Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vacuum Coffe Makers

Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
getting too hot and exploding or cracking.

BrianW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BrianW wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.
>
> BrianW

My parents used to have one. Two big pyrex glass globes with a
ground-glass filter in the middle. It was fascinating to watch, and it
made good coffee.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BrianW" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work good
> and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them getting
> too hot and exploding or cracking.
>
> BrianW

I have the Santos electric one. It makes great coffee, and it's great fun
to watch. It's actually made of some space age plastic, so I don't think it
would explode!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BrianW wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.
>
> BrianW

A Pyrex Silex. I've used one many times and have not experienced those
horrors. The chances of one getting "too hot" are slim, unless it is
boiled dry, Makes pretty darned good coffee too. If you get the
vacuum just right it will sit and perk away with no heat source. Neat
science experiment too.

Jess

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 22 Jul 2006 01:52:01p, BrianW meant to say...

> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.

I have 4 "antique" vacuum coffee makers dating from the 1940s. I use them
all periodically and have never had any type of problem.

I can't speak for the current generation of machines, although I have heard
that Bodum is very good.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Be kind to your inferiors, if you can find any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <Rdwwg.850769$084.318616@attbi_s22>,
BrianW > wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.

I have about 15 antique vac pots of different styles and used them until
I became too paranoid about breaking the glass.

As a result, I bought a Bodum mini e-Santos (i.e., the electric model),
and have used it daily for a couple of years. Love the thing.

The only potential cracking problem COULD be if you grind too fine and
the water can't be sucked back down (you should grind just a little
finer than for autodrip), but I've never heard of any such occurrence.

see
<http://www.bodum.com/pages/products/...d=10&subFamId=
1002&id=3000-10CH>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:52:01 GMT, BrianW >
wrote:

>Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
>good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
>getting too hot and exploding or cracking.
>
>BrianW

If you have not yet found these sources, enjoy:

http://www.coffeekid.com/coffee/vacpots/vacpotfaq

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.vacuum.shtml

the following tinyurl takes you to CoffeeGeek:

http://tinyurl.com/h5sfk

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

BrianW > wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.

I have a "gas-fired" Bodum Santos. It makes excellent coffee, but I
tend not to use it because it requires much more of my attention
(waiting for the boil, making sure the coffee makes it all the way
up and all the way down) than my automatic drip coffeemaker. I also
refuse to put it in the dishwasher, so it has to be cleaned by hand
-- another intervention I don't make with the ADC.

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bodum has a sale on their electric vacuum coffee makers...Damn you you
made me buy one...

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:52:01 GMT, BrianW >
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> >good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> >getting too hot and exploding or cracking.
> >
> >BrianW

> If you have not yet found these sources, enjoy:
>
> http://www.coffeekid.com/coffee/vacpots/vacpotfaq
>
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.vacuum.shtml
>
> the following tinyurl takes you to CoffeeGeek:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/h5sfk
>

> jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM MoM is offline

I had one for years. Made ok coffee but grounds always got in. Mine was
S/S so no chance of exploding.

MoM

--
MoM
in
"BrianW" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.
>
> BrianW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BrianW wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work
> good and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them
> getting too hot and exploding or cracking.

The last time I used a vacuum coffee maker was back in 1965 when I worked
in a snack bar. I didn't know that they where still being used. You put
the coffee in the top level and water in the bottom and then put it on a
burner. When the water boils the steam forces it into the top and you take
it off the burner and the vacuum sucks the coffee into the bottom. The make
good coffee.
I don't imagine it would be too hard to overheat the bottom pot if you left
it on the burner too long after all the water had been forced out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote on 24 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/ekxwj

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BrianW" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have experience with a vacuum coffee maker? Do they work good
> and make a fine cup of coffee? I have heard horror stories of them getting
> too hot and exploding or cracking.

Since I don't drink much coffee, I mainly use my Bodum for making green ice
tea, an application that I haven't heard anyone mention yet.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-24, Curt Nelson > wrote:

> Since I don't drink much coffee, I mainly use my Bodum for making green ice
> tea, an application that I haven't heard anyone mention yet.

Your Bodum what? Bodum only markets about a gazillion items for both
coffee *AND* tea.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2006-07-24, Curt Nelson > wrote:
>
> > Since I don't drink much coffee, I mainly use my Bodum for making green ice
> > tea, an application that I haven't heard anyone mention yet.

> Your Bodum what? Bodum only markets about a gazillion items for both
> coffee *AND* tea.

That is true, something which I found out when I Googled Bodum and French Press.
I have had a "Bodum " (French Press) for many years, and always referred to it
as a Bodum because, IIRC the label on the box had Bodum Coffee Maker. It never
said that it was a French Press. In all the time I have spent in coffee shops
and kitchen stores, the only other Bodum products I ever saw were the beaker-
like coffee cups. You really have to do your research to know that Bodum makes
other things.

Coffe makers Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 96 15-03-2012 08:47 PM
Advantages of Vacuum Sealing vs non vacuum Sealerdave General Cooking 4 14-09-2009 06:28 PM
The best coffe grinders RubyU Coffee 3 14-12-2006 05:50 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Preserving 3 05-07-2004 08:06 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream peas in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Cooking Equipment 1 02-07-2004 04:44 AM