Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Perfect way to spend a brutal-sizzling-miserably hot day

I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
respectable hour.

Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.

Time will tell.

toodles for now,
TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
>I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.
>
> Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
> heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
> make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
> salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.
>
> Time will tell.
>
> toodles for now,
> TammyM

Booze makes you hotter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
>I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.
>
> Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
> heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
> make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
> salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.
>
> Time will tell.
>
> toodles for now,
> TammyM

LOL attagirl!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.
>
> Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
> heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
> make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
> salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.
>
> Time will tell.
>
> toodles for now,
> TammyM

I made "hippie salad" for lunch, second day in a row. It's lots of raw
chopped veggies, raw corn kernels, a bit of mint, scallion, red leaf
lettuce, whatever, and a lemon-garlic vinaigrette. Of course a real
hippie salad would have a tamari-tahini dressing and sunflower seeds,
which mine didn't. The point is, I never used to make raw veggie
salads, but with the unusual heat in the bay area I just don't feel
like cooking.

"Raw foods" are a trend these days. I've avoided getting on that
bandwagon, but in the heat of summer, when the produce is fresh and
fabulous and the kitchen is danged hot (we don't have a/c because
usually you only need it one or two days a year in this town) - raw
food it is.

Also - looseleaf Earl Grey tea steeped with fresh mint, sweetened with
wildflower honey - excellent and refreshing. Hot tea makes you sweat
and cool off, it's why the Pakistanis, Indians and other denizens of
hot countries drink it.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.
>
> Steve Wertz really enticed me with that gyro recipe, damn his wicked
> heart <g> And Pandora also with that lovely veggie carbonara. I may
> make one, I may make both, I may make good on my threat to just do
> salad for dinner. Or I might just drink beer.
>
> Time will tell.
>
> toodles for now,
> TammyM

I've been doing a lot of cooking with the microwave, including a whole
chicken. DH was not happy, since he loves the crisp skin, but it
doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven or cooktop. I made it up to
him by using some spicy sauces and other seasonings.

The humidity here has been dreadful, even though temps are hanging in
the 80's. can't breath, don't feel like getting up at all, little say
cooking. We've had tuna salad, marinated tofu, green salads with
hummus, and fish, since it can be broiled quickly and doesn't seem to
heat the house up too dreadfully.

Been thinking of things like gazpacho and other cold soups. Beer
sounds good. How much protein in a can?
;-)
maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila wrote:

> Hot tea makes you sweat and cool off, it's why the Pakistanis, Indians and
> other denizens of hot countries drink it.

That's a myth: http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/whimsy/a/teamyth.htm

I think the REAL reason that Indians and Pakistanis drink hot tea in the
heat is that it's such an uncomfortable thing to do that they conserve water
by only being able to down tiny amounts.

I don't need hot tea to make me sweat. The INSANELY BRUTAL BLISTERING HEAT
is sufficient for that. I need liquids to replenish what I'm losing when I
sweat. Gimme my Gatorade!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Leila wrote:
>
> > Hot tea makes you sweat and cool off, it's why the Pakistanis, Indians and
> > other denizens of hot countries drink it.

> That's a myth: http://coffeetea.about.com/cs/whimsy/a/teamyth.htm

I find that link to have little or no credibility.
Now if Wikipedia said it, I just might believe it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-24, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Now if Wikipedia said it, I just might believe it!

Wikipedia has credibility problems of its own.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Jul 2006 17:01:47 -0700, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:

<snip some stuff about hot weather whinings)

>I've been doing a lot of cooking with the microwave, including a whole
>chicken. DH was not happy, since he loves the crisp skin, but it
>doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven or cooktop. I made it up to
>him by using some spicy sauces and other seasonings.
>
>The humidity here has been dreadful, even though temps are hanging in
>the 80's. can't breath, don't feel like getting up at all, little say
>cooking. We've had tuna salad, marinated tofu, green salads with
>hummus, and fish, since it can be broiled quickly and doesn't seem to
>heat the house up too dreadfully.
>
>Been thinking of things like gazpacho and other cold soups. Beer
>sounds good. How much protein in a can?
>;-)

I whipped up some vichyssoise (again). Did it all in the micro.
Housemate LOVES my vichy, but I wasn't even up to the task of minding
a hot stove. I cooked the potats in the MW, sauteed the leeks in the
MW, everything else in the blender.

It was fab. We will do this again. No heating up of die Kuche!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob replied to Mark:

>> Now if Wikipedia said it, I just might believe it!

> Wikipedia has credibility problems of its own.

I think Mark was joking. I *hope* so, anyway.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> I just returned from the grocery store about an hour ago. The truck
> is air conditioned, the store is air conditioned and my house is air
> conditioned, and I'm STILL all sweaty and icky. I put the stuff away,
> took a nice cool shower, and just settled back on the sofa with a
> Fresca and a stack of cookbooks. The beer will come at a more
> respectable hour.

I broke down and fired up the crock pot because I couldn't stand to
even stand by the stove. I would much rather eat raw foods ( like
Leila) but DH wants his meat...:/ So I did a chicken cut-up with
potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and red peppers.

-L.

Two Niggas arrested in brutal hammer beating in Seminole walt tonne General Cooking 6 06-04-2012 03:17 AM
Sizzling Citrus Shrimp AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 18-08-2007 10:37 PM
Sizzling Rice Soup Recipes (moderated) 0 12-08-2005 04:22 AM
Sizzling Rice Soup Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-08-2005 06:25 AM
TN: brutal Brut, plus Charvin, Chave, Strub, etc Dale Williams Wine 3 28-02-2005 02:29 AM