Old 04-08-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burning around the edges

"laurie" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around the edges
(well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies never did). I've
tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I doing wrong? The oven
seems to be right on temperature with everything else, so I don't think it's a
temperature issue.

laurie

Have you checked the temperature with a thermometer? What type of oven is it?
Conventional or convection? What type of pans are you using? Are they light or
nonstick (the metal ones)? How much room is there around them?

I've never noticed a huge difference when making alot of things, but with brownies,
there is a huge difference between using light pans, and dark or nonstick pans. If
your pans are dark or nonstick, try decreasing the temp and adjusting the cooking
time to accommodate the change. It also can vary according to recipe. I made several
batches of brownies for a bake sale, and there was one recipe, no matter what I did,
it would not cook in the center before the outside was hard as a rock. I changed the
recipe and that solved that.

Also when spreading the batter in the pan, make it so there is a slight indentation
in the center. It will even out for the most part during the baking, but it seems to
help the center get a little bit of a headstart.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temperature on your oven. Even a 10 degree
difference can matter. Make sure it's at the proper temperature before putting the
brownies in. Make sure your ingredients are the same (room) temp. Don't over-mix the
batter. Use light (colored), uncoated, medium to heavy weight pans, and you can line
the edges in foil or use those cake strips around the sides of the pan in the last 15
min or so.

Hope this helps.

kimberly

Old 04-08-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:28:29 GMT, "laurie" wrote:

Nah, it's just a standard electric oven. Yesterday I took the magic bars
out 5 minutes early (fairly significant when they're only supposed to cook
for 25 min.), when the center was still sticky looking, and the edges are
burned. It still seems like the center could have been cooked a bit more
(though they're edible). The brownie recipe I tried last week actually was
a new recipe, one with butter melting with the sugar on the stove first,
maybe that had something to do with it. I've never made brownies that way
before. But even my old standby recipe (aka Betty Crocker) has been
burning around the edges. I'll break out the oven thermometer and check the
temp. Thanks.

laurie

I had a problem like this with my last electric oven.
Each time the oven cycled "ON" the radiant heat
from the elements would singe the baked goods.

Try putting a cookie sheet on the bottom shelf.
It'll temper the heat during the ON cycle.

My permanent cure was to put a perforated aluminum sheet
on the bottom shelf of the oven.
It dispursed the radiant heat during the ON cycle.
Never got edge-burning again.

rj
Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in news:[email protected]:

Nah, it's just a standard electric oven. Yesterday I took the magic
bars out 5 minutes early (fairly significant when they're only
supposed to cook for 25 min.), when the center was still sticky
looking, and the edges are burned. It still seems like the center
could have been cooked a bit more (though they're edible). The
brownie recipe I tried last week actually was a new recipe, one with
butter melting with the sugar on the stove first, maybe that had
something to do with it. I've never made brownies that way before.
But even my old standby recipe (aka Betty Crocker) has been burning
around the edges. I'll break out the oven thermometer and check the
temp. Thanks.

laurie

Sounds like your pan might be too large and the pan's edges are too close
to the electric elements, causing the edges to cook faster.

Try using a smaller pan.

Andy
Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
Nah, it's just a standard electric oven. Yesterday I took the magic bars
out 5 minutes early (fairly significant when they're only supposed to cook
for 25 min.), when the center was still sticky looking, and the edges are
burned. It still seems like the center could have been cooked a bit more
(though they're edible). The brownie recipe I tried last week actually was
a new recipe, one with butter melting with the sugar on the stove first,
maybe that had something to do with it. I've never made brownies that way
before. But even my old standby recipe (aka Betty Crocker) has been
burning around the edges. I'll break out the oven thermometer and check the
temp. Thanks.

laurie

If the temperature of your oven is off by the same amount at any set
temperature then you might be able to remove the temperature control
knob and adjust it so it shows the correct temperature. That way you
won't have to remember to adjust the temperature for a given recipe.
When the oven is set to bake do both heating elements come on? If the
top element is coming on along with the bottom element it may be
toasting your brownies.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
oups.com...

laurie wrote:
[...]

In some ovens, the top element comes on during preheat. But, if it comes on
after that, it's either a badly designed oven, or it's broken.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am I
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

I had all sorts of baking problems when I had a Viking oven. I was advised to
get better baking pans. That helped a bit. We got rid of that unit and got a
Maytag and things turned out beautifully.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message
Also when spreading the batter in the pan, make it so there is a slight
indentation in the center. It will even out for the most part during the
baking, but it seems to help the center get a little bit of a headstart.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temperature on your oven. Even a 10
degree difference can matter. Make sure it's at the proper temperature
before putting the brownies in. Make sure your ingredients are the same
(room) temp. Don't over-mix the batter. Use light (colored), uncoated,
medium to heavy weight pans, and you can line the edges in foil or use
those cake strips around the sides of the pan in the last 15 min or so.

Hope this helps.

kimberly

That helped a lot, thanks!

laurie

Old 05-08-2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
laurie wrote:

Whenever I make brownies or magic bars with my new oven, they burn around
the edges (well, the magic bars did even in my old oven, but the brownies
never did). I've tried both glass and metal pans, to no avail. What am
doing wrong? The oven seems to be right on temperature with everything
else, so I don't think it's a temperature issue.

I had all sorts of baking problems when I had a Viking oven. I was advised
get better baking pans. That helped a bit. We got rid of that unit and
got a
Maytag and things turned out beautifully.

THis is just a standard GE Electric with the flat burners. I like it a lot,
except for this issue.

laurie

Keep the candles burning Debbie[_1_] General Cooking 1 22-12-2008 01:37 AM
burning fat am Preserving 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Marketplace 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Sushi 0 08-09-2008 09:08 AM