Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Default Heading off to Washington State

Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.

I'm looking forward to:
Smoked salmon
Travliogne's salmon ravioli
oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house
blackberries
Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
(except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

SD wrote:
> Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm

Why not Rainier?

> racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
>
> I'm looking forward to:
> Smoked salmon
> Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house
> blackberries
> Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
> (except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)
>
> SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Denise~* wrote:
> SD wrote:
> > Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> > renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens.

> Why not Rainier?

Went to Rainier last time I went back to WA. This year it is Olympic,
St Helens, Hood Canal. I may have some time to go to Ocean Shores or
Longbeach if I can get finished with the mundane things that need to be
done with license renewal and absentee ballot in a timely manner.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "SD" > said:

> Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
>
> I'm looking forward to:
> Smoked salmon
> Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house

Xinh is such a nice lady -- I met her at Oysterfest several
years ago.

> blackberries
> Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
> (except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)

You picked a great time to come back -- the weather has dropped
20 degrees from last week's high 90's. You just missed the county
fair, but The Squaxin's are doing something called "Salmon Days"
at Little Creek next month (August 19th) and Belfair's having their
"Taste of Hood Canal" (August 12th):

http://www.co.mason.wa.us/tourism/indexpbl.html

Hope you enjoy your visit! :-)

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Kthonian wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "SD" > said:
>
> > Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> > renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> > racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to:
> > Smoked salmon
> > Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> > oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house

> Xinh is such a nice lady -- I met her at Oysterfest several
> years ago.

I've met Xinh a few times. I went to the restaurant for Valentine's
Day one year. I lived in Shelton so I would see her all the time in
town. Go over to Travaglione's if you get a chance. Cheryl is really a
nice person too. You'd like her. You can get the restaruant stuff
frozen to cook at home!

I'll be missing all the stuff at Squaxin and Belfair. I'll be in
Cowlitz county the last part of the visit. Doing Mount St Helens
photography for my stock photo pages and visitng family.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

SD wrote:
> Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
>
> I'm looking forward to:
> Smoked salmon
> Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house
> blackberries
> Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
> (except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)

I envy you the chance to get some of those wonderful, smallish clams
whose name I can never remember but they are some of the best, not to
mention the oysters. Last time I went through Olympia I teed off a
couple of friends by insisting we stop for oysters when they wanting to
keep on driving. Sorry, I would have just drooled all the way up the
highway if we hadn't stopped.

Friends from the Seattle area told me last week there had been an
"outbreak" of some 40 people who got (mildly) sick from some shellfish
bacterial thing recently. I'm sure they have it identified and
localized and controlled by now. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

aem wrote:
> SD wrote:
> > Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> > renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> > racking up the frequent flyer miles this year.

> I envy you the chance to get some of those wonderful, smallish clams
> whose name I can never remember but they are some of the best, not to
> mention the oysters. Last time I went through Olympia I teed off a
> couple of friends by insisting we stop for oysters when they wanting to
> keep on driving. Sorry, I would have just drooled all the way up the
> highway if we hadn't stopped.

Olympia oysters and Manila clams. Olympias, when shucked - you can put
half a dozen in a shot glass.

> Friends from the Seattle area told me last week there had been an
> "outbreak" of some 40 people who got (mildly) sick from some shellfish
> bacterial thing recently. I'm sure they have it identified and
> localized and controlled by now. -aem

I've found when there are shellfish poisoning outbreaks, it is private
citizens, not commercial guys, who disregard the multitude of warnings
posted by DNR in at least a dozen different languages. I've watched
people harvest shellfish out of water clearly marked as contaminated
and end up in ICU with things like paralytic shellfish poisoning.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Jul 2006 19:30:54 -0700, "aem" > wrote:

>I envy you the chance to get some of those wonderful, smallish clams
>whose name I can never remember but they are some of the best, not to
>mention the oysters

Razorbacks? We used to visit relatives in Hoquiam when I was growing
up, and sometimes we went clam-digging. Lots of fun. We brought the
victims to a local cannery and came home with many cans of yummy clams
for dip. Strangely, I don't remember Mom ever making clam chowder. I
wonder why that was?

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"SD" > wrote:

> Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
>
> I'm looking forward to:
> Smoked salmon
> Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house
> blackberries
> Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
> (except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)

The warning against eating raw oysters harvested from the Sound and Hood
Canal still stands.
http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com...485599722.html

You can hike up to the rim of Mt. St. Helens and peek in now. It's a 5
mile schlep one way. ABC News had some footage of some folks doing just
that. SO's first words after the piece: "So when are we going?"

We were on the Peninsula last weekend, in an attempt to beat the heat.
It didn't work. The wildflowers on Hurricane Ridge were toast. We did
go to the street fair in Port Angeles and came back via Sequim
(pronounced skwim to you non-Washingtonians) and Hood Canal. Check out
Bella Italia and Olympic Bagels in P.A.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<snip<

> Olympia oysters and Manila clams. Olympias, when shucked - you can put
> half a dozen in a shot glass.
>
> > Friends from the Seattle area told me last week there had been an
> > "outbreak" of some 40 people who got (mildly) sick from some shellfish
> > bacterial thing recently. I'm sure they have it identified and
> > localized and controlled by now. -aem

> I've found when there are shellfish poisoning outbreaks, it is private
> citizens, not commercial guys, who disregard the multitude of warnings
> posted by DNR in at least a dozen different languages. I've watched
> people harvest shellfish out of water clearly marked as contaminated
> and end up in ICU with things like paralytic shellfish poisoning.
>
> SD

For immediate release: July 20, 2006 (06-112)

Contacts:
Donn Moyer, Communications Office 360-236-4076
Jeff Smith, Communications Office 360-236-4072

Bacterial contamination of Washington oysters causes dozens of illnesses
Thorough cooking is best prevention

OLYMPIA ¾ Since July 10 nearly four dozen Washington residents have become
ill after eating raw oysters contaminated with naturally occurring bacteria.
Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a bacteria naturally found in seawater. Two
people were hospitalized as a result of their illness, but there have been
no deaths. As a result of these illnesses, three growing areas in Hood Canal
as well as Totten and Eld inlets in South Puget Sound have been closed to
commercial harvest of oysters for raw consumption.

Almost all of these cases are associated with the consumption of commercial
and recreationally harvested oysters from Washington. The Department of
Health has also received reports from several other states and provinces
regarding infections that appear to be associated with consumption of
shellfish harvested in the Pacific Northwest. Growers have the option of
having product shucked and labeled, "for cooking only."

The agency is investigating the outbreak, along with other local, state and
provincial health agencies where similar illnesses have been reported. High
levels of this kind of bacteria can grow in sal****er areas during the
summer months and infection with the bacteria usually occurs after eating
raw or undercooked shellfish contaminated with the bacteria.

Nancy Napolilli, director of the department's Office of Food Safety and
Shellfish recommends restaurants and consumers thoroughly cook all shellfish
prior to service or consumption. Those with chronic liver disease or immune
dysfunction should avoid consuming raw shellfish. This includes shellfish
purchased in supermarkets and farmers markets as well as any that are
recreationally harvested. Shellfish should be cooked to an internal
temperature of 145° F.

All licensed shellfish growers in the affected areas have been contacted;
the restaurant and grocery associations in the state have also been
notified. Recreational harvesters should be aware of the situation.
Notification of closure for marinas and recreational beaches can be found on
the agency's Biotoxin Web site (http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/sf/biotoxin.htm)
or the biotoxin hotline at 1-800-562-5632. Harvesters should also look for
and obey warning signs that have been posted at marinas and recreational
beaches.

###

----

DOH Home | Access Washington | Privacy Notice | Disclaimer/Copyright
Information

Contact Information for the Department of Health

Last Update : 07/20/2006 11:12 AM
Send inquires about DOH and its programs to the Health Consumer Assistance
Office
Comments or questions regarding this web site? Send mail to the Webmaster .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> We did go to the street fair in Port Angeles and came back via Sequim
> (pronounced skwim to you non-Washingtonians) and Hood Canal.

On the way home, we stopped for dinner at the Hungry Bear Cafe, by the
Hood Canal. At the time, we had not heard about the vibrio outbreak.
SO (that's me) had oysters, but fortunately, ordered them fried.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Helen Harrand wrote:
> <snip<
>

> > Olympia oysters and Manila clams. Olympias, when shucked - you can put
> > half a dozen in a shot glass.
> >
> > > Friends from the Seattle area told me last week there had been an
> > > "outbreak" of some 40 people who got (mildly) sick from some shellfish
> > > bacterial thing recently. I'm sure they have it identified and
> > > localized and controlled by now. -aem

> > I've found when there are shellfish poisoning outbreaks, it is private
> > citizens, not commercial guys, who disregard the multitude of warnings
> > posted by DNR in at least a dozen different languages. I've watched
> > people harvest shellfish out of water clearly marked as contaminated
> > and end up in ICU with things like paralytic shellfish poisoning.
> >
> > SD

> For immediate release: July 20, 2006 (06-112)
>
> Contacts:
> Donn Moyer, Communications Office 360-236-4076
> Jeff Smith, Communications Office 360-236-4072
>
> Bacterial contamination of Washington oysters causes dozens of illnesses
> Thorough cooking is best prevention
>
> OLYMPIA ¾ Since July 10 nearly four dozen Washington residents have become
> ill after eating raw oysters contaminated with naturally occurring bacteria.
> Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a bacteria naturally found in seawater. Two
> people were hospitalized as a result of their illness, but there have been
> no deaths. As a result of these illnesses, three growing areas in Hood Canal
> as well as Totten and Eld inlets in South Puget Sound have been closed to
> commercial harvest of oysters for raw consumption.

That's unusual that the commercial guys got hit. Truly. DNR/WDFW is
usually pretty quick about picking up things like Vibrio. They are
usually pretty quick about posting warnings when something like this
occurs. But as I said, while commercial oysters won't be harvested
from those areas that are closed, way to many recreational harvesters
disregard warnings - even when they are posted in 12 different
languages!

I rarely eat oysters from those areas that were mentioned, unless they
are cooked, which eliminates the problems of Vibrio. They are generally
larger varities that are just too difficult for me to manage on the
half shell. For raw oysters, I prefer the smaller Olympia oyster which
are not grown in those areas. Half a dozen Olympias, when shucked, will
fit in a shot glass.

I'm actually suprised that Oakland Bay, the local clam and oyster
beach, did not make it onto the list. It is still a safe area. that
is an area just down the road from where my old house is that is
usually one of the first to get closed.

The commercial oyster companies tell you where they harvest each
specific oyster from because they actually have different tastes. II
detest Willapa Bay oysters, IMHO, they taste like mud.Given the
problems Hood Canal has had in the past 4 years with lowered dissolved
oxygen levels resulting in fish kills and other assorted problems, I
don't eat anything from that area.

For those of you in WA - http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/beachreg/
will tell you what areas are closed to harvest of oysters, clams, etc.
Since growers like to label their oysters based on the bed location, it
is easy to find out what's available out there and where you can or
can't go recreational oystering/clamming. The clickabale map, for those
of you into harvesting, tells you what's usually available at each
beach.

SD

PS Helen, We never got to leave UAH and Marshall Space Flight Center
when I was in Huntsville. We had classes everyday including the
weekend, usually till about 7 or 8 at night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2006 19:30:54 -0700, "aem" > wrote:
>
> >I envy you the chance to get some of those wonderful, smallish clams
> >whose name I can never remember but they are some of the best, not to
> >mention the oysters

> Razorbacks? We used to visit relatives in Hoquiam when I was growing
> up, and sometimes we went clam-digging. Lots of fun. We brought the
> victims to a local cannery and came home with many cans of yummy clams
> for dip. Strangely, I don't remember Mom ever making clam chowder. I
> wonder why that was?
>
> Carol

Razor clams are long and narrow like and old fashioned straight razor.
aem is talking about Manila clams, smallish, almost sweet.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "SD" > wrote:
>
> > Wednesday I leave for Washington state - miscellaneous license
> > renewals, photography at Olympic National Park and Mount St Helens. I'm
> > racking up the frewuent flyermiles this year.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to:
> > Smoked salmon
> > Travliogne's salmon ravioli
> > oysters from Taylor Shellfish, Xinh's Oyster and Clam house
> > blackberries
> > Fish Tale Ales and other microbrews - we don't get decent beer here
> > (except for the micorbrewery which entails an all day trip)
> >

> The warning against eating raw oysters harvested from the Sound and Hood
> Canal still stands.
> http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com...485599722.html

I don't do raw oysters in the summer, except Olympias. Taylor doesn't
grow them in the areas that are closed to commercial/recreational
harvest.

> You can hike up to the rim of Mt. St. Helens and peek in now. It's a 5
> mile schlep one way. ABC News had some footage of some folks doing just
> that. SO's first words after the piece: "So when are we going?"

I know. That's why St Helens was on the agenda for photography. I
started checking the website in May when I needed to make hotel
reservations and planned out time spent in each area.

> We were on the Peninsula last weekend, in an attempt to beat the heat.
> It didn't work. The wildflowers on Hurricane Ridge were toast. We did
> go to the street fair in Port Angeles and came back via Sequim
> (pronounced skwim to you non-Washingtonians) and Hood Canal. Check out
> Bella Italia and Olympic Bagels in P.A.

I was planning on Staircase/Lake Cushman to visit friends but the Bear
Gulch Fire has changed that (maybe). Depends on what things look like
on Saturday, I may still be able to get a hold of them. They live just
outside ONP Staircase entrance. If not, I'll just go over to the the
beaches to do shoreline photos for some powerpoint presentations for
school. I only have 2 days for sightseeing on the Peninsula...the other
two days are tied up with license renewals, voter registration,
fulfilling the "need to bring back" list, etc. The remaining 3.5 days
will be spent in the Kelso/Longview/Mount St Helens area - more photos
for the volcano unit I'm writing plus visitng family and friends.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SD" > wrote

> I was planning on Staircase/Lake Cushman to visit friends but the Bear
> Gulch Fire has changed that (maybe). Depends on what things look like
> on Saturday, I may still be able to get a hold of them. They live just
> outside ONP Staircase entrance. If not, I'll just go over to the the
> beaches to do shoreline photos for some powerpoint presentations for
> school. I only have 2 days for sightseeing on the Peninsula...the other
> two days are tied up with license renewals, voter registration,
> fulfilling the "need to bring back" list, etc. The remaining 3.5 days
> will be spent in the Kelso/Longview/Mount St Helens area - more photos
> for the volcano unit I'm writing plus visitng family and friends.

Oh, so it's a little vacation, too. Nice. Good luck with all that
paperwork, that's always fun.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Nancy Young wrote:
> "SD" > wrote
>
> > I was planning on Staircase/Lake Cushman to visit friends but the Bear
> > Gulch Fire has changed that (maybe). Depends on what things look like
> > on Saturday, I may still be able to get a hold of them. They live just
> > outside ONP Staircase entrance. If not, I'll just go over to the the
> > beaches to do shoreline photos for some powerpoint presentations for
> > school. I only have 2 days for sightseeing on the Peninsula...the other
> > two days are tied up with license renewals, voter registration,
> > fulfilling the "need to bring back" list, etc. The remaining 3.5 days
> > will be spent in the Kelso/Longview/Mount St Helens area - more photos
> > for the volcano unit I'm writing plus visitng family and friends.

> Oh, so it's a little vacation, too. Nice. Good luck with all that
> paperwork, that's always fun.
>
> nancy

Yeah....my last "vacation" in the US this year was all work and very
little after hours fun time. Space Academy for Educators was fun, but
there was no time for sightseeing, shopping, photography (other than in
the classes), etc. All I saw of Huntsville was the road from the
University of Alabama to Marshall Space Flight Center.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

you a Photog?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Aug 2006 04:51:54 -0700, "SD" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 31 Jul 2006 19:30:54 -0700, "aem" > wrote:
>>
>> >I envy you the chance to get some of those wonderful, smallish clams
>> >whose name I can never remember but they are some of the best, not to
>> >mention the oysters

>> Razorbacks? We used to visit relatives in Hoquiam when I was growing
>> up, and sometimes we went clam-digging. Lots of fun. We brought the
>> victims to a local cannery and came home with many cans of yummy clams
>> for dip. Strangely, I don't remember Mom ever making clam chowder. I
>> wonder why that was?

>Razor clams are long and narrow like and old fashioned straight razor.
>aem is talking about Manila clams, smallish, almost sweet.

Gotcha. Thanks. The only other clams I'm familiar with live in lakes
and the Mississippi.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Helen Harrand wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > > Oh, so it's a little vacation, too. Nice. Good luck with all that
> > > paperwork, that's always fun.
> > >
> > > nancy

> > Yeah....my last "vacation" in the US this year was all work and very
> > little after hours fun time. Space Academy for Educators was fun, but
> > there was no time for sightseeing, shopping, photography (other than in
> > the classes), etc. All I saw of Huntsville was the road from the
> > University of Alabama to Marshall Space Flight Center.
> >
> > SD
> >

> That's too bad. If you get back to Huntsville, I can at least show you some
> tolerable places to eat. They do have good BBQ here.....and bisquits....and
> Vietnamese food, and Korean.......
>
> Suffice it to say that the foodie scene has grown somewhat since I got back
> here 25 (!!!!!) years ago.
>
> helen

I want to try again next summer.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SD SD is offline

Gunner wrote:
> you a Photog?

Semi-professional. I've sold some things. Much of what I've been doing
lately is for some science lesson plans on which I am working.
We're in the process of building some light boxes and aquiring
backgrounds to do more "isolation" shots of tropical fruits and
veggies, ethnic foods.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<snip>

> > Oh, so it's a little vacation, too. Nice. Good luck with all that
> > paperwork, that's always fun.
> >
> > nancy

> Yeah....my last "vacation" in the US this year was all work and very
> little after hours fun time. Space Academy for Educators was fun, but
> there was no time for sightseeing, shopping, photography (other than in
> the classes), etc. All I saw of Huntsville was the road from the
> University of Alabama to Marshall Space Flight Center.
>
> SD

That's too bad. If you get back to Huntsville, I can at least show you some
tolerable places to eat. They do have good BBQ here.....and bisquits....and
Vietnamese food, and Korean.......

Suffice it to say that the foodie scene has grown somewhat since I got back
here 25 (!!!!!) years ago.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Helen Harrand wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > Yeah....my last "vacation" in the US this year was all work and very
> > > little after hours fun time. Space Academy for Educators was fun, but
> > > there was no time for sightseeing, shopping, photography (other than

in
> > > the classes), etc. All I saw of Huntsville was the road from the
> > > University of Alabama to Marshall Space Flight Center.
> > >
> > > SD
> > >

> > That's too bad. If you get back to Huntsville, I can at least show you

some
> > tolerable places to eat. They do have good BBQ here.....and

bisquits....and
> > Vietnamese food, and Korean.......
> >
> > Suffice it to say that the foodie scene has grown somewhat since I got

back
> > here 25 (!!!!!) years ago.
> >
> > helen

> I want to try again next summer.
>
> SD

My email isn't munged or anything so just let me know! The more the
merrier! BTW, I am the QUEEN of the holes in the wall! What types of
things do you like to eat, see, drink, do?

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Damsel in dis Dress
> said:
> On 1 Aug 2006 04:51:54 -0700, "SD" > wrote:
> >Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >> Razorbacks? We used to visit relatives in Hoquiam when I was growing
> >> up, and sometimes we went clam-digging. Lots of fun. We brought the
> >> victims to a local cannery and came home with many cans of yummy clams
> >> for dip. Strangely, I don't remember Mom ever making clam chowder. I
> >> wonder why that was?

> >Razor clams are long and narrow like and old fashioned straight razor.
> >aem is talking about Manila clams, smallish, almost sweet.

> Gotcha. Thanks. The only other clams I'm familiar with live in lakes
> and the Mississippi.

Razors are a hoot to dig for, unless you fall back on a clam gun:

http://www.gamefishin.com/wa/features/clammin.htm

We used to get them down at Ocean Shores, but haven't done so for
many years. It's no fun without Mom to cook them for us... :-(

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~