried
steak.

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:19:54 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>>
>>> Chicken Fried Steak
>>> http://americastestkitchen.com/

>> Gosh thanks Carol)) I am very surpised to see no chicken is
>> involved) What kind of steak is used and am I right is thinking it
>> is cubed?

> Yes, it's made with cubed steaks. And just so we're singing from the
> same hymnal, In the USA, cubed steaks are lean beef steaks that have
> been run through a tenderizer so they resemble thin hamburger patties.
> But they're still just one hunk of meat. If they don't do that in
> Scotland, you can get a nasty, lean thinnish steak and pound the crap
> out of it with a meat mallet to achieve the basic effect.

Understood Carol, thanks <G> Cubed steak here is meat chopped into cubes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:19:54 GMT, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> Chicken Fried Steak

http://americastestkitchen.com/

> snip
>>
>> Gosh thanks Carol)) I am very surpised to see no chicken is
>> involved) What kind of steak is used and am I right is thinking it
>> is cubed?
>>

> Jumping fearlessly in.....
>
> The "chicken-fried" in the name has to do more with the method, as
> you might guess.
>
> I've never made them, but I've had them at various times and places,
> and I never thought they were deep fried -- just breaded and fried in
> a skillet (or on a grill at a restaurant) much the way you would fry
> chicken.

Thanks Alan Now I understand )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> >> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> > Yes you can...... ;-)
> >
> > You just gotta know how!
> >
> > My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist.
> > <sigh>
> >
> > I have to cook accordingly.

> Careful what you say! You might sound disrepectful!

<snork>

> By the way, my father
> mostly has all of his original teeth
>
> For others, I'm guessing if you want to make chicken fried steak from
> hamburger you have to pack the minced (ground) meat very tightly and use a
> binder, like eggs and breadcrumbs? The form into patties but they'd have to
> be thin patties to resemble chicken fried steak.
>
> Jill

Thin, yes.
I bind them using rice flour and egg.

It works a treat!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 01:13:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
> >> say...

> >> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> > Yes you can...... ;-)
> >
> > You just gotta know how!
> >
> > My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist. <sigh>
> >
> > I have to cook accordingly.

> NO, YOU CAN'T. You can make whatever formed shape out of ground beef,
> season it, coat it with flour and fry it, but it ain't chicken fried
> steak.

Ok, to each their own.... ;-)

But it's worked for me.
I use rice flour and egg as a binder, pack it well and dust it in spiced
rice flour and drop it into the deep fryer.

Remove it and drain well, then smother it in gravy......

When rib eye or T-bone is on sale, I'll use that instead but I can't
always afford to do that. Ground beef is not as good but it works.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 06 Aug 2006 06:12:33a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 01:13:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
>> say...

>> > Yes you can...... ;-)
>> >
>> > You just gotta know how!
>> >
>> > My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist.
>> > <sigh>
>> >
>> > I have to cook accordingly.

>> NO, YOU CAN'T. You can make whatever formed shape out of ground beef,
>> season it, coat it with flour and fry it, but it ain't chicken fried
>> steak.

> Ok, to each their own.... ;-)
>
> But it's worked for me.
> I use rice flour and egg as a binder, pack it well and dust it in spiced
> rice flour and drop it into the deep fryer.
>
> Remove it and drain well, then smother it in gravy......
>
> When rib eye or T-bone is on sale, I'll use that instead but I can't
> always afford to do that. Ground beef is not as good but it works.

I understand. All I'm saying is that, by definition, Chicken Fried Steak
is not made with any form of meat that has been ground up. That is
something else entirely, albeit probably very good.

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 07:26:40a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
> >> say...

> >> You cannot make "chicken fried steak" out of hamburger. :-)

> > Yes you can...... ;-)
> >
> > You just gotta know how!
> >
> > My dad has very bad teeth and I can't drag his ass to a dentist.
> > <sigh>
> >
> > I have to cook accordingly.

> Careful what you say! You might sound disrepectful! By the way, my

father
> mostly has all of his original teeth
>
> For others, I'm guessing if you want to make chicken fried steak from
> hamburger you have to pack the minced (ground) meat very tightly and use a
> binder, like eggs and breadcrumbs? The form into patties but they'd have

> be thin patties to resemble chicken fried steak.
>
> Jill

=========================
I like to mix hamburger patties with Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.
Also, I always take a hamburger patty and season it inside and then reshape
it into a thicker rounder patty; instead of a flat patty. They taste better
that way.
=========

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:09:03 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> Gosh thanks Carol)) I am very surpised to see no chicken is
>>> involved) What kind of steak is used and am I right is thinking it
>>> is cubed?

>> Yes, it's made with cubed steaks. And just so we're singing from the
>> same hymnal, In the USA, cubed steaks are lean beef steaks that have
>> been run through a tenderizer so they resemble thin hamburger patties.
>> But they're still just one hunk of meat. If they don't do that in
>> Scotland, you can get a nasty, lean thinnish steak and pound the crap
>> out of it with a meat mallet to achieve the basic effect.

>Understood Carol, thanks <G> Cubed steak here is meat chopped into cubes.

I thought that might be the case. )

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm guessing if you want to make chicken fried steak from
> hamburger you have to pack the minced (ground) meat very tightly
> and use a binder, like eggs and breadcrumbs? The form into
> patties but they'd have to be thin patties to resemble chicken
> fried steak.

I'm not optimistic that would hold together well.

I've felt that a very thinly sliced ribeye steak would make
a good substitute for cube steak in CFS, but I've never
tried that out.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sun 06 Aug 2006 06:12:33a, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...
>
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Oh pshaw, on Sat 05 Aug 2006 01:13:24p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to
> >> say...

> >> NO, YOU CAN'T. You can make whatever formed shape out of ground beef,
> >> season it, coat it with flour and fry it, but it ain't chicken fried
> >> steak.

> > Ok, to each their own.... ;-)
> >
> > But it's worked for me.
> > I use rice flour and egg as a binder, pack it well and dust it in spiced
> > rice flour and drop it into the deep fryer.
> >
> > Remove it and drain well, then smother it in gravy......
> >
> > When rib eye or T-bone is on sale, I'll use that instead but I can't
> > always afford to do that. Ground beef is not as good but it works.

> I understand. All I'm saying is that, by definition, Chicken Fried Steak
> is not made with any form of meat that has been ground up. That is
> something else entirely, albeit probably very good.

So, whatcha want to call it? :-)

Chickenfriedsteakforthetoothless? <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 06 Aug 2006 01:49:35p, OmManiPadmeOmelet meant to say...

ROTFLMAO!

--
Wayne Boatwright

ERROR 103: Dead mouse in hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

> Ok Pig had a big sale and I now have 35lbs of hamburger in the deep
> freeze.
> So lets hear your favorite hamburger recipes.

We had a very similar thread in aus.food recently (except we call it
"mince"). Ideas included:

pasta bolognese
chilli
lasagne
cottage pie (i like to add lentils and finely chopped celery and carrot)
meat pies
pasties
pastitsio
moussaka
chop suey/hungarian goulash/chow mein etc
samosa
cabbage rolls
meatloaf
tacos etc