Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with whisky

I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.

So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.

Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and they
pretty much all use vodka or brandy.

Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

--
Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rtk rtk is offline

D.Currie wrote:
> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

I've used whiskey as a marinade for gamey meat. I should
think it would be okay with any highly flavored meat,
especially if the whiskey is softened with perhaps a white
balsamic vinegar and a little fruity olive oil, maybe some
thyme and other quiet herbs. Then I would smoke the meat
slowly.

rtk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:
> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
>
> --
> Donna

Well, what my mother used to do was ruin a perfectly good fruit cake
each holiday season by pouring some of that firewater on it. You could
do that. You could light it and use it under a fondue or as charcoal
lighter too if its 80 proof or more. Otherwise, recycle the stuff and
give it away to a friend who drinks. As far as I can tell, everything
that gets brandy, wine, or spirits added to it (beer being the only
exception) comes out the worse for the adulteration. Beer batter seems
OK. dkw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles
> of whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH.
> The bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.

If it's Crown Royal Special Reserve, don't use it
for cooking! Keep it as a emergency ration for
snakebite, accidental gunshot wounds, or guests.

The rest of it can be used for extracting flavors
from fruit, herbs, spices, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
>I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
>whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
>something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
>bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And
> I doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these
> years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and
> they pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

This is just the right time to bake your Christmas fruitcakes. Make a half
dozen or so, then give them each a little drink of whiskey every week or two
until December. They'll be "Jush rie" for the holidays.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.

Hi Donna,

try this site for some whiskey recipes:
http://search.abc.net.au/search/sear...&query=whiskey

you're bound to find some you like!

cheers,

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:
>> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
>> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
>> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
>> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>>
>> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you.
>> And I doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these
>> years.
>>
>> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and
>> they pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>>
>> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
>> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
>> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or
>> maybe something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
>>

> Whiskey works pretty good for making vanilla extract.

Hmmmmm....I'll have to try that.

> Use it for medicinal purposes: Mix it with honey and lemon juice to make
> cough syrup; add a little boiling water honey and lemon to make a hot
> toddy to ease winter colds.

If I had that on hand, I might just get sick to try it out. :-)

> I did a search for Whiskey Chicken and found a bunch of recipes.

I think there's some sort of drunken chicken, too. And possibly BBQ sauce,
as well.

Thanks!

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rich" > wrote in message

> This is just the right time to bake your Christmas fruitcakes. Make a half
> dozen or so, then give them each a little drink of whiskey every week or
> two until December. They'll be "Jush rie" for the holidays.

I'm not a big fan of fruitcake, although there might be some alternative
recipes that I'd be willing to try. This could be the year.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> D.Currie wrote:
>
>> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you.
>> And I
>> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.

> Hi Donna,
>
> try this site for some whiskey recipes:
> http://search.abc.net.au/search/sear...&query=whiskey
>
> you're bound to find some you like!

Uh oh. Lotsa recipes. But-but-but what if I like them and I use all my
whisky and I have to buy MORE?

:-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>>

>> This is just the right time to bake your Christmas fruitcakes. Make a
>> half dozen or so, then give them each a little drink of whiskey every
>> week or two until December. They'll be "Jush rie" for the holidays.

> I'm not a big fan of fruitcake, although there might be some alternative
> recipes that I'd be willing to try. This could be the year.

Alton Brown did one on the Food Network. I haven't tried it, but it looks
good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_8157,00.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/xv0z

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rich" > wrote in message

> Alton Brown did one on the Food Network. I haven't tried it, but it looks
> good.

I saw that episode. I think if I made it, it would be just the apples and
nuts. I'm not fond of most of the other dried fruits. Apple and nuts I like,
though. We'll see....

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

I'd try it to do fruit liqueurs... There is no reason under the sun why
that won't work. :-)

Get some fresh strawberries, core them, slice in half.
Get some fresh blueberries, rinse.
Get some fresh blackberries and/or raspberries, rinse.

Pack lightly into wide-mouth jars and add just a little sugar (about 2
tbs. per quart) and fill remaining space with whisky.
Let sit for a minimum of 1 week. I generally do this in the 'frige, but
that's just me.

I have done it with vodka, brandy, rum and even grain alcohol but whisky
has a rich flavor that should work just fine!

Since whisky has a smokier flavor like tequila does, it'd be worth
trying to do a citrus extract as well. Clean and slice some lemon, lime
and small oranges and put those in a widemouth quart jar. Add a little
sugar and top that off with the whiskey.

I'm going to have to try that myself. :-) I generally get Evan Williams
black label but I'd probably use tequila.

The berry mix is excellent served over ice cream, pound cake or angel
food cake.

HTH? :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> "Rich" > wrote in message
> >>

> > This is just the right time to bake your Christmas fruitcakes. Make a half
> > dozen or so, then give them each a little drink of whiskey every week or
> > two until December. They'll be "Jush rie" for the holidays.

> I'm not a big fan of fruitcake, although there might be some alternative
> recipes that I'd be willing to try. This could be the year.
>
> Donna

Fruit puddings...

My mom made a kick-ass persimmon pudding every year and used brandy.
Whisky might work too. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ,
D.Currie > typed:
> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles
> of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH.
> The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to
> you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these
> years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes,
> and they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory,
> it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of
> the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or
> maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
>
> --
> Donna

I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
rarely) I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.
;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very rarely)
> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee and 2
inches of double cream at the top)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very rarely)
> > I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
> > Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

> I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
> A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee and 2
> inches of double cream at the top)))

I'd add a packet of sugar free hot cocoa to that. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> > I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
>> > rarely)
>> > I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
>> > Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

>> I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>> A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee and 2
>> inches of double cream at the top)))

> I'd add a packet of sugar free hot cocoa to that. ;-d

Really? Hmmm I think I like it very well as it is)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> In ,
> D.Currie > typed:
>> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
>> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
>> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
>> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>>
>> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you.
>> And I
>> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>>
>> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and
>> they
>> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>>
>> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
>> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
>> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or
>> maybe
>> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
>>
>> --
>> Donna

> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very rarely)
> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.
> ;-)
>
> BOB

Now you're making sense!

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "D.Currie" > wrote:
> I'd try it to do fruit liqueurs... There is no reason under the sun why
> that won't work. :-)
>
> Get some fresh strawberries, core them, slice in half.
> Get some fresh blueberries, rinse.
> Get some fresh blackberries and/or raspberries, rinse.
>
> Pack lightly into wide-mouth jars and add just a little sugar (about 2
> tbs. per quart) and fill remaining space with whisky.
> Let sit for a minimum of 1 week. I generally do this in the 'frige, but
> that's just me.
>
> I have done it with vodka, brandy, rum and even grain alcohol but whisky
> has a rich flavor that should work just fine!
>
> Since whisky has a smokier flavor like tequila does, it'd be worth
> trying to do a citrus extract as well. Clean and slice some lemon, lime
> and small oranges and put those in a widemouth quart jar. Add a little
> sugar and top that off with the whiskey.
>
> I'm going to have to try that myself. :-) I generally get Evan Williams
> black label but I'd probably use tequila.
>
> The berry mix is excellent served over ice cream, pound cake or angel
> food cake.

A mix of blackberries and raspberries sounds appealing. That little sugar,
though? Most of the liqueur recipes I googled had a LOT of sugar. It was
something like a 1/2 cup sugar to a cup of booze, and the waiting time was
anything from 3 - 8 months....

And I'm thinking the berries would be great in home made ice cream. Yum.

I might like them better soaked in rum, though....hmmmmm...I wonder if
there's any rum hiding somewhere. I know I saw some pineapple rum or banana
rum in there that came home with me after a tropical vacation. This could be
fun....

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of fruitcake, although there might be some alternative
> recipes that I'd be willing to try. This could be the year.

I've only made the following fruitcake with Myers's rum, but I'm sure
it would be fantastic with whiskey. Even people who don't like
fruitcake have happily eaten it. I think the difference is the dried
fruits instead of the horrible plasticky candied fruits so common in
fruitcakes.

(Recipe from http://dianasdesserts.com)

Jamaican Dark Rum Christmas Fruitcake

Servings: 1 large or 2 medium cakes

Comments:

The elements of this fruit cake from Jamaica and Trinidad are prepared
on separate days. The preparation has been divided it into three
sections - the early preparation, caramelizing sugar, which can be done
the day before, and the day of cooking. This is a rum cake, a fruit
cake, a Christmas cake. This is euphoria.

"Jackie, a guest to Diana's Desserts website told me that this
delicious cake should be served with Whole Cream, not whipped cream,
and that there is enough batter to make 2 tube cakes in this
recipe".....Diana

Ingredients:

1 pound currants
1 pound raisins
1 pound prunes
1 pound dried figs
1 (16 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
1/2 pound mixed peel
1/4 pound almonds, chopped
1 tablespoon angostura bitters
2 1/2 cups Dark Jamaica rum

For Caramelizing Sugar:

3/4 pound brown sugar
1/2 cup boiling water

For Final Cooking:

2 teaspoons grated lime peel
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 pound butter (4 sticks) softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
9 large eggs

Equipment:

Two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans or one 10 inch tube pan. Parchment paper or
waxed paper.

Instructions:

Step 1: Preparation Day:

Chop currants, raisins, prunes, figs and cherries. Put in large bowl
with mixed peel and almonds. Stir to combine. Sprinkle on bitters and
pour rum over mixture. Soak for a minimum of 24 hours, extending to one
month. [Note from Laurie Colwin in _Home Cooking_: Marinate at least
two weeks, but the longer the better, up to six months.] Dream about
this cake for whatever period of time you have chosen.

Step 2: Caramelizing Sugar

Put brown sugar in heavy pot. Stir, letting sugar liquefy. Cook over
low heat until dark, stirring constantly, so sugar does not burn. When
almost burnt, remove from heat and stir in hot water gradually. Mix
well, let cool, and pour into container for use in final cooking.

[Note from Laurie Colwin in _Home Cooking_: A Black Cake ... gets its
blackness in part from Burnt Sugar Essence, which is available in West
Indian grocery stores. If it's unavailable, Betty (author of recipe)
suggests putting a pound of brown sugar in a heavy skillet with a
little water and boiling it gently until it begins to turn black. You
do not want to overboil. It should be only slightly bitter, black and
definitely burnt.]

Step 3: Final Cooking

Preheat oven to 250°F.

Bring fruit from its resting place. Stir lime peel, vanilla and
caramelized sugar into fruit. Mix well. Set aside.

Sift together flour, baking powder and cloves. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar until mixture is light. Add the eggs,
one at a time until blended.

Stir in dry ingredients gradually. When mixed, stir in fruit mixture.

Pour into tins lined with buttered parchment paper or waxed paper.
Place pan (or pans) in large shallow pan of hot water. Cook in
preheated 250°F oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until a tester inserted in
center of cake comes out clean. Cake should have shrunk from sides of
pan.

Cool for 24 hours in pans. When cool, moisten with rum, remove from
pans, and wrap in aluminum foil or a rum-drenched cloth. Cakes may be
stored to ripen. If keeping for any length of time, check occasionally
to add more rum.

Makes: 1 large or 2 medium cakes.

Date: October 30, 2002

© 2003 Diana Baker Woodall

-----

Derek Juhl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
> >>
> >> A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee and 2
> >> inches of double cream at the top)))

> > I'd add a packet of sugar free hot cocoa to that. ;-d

> Really? Hmmm I think I like it very well as it is)

Mocha java with cream and with booze is awesome.
Trust me! I usually use Brandy tho', or rum.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "D.Currie" > wrote:
> > I'd try it to do fruit liqueurs... There is no reason under the sun why
> > that won't work. :-)
> >
> > Get some fresh strawberries, core them, slice in half.
> > Get some fresh blueberries, rinse.
> > Get some fresh blackberries and/or raspberries, rinse.
> >
> > Pack lightly into wide-mouth jars and add just a little sugar (about 2
> > tbs. per quart) and fill remaining space with whisky.
> > Let sit for a minimum of 1 week. I generally do this in the 'frige, but
> > that's just me.
> >
> > I have done it with vodka, brandy, rum and even grain alcohol but whisky
> > has a rich flavor that should work just fine!
> >
> > Since whisky has a smokier flavor like tequila does, it'd be worth
> > trying to do a citrus extract as well. Clean and slice some lemon, lime
> > and small oranges and put those in a widemouth quart jar. Add a little
> > sugar and top that off with the whiskey.
> >
> > I'm going to have to try that myself. :-) I generally get Evan Williams
> > black label but I'd probably use tequila.
> >
> > The berry mix is excellent served over ice cream, pound cake or angel
> > food cake.

> A mix of blackberries and raspberries sounds appealing. That little sugar,
> though? Most of the liqueur recipes I googled had a LOT of sugar. It was
> something like a 1/2 cup sugar to a cup of booze, and the waiting time was
> anything from 3 - 8 months....

I've never seen the need for excess sugar.
If it's not sweet enough, it can be added afterwards.

I only use sugar if I'm using grain alcohol. If I'm using vodka, I don't
add ANY sugar. It's sweet enough.

It extracts quicker than you think. Ask TFM about their excess
strawberries a few months ago. <G>

> And I'm thinking the berries would be great in home made ice cream. Yum.

Indeed!!!!!!

> I might like them better soaked in rum, though....hmmmmm...I wonder if
> there's any rum hiding somewhere. I know I saw some pineapple rum or banana
> rum in there that came home with me after a tropical vacation. This could be
> fun....
>
> Donna

Doing booze and fruit is a lot of fun.
I've done brandied fruit as Christmas gifts. It goes over well and I
generally start the jars the first part of November.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> Mocha java with cream and with booze is awesome.
> Trust me! I usually use Brandy tho', or rum.

sounds pretty much what I am having now

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > Mocha java with cream and with booze is awesome.
> > Trust me! I usually use Brandy tho', or rum.

> sounds pretty much what I am having now

Yum.....

Today, for me, it's wine coolers.
It's hot out there!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In ,
Ophelia > typed:
> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
>> rarely)
>> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
>> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

> I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>
> A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee
> and 2
> inches of double cream at the top)))

Sounds like a plan, but I don't do coffee.
*This* coffee, I might be able to!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie > typed:
>> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
>> rarely)
>> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
>> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.
>> ;-)
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Now you're making sense!
>
> Donna

Thanks. I think. ;-)
It's rare that I make sense when I'm cooking with alcohol...

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I suppose you could make whiskey butter (instead of brandy butter), so let
melt over freshly baked cakes. Or use it in cakes such as pound cake. I am
sure it would go well with orange-flavored bajked goods, too.

And I wouldn't be afraid to use it in stews, such as things similar to Irish
stew.

I'd also be tempted to soak figs or prunes in it. Or you could use some in
whipped cream.

And of course you could make Irish coffee!

I believe whiskey is also the main ingredient in Bailey's - you could make
your own. Or use it in egg nogg?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
.. .
> D.Currie > typed:
>>> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
>>> rarely)
>>> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
>>> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> BOB
>>>

>> Now you're making sense!
>>
>> Donna

> Thanks. I think. ;-)
> It's rare that I make sense when I'm cooking with alcohol...
>
> BOB

I'm not a big drinker, so a little bit can make me VERRRY happy in a short
time. A happy cook is sometimes a creative cook...perhaps somewhat sloppy,
but a little more willing to throw new ingredients towards the stove than
when completely sober.

But being happy and creative in the kitchen (as long as the knives are still
respected) has much better results than when I'm, say, about to do a major
upgrade to a computer. Deciding which processor to use should be a matter of
science, not one of "hey, it fits!"

Sniffing the spices and tossing something together is much less likely to
trip a circuit breaker or go "boom!"

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

D.Currie > wrote:

> So what can I do with this stuff?

See <http://homecooking.about.com/library/weekly/aa073001a.htm>,
<http://www.fife.50megs.com/whisky-recipes.htm> and
<http://www.scotchwhisky.net/cooking/index.htm>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Soak the raisins for your home made cinnamon rolls in some of the
whiskey, just to cover the raisins. Do this while your dough is
rising, etc.

I then DRAIN the whiskey off the raisins, the smell will be pretty
strong, then add them to the cinnamon, sugar, nut, whatever mix. This
is really delicious.

-Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And

> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and

they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

I've made chicken cordon bleu with a whisky based cheese sauce before. I
don't do Crown Royal, but it worked just fine in the sauce! Make a roux,
add some swiss cheese and then add whisky to taste. It's yummy! (Or, make
a cheese fondue?)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"D.Currie" > wrote in message
> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And

> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and

they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

God's litle joke -

have a non-whiskey-drinker find bottles of whiskey

man.... there is NO justice...

> --
> Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> In ,
> Ophelia > typed:
>> " BOB" > wrote in message
>>> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
>>> rarely)
>>> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
>>> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

>> I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>
>> A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee
>> and 2
>> inches of double cream at the top)))

> Sounds like a plan, but I don't do coffee.
> *This* coffee, I might be able to!

You could give it a wee try)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> In ,
> Ophelia > typed:
> > " BOB" > wrote in message
> >> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
> >> rarely)
> >> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
> >> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.

> > I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
> >
> > A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee
> > and 2
> > inches of double cream at the top)))

> Sounds like a plan, but I don't do coffee.
> *This* coffee, I might be able to!
>
> BOB

Skip the coffee, use hot cocoa with the whiskey and heavy cream. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> D.Currie > typed:
> >> I frequently cook with beer, rarely whiskey, but ocasionally (very
> >> rarely)
> >> I'll cook with a single malt Scotch.
> >> Every now and then, I'll put a little in the food.
> >> ;-)
> >>
> >> BOB
> >>

> > Now you're making sense!
> >
> > Donna

> Thanks. I think. ;-)
> It's rare that I make sense when I'm cooking with alcohol...
>
> BOB

<lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> >
>> > I often have a Gaelic coffee ) yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>> >
>> > A double shot of whisky in the bottom of a glass. Good hot coffee
>> > and 2
>> > inches of double cream at the top)))

>> Sounds like a plan, but I don't do coffee.
>> *This* coffee, I might be able to!
>>
>> BOB

> Skip the coffee, use hot cocoa with the whiskey and heavy cream. <G>

I think the cocoa would be too sweet for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hob" > wrote in message
. ..

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
>> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
>> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
>> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>>
>> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you.
>> And

>> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>>
>> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and

> they
>> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>>
>> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
>> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
>> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or
>> maybe
>> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
>>

> God's litle joke -
>
> have a non-whiskey-drinker find bottles of whiskey
>
> man.... there is NO justice...

It's not so much that I don't like the taste, but the smell brings back some
really bad memories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"D.Currie" > wrote:

> "hob" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> >> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> >> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> >> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
> >>
> >> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you.
> >> And

> >> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
> >>
> >> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and

> > they
> >> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
> >>
> >> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> >> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> >> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or
> >> maybe
> >> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?
> >>

> > God's litle joke -
> >
> > have a non-whiskey-drinker find bottles of whiskey
> >
> > man.... there is NO justice...

> It's not so much that I don't like the taste, but the smell brings back some
> really bad memories.

I think I understand....

Hugs sent your way!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
>> It's not so much that I don't like the taste, but the smell brings back
>> some
>> really bad memories.

> I think I understand....
>
> Hugs sent your way!

Thanks. It could be worse...I don't mind avoiding drinking whisky. Now
chocolate would be a whole other matter. :-)

Donna

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"D.Currie" wrote:

> I was rooting around in the liquor cabinet and found several bottles of
> whisky, including Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Seagram's
> something-or-other. I don't drink this stuff, and neither does DH. The
> bottles were either leftovers from parties or maybe gifts.
>
> So what can I do with this stuff? No, I'm not going to mail it to you. And I
> doubt I'm going to suddenly acquire a taste for it after all these years.
>
> Can I use it to make fruit liqueurs? I started looking for recipes, and they
> pretty much all use vodka or brandy.
>
> Are there any sauces that would use up a lot of it? Sweet or savory, it
> doesn't matter. But it would be nice if I could use up big glugs of the
> stuff so I can get rid of it, rather than a tablespoon at a time. Or maybe
> something that I could bottle and store, or give away as a gift?

I would not recommend rye whiskey for fruit liqueurs. IMO, the best way to use
rye is to mix two part whiskey to one part red vermouth and a dash of Angostura
bitters. But you don't drink? You can rule that one out.

Try whiskey steaks. Add an ounce or so of whiskey to a tablespoon of Dijon
mustard and use it as a marinade for steaks before grilling. It tenderizes them
and adds a nice flavour. You won't taste the whiskey, not in a bad way.

OT whisky comment James Silverton[_4_] Wine 3 26-03-2014 07:04 PM
How often do you drink whisky? planbanan General 2 09-10-2008 12:18 AM
appreciating an old whisky jw 1111 General Cooking 129 19-02-2006 08:58 PM
Whisky Rarebit Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-10-2005 04:00 PM
Brining with Whisky? Graeme... in London Barbecue 23 13-11-2003 07:42 AM