Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade candy flowers (gummy)

I remember several years ago coming across a recipe where you used the
sugared mint leaves, spice drops and the like, and made them into other

shapes. I can't for the life of me find any info on them now. Does
anyone else know what I am talking about? I think I remember the basic

idea but wanted to make sure. I need to make easy flowers and such for
a dirt cake this weekend. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> "cheyjohn" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> > I remember several years ago coming across
> > a recipe where you used the sugared mint leaves,
> > spice drops and the like, and made them into other
> > shapes. I can't for the life of me find any info on
> > them now. Does anyone else know what I am
> > talking about? I think I remember the basic idea
> > but wanted to make sure. I need to make easy
> > flowers and such for a dirt cake this weekend.

> I seem to vaguely remember such a thing, as well. If I had to hazard a
> guess, I'd say it was in a Wilton cake decorating book; you might check
> their website. Hmm, no.
>
> But here's what Pillsbury has to say about it:
> http://www.pillsburybaking.com/recip...?recipeid=9857
>
> and Betty Crocker uses this technique:
> http://www.bettycrocker.com/allabout....asp?gid=41126
>
> Which may give you the results you're looking for. I can't shake the
> feeling that I've seen flowers made with gumdrops where the gumdrops are cut
> crosswise into slices, then the slices are rolled flat into petals and
> leaves, and then put together for more realistic flowers --like roses.
> *shrug* I'm probably thinking of gumpaste flowers.
>
> -j

Something related I saw - near the middle of the clip when they made
the lid:
http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?...ipe&iID=517300

could that be applied to candy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cheyjohn wrote:
> I remember several years ago coming across a recipe where you used the
> sugared mint leaves, spice drops and the like, and made them into other
>
> shapes. I can't for the life of me find any info on them now. Does
> anyone else know what I am talking about? I think I remember the basic
>
> idea but wanted to make sure. I need to make easy flowers and such for
> a dirt cake this weekend. Thanks!

I remember seeing instructions to roll out the candy thin with finely
granulated sugar to prevent sticking, then cut out with a knife or
small cookie cutters or shape as desired.

If you can't manage this, you could always use gummy worms in the cake
and small silk flowers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cheyjohn wrote:
> I remember several years ago coming across a recipe where you used the
> sugared mint leaves, spice drops and the like, and made them into other
>
> shapes. I can't for the life of me find any info on them now. Does
> anyone else know what I am talking about? I think I remember the basic
>
> idea but wanted to make sure. I need to make easy flowers and such for
> a dirt cake this weekend. Thanks!

You cut the gumdrops into slices, roll them in sugar, flatten a bit
and then use the pieces to form petals and leaves. I could never get
it to work so switched to marzipan.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> cheyjohn wrote:
> > I remember several years ago coming across a recipe where you used the
> > sugared mint leaves, spice drops and the like, and made them into other
> >
> > shapes. I can't for the life of me find any info on them now. Does
> > anyone else know what I am talking about? I think I remember the basic
> >
> > idea but wanted to make sure. I need to make easy flowers and such for
> > a dirt cake this weekend. Thanks!

> You cut the gumdrops into slices, roll them in sugar, flatten a bit
> and then use the pieces to form petals and leaves.

That sounds like "rape" to me...

--
Best
Greg

Yummy quick , homemade chocolate candy truffle recipe [email protected] General Cooking 2 25-06-2007 06:35 PM
homemade hard candy Tim Recipes 0 04-12-2005 08:46 PM
Homemade candy shelf life DJS0302 General Cooking 5 05-11-2004 12:14 AM
Packaging homemade candy?? Stephanie Baking 3 19-11-2003 04:32 PM
Packaging homemade candy?? Stephanie Baking 2 16-11-2003 11:49 PM