Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default supper tonight

I've just put in Damsel's Italian beef recipe the crockpot. I figure it
should be done by supper time...Gonna eat it with a side of beets.

I figure just to roast the Beets in their skins...slip them out of their
skins and eat them with a little butter.

Sliced strawberries in that canned thick cream for dessert.

I modified Damsel's recipe to suit my tastes...Replacing the 1/2 tsp of
garlic powder with 1 tsp onion powder... Added 1 tsp celery seed and
about 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper...Plus I upped the crushed garlic
to 10 cloves. I didn't have a can of beef consumee on hand so I went with
some readibase beef stock and water.

I might chop up some onion, saute and add it to the broth/dipping sauce
depends on temperature outside and laziness factors inside.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Damsel's Italian Beef

none

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed; (bottom round)
7 cloves garlic; crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups beef broth

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in
large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir well.
Pour
over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into a
storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large saucepan.
Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated through.

Serve meat slices with heated broth.
Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

2 carbs per serving

Cuisine:
"Low Carb"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 284 Calories; 10g Fat (34.4%
calories from fat); 43g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
110mg Cholesterol; 446mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean
Meat;
0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Contributor: Damsel in dis Dress

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:08:41 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>I've just put in Damsel's Italian beef recipe the crockpot. I figure it
>should be done by supper time...

The meat is supposed to be chilled before slicing so it can be served
in as thin of slices as possible. Or are you pretty good at getting
thin slices of hot beef?

Your changes sound good!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:08:41 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
> wrote:
>
> >I've just put in Damsel's Italian beef recipe the crockpot. I figure

it
> >should be done by supper time...

> The meat is supposed to be chilled before slicing so it can be served
> in as thin of slices as possible. Or are you pretty good at getting
> thin slices of hot beef?
>
> Your changes sound good!
>
> Carol

Yes...recipe says cook 5 hours...then chill. Started about 9:50 AM ...5
hrs later takes me to around 3 PM leaving 2 or 3 hours to get it
chilled...

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:22:24 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:08:41 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I've just put in Damsel's Italian beef recipe the crockpot. I figure
>> >it should be done by supper time...

>> The meat is supposed to be chilled before slicing so it can be served
>> in as thin of slices as possible. Or are you pretty good at getting
>> thin slices of hot beef?

>Yes...recipe says cook 5 hours...then chill. Started about 9:50 AM ...5
>hrs later takes me to around 3 PM leaving 2 or 3 hours to get it
>chilled...

Please let me know what you think of it!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Please let me know what you think of it!
>
> Carol

So far the smell...made me eat what I had planned for dessert. Smells
wonderful...

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:37:27 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Please let me know what you think of it!

>So far the smell...made me eat what I had planned for dessert. Smells
>wonderful...

I'm salivating just thinking about the fragrances coming from your
crockpot.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Please let me know what you think of it!

The meat looked tender around 2:30, so I removed it to a covered dish and
into the fridge.

Well I sliced the meat thin and put it back in the crockpot...with the
juice/broth. It has about another hour and 1/2 to go...Stole a slice and
dipped it excellent so far. BTW I used my cleaver for this...how is your
cleaver doing?

Now for the beets...A little oil in a pyrex pot with lid...add the beets, a
little salt and into the oven we go...I figure (not having a recipe) 350 F
for a hour or so. Till they are tender and peel easy.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Please let me know what you think of it!
> >

> The meat looked tender around 2:30, so I removed it to a covered dish and
> into the fridge.
>
> Well I sliced the meat thin and put it back in the crockpot...with the
> juice/broth. It has about another hour and 1/2 to go...Stole a slice and
> dipped it excellent so far. BTW I used my cleaver for this...how is your
> cleaver doing?

The cleaver is wonderful! That sucker will cut through anything. I
don't have a very good aim with it for hacking butternut squash in
half, but I'm able to chop it into a few pieces to go into the oven.
Do you use yours like a regular knife for slicing? Apparently, you do.
It works well?

> Now for the beets...A little oil in a pyrex pot with lid...add the beets, a
> little salt and into the oven we go...I figure (not having a recipe) 350 F
> for a hour or so. Till they are tender and peel easy.

Crash loves beets. I'm completely neutral on them. I'll eat them, but
wouldn't crave them. I think it's unusual to not have a strong
position on this subject.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Do you use yours like a regular knife for slicing? Apparently, you do.
> It works well?

Yes I use it for slicing meat thin but mostly for veggie prep. And some
chicken part making. I haven't cut or nicked myself chopping up veggies
since I started to use it, with my other knives I'd nick myself regularly.
I do sharpen it weekly, I have to it is the most used knife in the kitchen.
My aim sucks too so I place it on a squash where I want to cut and whack it
with my rubber mallet.

BTW the beef was very good. So were the beets, But due to beef broth and
butter and beet juice...I decided to eat them on seperate plates. I also
stewed up a handful of tiny mushrooms in a little chicken stock and butter.
Supper was great.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote :

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Do you use yours like a regular knife for slicing? Apparently, you do.
> > It works well?

> Yes I use it for slicing meat thin but mostly for veggie prep. And some
> chicken part making. I haven't cut or nicked myself chopping up veggies
> since I started to use it, with my other knives I'd nick myself regularly.
> I do sharpen it weekly, I have to it is the most used knife in the kitchen.
> My aim sucks too so I place it on a squash where I want to cut and whack it
> with my rubber mallet.

Note to self: Get rubber mallet.

> BTW the beef was very good. So were the beets, But due to beef broth and
> butter and beet juice...I decided to eat them on seperate plates. I also
> stewed up a handful of tiny mushrooms in a little chicken stock and butter.
> Supper was great.

Glad you liked it!
Carol