Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pastry cream (crème patissière)

As soon as the hot spell breaks, I'm going to celebrate by making
something evil and fattening w/ pastry cream. My question is, what
percent milk should I use? I have some 1%. Is that
enough butter fat for pastry cream and/or pudding?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> As soon as the hot spell breaks, I'm going to celebrate by making
> something evil and fattening w/ pastry cream. My question is, what
> percent milk should I use? I have some 1%. Is that
> enough butter fat for pastry cream and/or pudding?

The 1% will work. Even with lower fat milk it will set up
fine because of the flour. I like to use whole milk though.
I can definitely taste the difference.

Add a nip of cognac if you have it.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> As soon as the hot spell breaks, I'm going to celebrate by making
> something evil and fattening w/ pastry cream. My question is, what
> percent milk should I use? I have some 1%. Is that
> enough butter fat for pastry cream and/or pudding?
>
> nb

In my experience, 2% works, but it will taste be better if you use whole milk. Are
you using a recipe with flour? If not, half and half is even better. Of course, it's
not healthier, but you said evil and fattening didn't you?
;-)
kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-26, Nexis > wrote:

> In my experience, 2% works, but it will taste be better if you use whole milk. Are
> you using a recipe with flour? If not, half and half is even better. Of course, it's
> not healthier, but you said evil and fattening didn't you?

I'll pick up some whipping cream and add a dash. I don't use milk
much for anything, so am not savvy to all the variations.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Nexis > wrote:
>
> > In my experience, 2% works, but it will taste be better if you use whole milk. Are
> > you using a recipe with flour? If not, half and half is even better. Of course, it's
> > not healthier, but you said evil and fattening didn't you?

> I'll pick up some whipping cream and add a dash. I don't use milk
> much for anything, so am not savvy to all the variations.

40% cream, the staff of life.

> nb

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> As soon as the hot spell breaks, I'm going to celebrate by making
> something evil and fattening w/ pastry cream. My question is, what
> percent milk should I use? I have some 1%. Is that
> enough butter fat for pastry cream and/or pudding?
>
> nb

One-percent milk is neither evil nor fattening. Go for whole. (And there are
some who will advise you to use cream!)

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> As soon as the hot spell breaks, I'm going to celebrate by making
> something evil and fattening w/ pastry cream. My question is, what
> percent milk should I use? I have some 1%. Is that
> enough butter fat for pastry cream and/or pudding?
>
> nb

Where's the recipe you are going to use? ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-26, Nancy2 > wrote:

> Where's the recipe you are going to use? ;-)

Crème Patissière
California Culinary Academy

2 C milk
6 eggs
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C flour, sifted
2 T corn starch, sifted
1-1/2 t vanilla extract (I'll be using whole bean)

boil milk, beat remaining ingredients till thickened and pale, and
temper together. Boil till thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk
out lumps. Strain through fine strainer if necessary. Pat of butter
on surface to prevent skin from forming. Add other flavorings
(liquers, coffee, chocolate, etc), now. Will keep for two days in
fridge.

I've also seen gelatin sheets added to keep pastry cream stable when
used in something like a puff pastry fruit tart. I don't have the
measurement, off hand, but I'll look for it if anyone is interested.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > Where's the recipe you are going to use? ;-)

> Crème Patissière
> California Culinary Academy
>
> 2 C milk
> 6 eggs
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1/4 C flour, sifted
> 2 T corn starch, sifted
> 1-1/2 t vanilla extract (I'll be using whole bean)
>
> boil milk, beat remaining ingredients till thickened and pale, and
> temper together. Boil till thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk
> out lumps. Strain through fine strainer if necessary. Pat of butter
> on surface to prevent skin from forming. Add other flavorings
> (liquers, coffee, chocolate, etc), now. Will keep for two days in
> fridge.
>
> I've also seen gelatin sheets added to keep pastry cream stable when
> used in something like a puff pastry fruit tart. I don't have the
> measurement, off hand, but I'll look for it if anyone is interested.
>
> nb

Thanks everso. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-07-26, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> > Where's the recipe you are going to use? ;-)

> Crème Patissière
> California Culinary Academy
>
> 2 C milk
> 6 eggs
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1/4 C flour, sifted
> 2 T corn starch, sifted
> 1-1/2 t vanilla extract (I'll be using whole bean)
>
> boil milk, beat remaining ingredients till thickened and pale, and
> temper together. Boil till thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk
> out lumps. Strain through fine strainer if necessary. Pat of butter
> on surface to prevent skin from forming. Add other flavorings
> (liquers, coffee, chocolate, etc), now. Will keep for two days in
> fridge.
>
> I've also seen gelatin sheets added to keep pastry cream stable when
> used in something like a puff pastry fruit tart. I don't have the
> measurement, off hand, but I'll look for it if anyone is interested.
>
> nb

I like to just cover the surface with plastic wrap. My recipes call
for the pat of butter, but it is mixed into the hot custard. I wish
there were a pastry cream that would survive without refrigeration.
(Other than that Crisco stuff, that is.)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-26, Nancy2 > wrote:

> there were a pastry cream that would survive without refrigeration.

Hey! ...if it's any good at all, why would it?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-07-26, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> Where's the recipe you are going to use? ;-)

> Crème Patissière
> California Culinary Academy
>
> 2 C milk
> 6 eggs
> 1/2 C sugar
> 1/4 C flour, sifted
> 2 T corn starch, sifted
> 1-1/2 t vanilla extract (I'll be using whole bean)
>
> boil milk, beat remaining ingredients till thickened and pale, and
> temper together. Boil till thickened, whisking constantly. Whisk
> out lumps. Strain through fine strainer if necessary. Pat of butter
> on surface to prevent skin from forming. Add other flavorings
> (liquers, coffee, chocolate, etc), now. Will keep for two days in
> fridge.
>
> I've also seen gelatin sheets added to keep pastry cream stable when
> used in something like a puff pastry fruit tart. I don't have the
> measurement, off hand, but I'll look for it if anyone is interested.
>
> nb

First, I'd use a vanilla bean, split and gently soaked in the milk as it's being
brought to temperature, then let it sit 10 minutes. Reheat to scalding (never boil
milk). Is that 6 whole eggs? Or just yolks? The recipe I use includes only the yolks.
Use whole milk, at least. I'd whisk in the butter and use some plastic wrap to keep
the skin from forming. More effectual, IME, and better tasting.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-28, Nexis > wrote:

> milk). Is that 6 whole eggs? Or just yolks?.......

DOH!

Well, we're one and one. Good catch on the yolk error. It is, in
fact, just the yolks.

>> 1-1/2 t vanilla extract (I'll be using whole bean)

But, you obviously missed my comment about using a bean.

nb