Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Battle Fennel?

Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.
>
> --Blair

I loved that the cameras were on the challengers almost exclusively
during the prep, and then Mario won - it showed a lot of hubris for the
challengers to prepare 7 dishes instead of 5. It was pretty boring,
though - except for the service with Siamese Fighting Fish. How in the
heck do the producers manage to provide the exact proper serving
options without knowing what the chefs are going to cook?

I thought the selection of judges was boring, too. I, personally,
don't like fennel at all because of its taste. I hate licorice.

And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
to be? it seems the chefs never talk to the sous chefs about any
preparation beforehand, everyone just grabs food and starts prepping
it. How do the sous chefs know what the boss wants?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.
> >
> > --Blair

> I loved that the cameras were on the challengers almost exclusively
> during the prep, and then Mario won - it showed a lot of hubris for the
> challengers to prepare 7 dishes instead of 5. It was pretty boring,
> though - except for the service with Siamese Fighting Fish. How in the
> heck do the producers manage to provide the exact proper serving
> options without knowing what the chefs are going to cook?
>
> I thought the selection of judges was boring, too. I, personally,
> don't like fennel at all because of its taste. I hate licorice.
>
> And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
> to be? it seems the chefs never talk to the sous chefs about any
> preparation beforehand, everyone just grabs food and starts prepping
> it. How do the sous chefs know what the boss wants?
>
> N.

I read once that the original Iron Chef gave the IC a heads up that they
were to be chosen then gave both IC and challenger a 'possibility' of three
items that would be the challenge item. This allowed them to have
ingredients/equipment on hand.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> > Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.
> >
> > --Blair

> I loved that the cameras were on the challengers almost exclusively
> during the prep, and then Mario won - it showed a lot of hubris for the
> challengers to prepare 7 dishes instead of 5. It was pretty boring,
> though - except for the service with Siamese Fighting Fish. How in the
> heck do the producers manage to provide the exact proper serving
> options without knowing what the chefs are going to cook?
>
> I thought the selection of judges was boring, too. I, personally,
> don't like fennel at all because of its taste. I hate licorice.
>
> And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
> to be? it seems the chefs never talk to the sous chefs about any
> preparation beforehand, everyone just grabs food and starts prepping
> it. How do the sous chefs know what the boss wants?
>
> N.

I've wondered that too. All of the supplies seem to be there no
matter what they are cooking. There must be some lag time between the
reveal of the secret ingredient and when they start cooking...creative
editing???
.......Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
says...
> Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.

And you continue to watch it.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:
>"Nancy2" > wrote:
>> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> > Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.

Turned out kinda exciting after all, but then they gave
the thing to that fat viking again, and the scores were so
lopsided you wondered if the challengers even made food...

>> I loved that the cameras were on the challengers almost exclusively
>> during the prep, and then Mario won - it showed a lot of hubris for the
>> challengers to prepare 7 dishes instead of 5. It was pretty boring,
>> though - except for the service with Siamese Fighting Fish.

You didn't think those spiral sugar spring things were cool?

>> How in the
>> heck do the producers manage to provide the exact proper serving
>> options without knowing what the chefs are going to cook?
>>
>> I thought the selection of judges was boring, too.

Mo Rocca was riffing pretty good. They need more funny on
that show.

>> I, personally,
>> don't like fennel at all because of its taste. I hate licorice.

Mmmm. Fennel sausage.

>> And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
>> to be? it seems the chefs never talk to the sous chefs about any
>> preparation beforehand, everyone just grabs food and starts prepping
>> it. How do the sous chefs know what the boss wants?

>I read once that the original Iron Chef gave the IC a heads up that they
>were to be chosen then gave both IC and challenger a 'possibility' of three
>items that would be the challenge item. This allowed them to have
>ingredients/equipment on hand.

I heard it was one of four secret ingredients, but same
principle. The whole team knows what to do the moment
that cover is removed because they've been discussing it
for a week.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article .com>,
"Nancy2" > wrote:

> I, personally,
> don't like fennel at all because of its taste. I hate licorice.

I dislike licorice and strong anise flavors, as well. But fennel I
like. Go figure....

> And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
> to be?

On IC Japan, the chefs were given a short list of what the theme
ingredient might be so they could think of recipes and bring in the
ingredients they wanted.

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in news:1154703330.758347.270370
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> And, do the chefs know beforehand what the secret ingredient is going
> to be? it seems the chefs never talk to the sous chefs about any
> preparation beforehand, everyone just grabs food and starts prepping
> it. How do the sous chefs know what the boss wants?

In the original Iron Chef, the chefs knew it would be one of five
ingredients, in ICA, I've heard they know it will be one of two. I've seen
Batali & Cora do a quick huddle with their sous chef's before production,
I've seen challengers do so as well, but with only 2 ingredients to prepare
for, odds are they have 2 game plans down in advance, and they just run
with what they've prepared.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.
>
> --Blair

I thought the fennel battle was kind of upscale compared to the frozen green
pea episode.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry > wrote:

>> Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.

>I thought the fennel battle was kind of upscale compared to the frozen green
>pea episode.

Then you know -- KNOW -- they've discussed schedule
optimization for Battle Velveeta...

--Blair
"Hey. I'd watch Cat Cora boil laundry."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Chris Marksberry > wrote:
> >
> >> Iron Chef America is seeking to bore us to death.

> >I thought the fennel battle was kind of upscale compared to the frozen green
> >pea episode.

> Then you know -- KNOW -- they've discussed schedule
> optimization for Battle Velveeta...
>
> --Blair
> "Hey. I'd watch Cat Cora boil laundry."

Hey, I'd watch battle Velveeta. Gooey, melty stuff. LOL.

N.

Cheesesteak Trademark Battle Little Malice General Cooking 5 19-10-2006 04:26 PM
My battle with the bulge... Monsur Fromage du Pollet General Cooking 24 30-07-2005 02:34 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 7 16-01-2005 09:29 PM
Honorable Battle Wounds The Joneses Preserving 4 04-06-2004 06:03 PM
Battle Against Mad Cow Already Lost !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 1 05-02-2004 11:45 AM