FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/97421-sugar-free-sweetener-free.html)

[email protected] 29-07-2006 03:34 PM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial sweeteners
(fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to add
concentrated fruit juices as well.

I am sure I have heard of recipes that use just
strawberries/raspberries with no added sweeteners, but I can't find
any. The problem is that when you Google "no sugar" or "sugar free"
recipes, you end up with a million ones usingn Splenda.

I realise that this cheesecake won't be particularly sweet, but that's
fine with me. I would consider a recipe that used a small amount of
honey, though I would prefer nothing but fruit. Fat/cream content is
no issue. If anyone can help out I would hugely appreciate it.

secretdubai 29-07-2006 05:58 PM

Abe wrote:
> The only thing I can think of is to use raisins/cranberries/
> blueberries in the cake. You have to use dry fruit because the cake
> won't come out right if the fruit has much water in it.
>
> You're really asking for the impossible. Without a sweetenener of some
> sort, the cake is going to taste pretty much like plain cream cheese.
> I don't think there's any way around that.

Thanks. There is a restaurant nearby that does this summer fruits
cheesecake with a mousse-like constistency. The fruits are swirled
round into the cheese, and I think it is gelatin-set, because it
wobbles a bit. It uses sugar, so I figured it must be possible to
swirl the fruit through and find a recipe without sugar.

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 29-07-2006 08:53 PM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

On 29 Jul 2006 09:58:45 -0700, "secretdubai" >
wrote:

> There is a restaurant nearby that does this summer fruits
>cheesecake with a mousse-like constistency. The fruits are swirled
>round into the cheese, and I think it is gelatin-set, because it
>wobbles a bit. It uses sugar, so I figured it must be possible to
>swirl the fruit through and find a recipe without sugar.

Pandora posted a recipe for "pesto cheesecake" a few days ago. It
used gelatin. You could use that as a jumping-off point.

Carol

Jke 29-07-2006 09:27 PM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
>I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
> used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial sweeteners
> (fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to add
> concentrated fruit juices as well.
>
> I am sure I have heard of recipes that use just
> strawberries/raspberries with no added sweeteners, but I can't find
> any. The problem is that when you Google "no sugar" or "sugar free"
> recipes, you end up with a million ones usingn Splenda.
>
> I realise that this cheesecake won't be particularly sweet, but that's
> fine with me. I would consider a recipe that used a small amount of
> honey, though I would prefer nothing but fruit. Fat/cream content is
> no issue. If anyone can help out I would hugely appreciate it.

If I were you, I'd get some thick syrup made from fruit from a health food
store. They syrups tends to be a dark yellow or light brown, so your
cheesecake wouldn't stay white. Win some, lose some, I guess.

secretdubai 29-07-2006 09:38 PM

Jke wrote:
> If I were you, I'd get some thick syrup made from fruit from a health food
> store. They syrups tends to be a dark yellow or light brown, so your
> cheesecake wouldn't stay white. Win some, lose some, I guess.

The colour isn't at all important - I was imagining it would end up
berry-coloured anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jo Anne Slaven 29-07-2006 11:23 PM

On 29 Jul 2006 07:34:39 -0700, wrote:

>I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
>used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial sweeteners
>(fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to add
>concentrated fruit juices as well.

>I realise that this cheesecake won't be particularly sweet, but that's
>fine with me. I would consider a recipe that used a small amount of
>honey, though I would prefer nothing but fruit. Fat/cream content is
>no issue. If anyone can help out I would hugely appreciate it.

Why don't you experiment a bit.

Mix up a cheesecake recipe with no sugar. Use maybe 2 packages of
cream cheese, 3 eggs, and some vanilla. Perhaps a bit of sour cream.

Split the mixture into 4 batches, and add different fruits to each.
I'm thinking pureed strawberries, raspberries, peaches, and mangos. (I
always have frozen chopped up fruit on hand because I put it in
smoothies.) You can mix the fruit in thoroughly or just swirl it
through the cream cheese.

Line muffin tins with paper liners, then pour your cheesecake mixes
into the cups.

I'm thinking that the mango would be *really* good.

Jo Anne

Roger Zoul 30-07-2006 12:26 AM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

Make your own recipe and tweak it. Get some fruit, puree it. Mix in with
other cheesecake ingredients. Ought to at least give good color. Play it
by ear. I'd try some blueberries that taste sweet. Or, use some sugar free
jam or something like that.

wrote:
:: I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
:: used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial
:: sweeteners (fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to
:: add concentrated fruit juices as well.
::

Jke 30-07-2006 07:33 AM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

"Jo Anne Slaven" > schreef in bericht
> On 29 Jul 2006 07:34:39 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
>>used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial sweeteners
>>(fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to add
>>concentrated fruit juices as well.

>>I realise that this cheesecake won't be particularly sweet, but that's
>>fine with me. I would consider a recipe that used a small amount of
>>honey, though I would prefer nothing but fruit. Fat/cream content is
>>no issue. If anyone can help out I would hugely appreciate it.

> Why don't you experiment a bit.
>
> Mix up a cheesecake recipe with no sugar. Use maybe 2 packages of
> cream cheese, 3 eggs, and some vanilla. Perhaps a bit of sour cream.

Now that you mention vanilla: I find that vanilla enahnces sweetness, so
less sweetening agent might be required when using vanilla.

Doug Freyburger 30-07-2006 08:33 AM

Abe wrote:

> >I am looking for a cheesecake recipe that relies on the natural fruit
> >used for its sweetness. I don't want to add any artificial sweeteners
> >(fructose etc included) and I would prefer not to have to add
> >concentrated fruit juices as well.

> >I realise that this cheesecake won't be particularly sweet, but that's
> >fine with me ...

> You're really asking for the impossible. Without a sweetenener of some
> sort, the cake is going to taste pretty much like plain cream cheese.
> I don't think there's any way around that.

If your target is rich rather than sweet, cheese cake without sweetener
will hit that target. If your target is the least sweetener to match
your
tastes, go for the rich not for the sweet.

Baked cheesecake recipes won't taste like cream cheese because of
the baking. Vanilla, nutmeg, egg will help. Either crustless baked in
a ceramic bowl or with a nut crust. A bit of cimmamon goes well in
a nut crust.

secretdubai 30-07-2006 03:48 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> If your target is rich rather than sweet, cheese cake without sweetener
> will hit that target. If your target is the least sweetener to match
> your
> tastes, go for the rich not for the sweet.
>
> Baked cheesecake recipes won't taste like cream cheese because of
> the baking. Vanilla, nutmeg, egg will help. Either crustless baked in
> a ceramic bowl or with a nut crust. A bit of cimmamon goes well in
> a nut crust.

Nut crust - superb idea! And yes, rich is the target. I find that I
can almost taste sweetness in milk after several weeks of low-carbing,
and the few times I have "lapsed" sweet things have been almost
unbearably sickly.

[email protected] 04-08-2006 07:54 PM

Sugar-free, sweetener-free cheesecake recipe wanted

If I were going to try this, I'd skip the whole notion of baking it.
I'd go more for a cheesecake-y mousse type thang.

I'd probably start with some plain gelatin dissolved in a few TB of
boiling water, whip some cream cheese (maybe with a bit of heavy cream)
until light and fluffy, stir that into the gelatin, then fold in some
pureed strawberries or blackberries and refrigerate until it firmed up.