Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blackberry Cobbler

Whatcha think? (I don't do sweets so I need opinions!)

4 cups fresh blackberries
1 c. sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter melted
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer in
ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.), cornstarch
and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the blackberries; stir
mixture gently. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
Add milk, butter and egg and stir to mix through. Spread batter evenly over
berries, all the way to the edge of the baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved
sugar. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes
before serving.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 21 Jul 2006 11:44:56p, jmcquown meant to say...

> Whatcha think? (I don't do sweets so I need opinions!)
>
> 4 cups fresh blackberries
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 Tbs. cornstarch
> 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
> 1 c. all-purpose flour
> 2 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/4 c. butter melted
> 1 egg
>
> Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer in
> ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.),
> cornstarch and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the
> blackberries; stir mixture gently. Combine flour, baking powder and
> salt in a medium bowl. Add milk, butter and egg and stir to mix through.
> Spread batter evenly over berries, all the way to the edge of the
> baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved sugar. Bake 30-35 minutes or until
> golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
>
> Jill

I think I'd like to eat it...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Be kind to your inferiors, if you can find any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 21 Jul 2006 11:44:56p, jmcquown meant to say...
>
>> Whatcha think? (I don't do sweets so I need opinions!)
>>
>> 4 cups fresh blackberries
>> 1 c. sugar
>> 1 Tbs. cornstarch
>> 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
>> 1 c. all-purpose flour
>> 2 tsp. baking powder
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1/2 c. milk
>> 1/4 c. butter melted
>> 1 egg
>>
>> Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer in
>> ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.),
>> cornstarch and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the
>> blackberries; stir mixture gently. Combine flour, baking powder and
>> salt in a medium bowl. Add milk, butter and egg and stir to mix
>> through. Spread batter evenly over berries, all the way to the edge
>> of the baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved sugar. Bake 30-35
>> minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
>>
>> Jill

> I think I'd like to eat it...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

I think I will, too! It's supposed to be cooler here today so I won't mind
using the oven for half an hour and I can run out and get some 'nilla ice
cream

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 22 Jul 2006 05:27:35a, jmcquown meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 21 Jul 2006 11:44:56p, jmcquown meant to say...
>>
>>> Whatcha think? (I don't do sweets so I need opinions!)
>>>
>>> 4 cups fresh blackberries
>>> 1 c. sugar
>>> 1 Tbs. cornstarch
>>> 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
>>> 1 c. all-purpose flour
>>> 2 tsp. baking powder
>>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>>> 1/2 c. milk
>>> 1/4 c. butter melted
>>> 1 egg
>>>
>>> Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer in
>>> ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.),
>>> cornstarch and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the
>>> blackberries; stir mixture gently. Combine flour, baking powder and
>>> salt in a medium bowl. Add milk, butter and egg and stir to mix
>>> through. Spread batter evenly over berries, all the way to the edge
>>> of the baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved sugar. Bake 30-35
>>> minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I think I'd like to eat it...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

> I think I will, too! It's supposed to be cooler here today so I won't
> mind using the oven for half an hour and I can run out and get some
> 'nilla ice cream
>
> Jill

Enjoy some for me, too, Jill! Blackberries are one of my favorite fresh
berries and they aren't plentiful here. Four ounces run $2.99-$3.99. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright

Be kind to your inferiors, if you can find any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown sez:
> Whatcha think? (I don't do sweets so I need opinions!)
>
> 4 cups fresh blackberries
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 Tbs. cornstarch
> 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
> 1 c. all-purpose flour
> 2 tsp. baking powder
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 c. milk
> 1/4 c. butter melted
> 1 egg
>
> Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spread blackberries in an even layer in
> ungreased square 8x8 baking dish. Combine sugar (less 1 tsp.), cornstarch
> and lemon juice. Drizzle the cornstarch mixture over the blackberries; stir
> mixture gently. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
> Add milk, butter and egg and stir to mix through. Spread batter evenly over
> berries, all the way to the edge of the baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved
> sugar. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes
> before serving.
>
> Jill

As one who *does* eat sweets (and most everything else she can get her
hands on), I say go for it! Cobbler is one of my favorite desserts;
it's much easier than pie, and a wonderful way to treat fresh berries or
stone fruit. I'm making fruit dumplings this evening, with
olallieberries I picked earlier this week. Much too hot (around 100,
even up here under the redwoods) for the oven, which is why I love the
stovetop method for the dumplings.

Spitz
--
Mind the runner beans!