Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Time-Life Cookbooks: Foods of the World series

In article .com>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Another series that I recently pulled out of the closet is the 12 -
> volume _Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery_. Not only is it really
> thorough, but it's surprisingly sophisticated for 1966. I've enjoyed
> re - reading it...

I keep thinking about getting rid of my set. I believe it was from the
supermarket - one volume each week. Sound right?
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-19-2006, Visit to our Country
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

>I'd cut back the sugar to 1/4 cup, used
> bacon grease instead of the shortening
> and use buttermilk or soured milk
> instead of plain milk...

>Possible optional add-ins: a can of
> creamed corn, cheddar cheese, green
> chile peppers, and crumbled bacon or
> add all 4.

>Other than that it looks like a good
> recipe

It's a fabulous recipe without any modifications. What you've suggested
sounds good, too, but the end result would be completely different.
Let's do both.

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > writes:
>How many of you have some or all of these volumes?

I had to check a box in the basement, but it turns out that I have
20 of them. I got them from my mom, who I think got them from a
friend who dumped them before moving. I have none of the spiral-
bound recipe books that came with them.

The bad news, after I found the box, is that the volumes I have
all smell of mildew. They're somewhat dry (at least not water-logged)
so maybe there is hope.

Anyone have any hints on drying out old books?

Thanks,
Guy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"guy klose" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney > writes:
>>How many of you have some or all of these volumes?

> I had to check a box in the basement, but it turns out that I
> have
> 20 of them. I got them from my mom, who I think got them from a
> friend who dumped them before moving. I have none of the
> spiral-
> bound recipe books that came with them.
>
> The bad news, after I found the box, is that the volumes I have
> all smell of mildew. They're somewhat dry (at least not
> water-logged)
> so maybe there is hope.
>
> Anyone have any hints on drying out old books?
>
> Thanks,
> Guy

I Don't know how to "recover" books that have become wet. Even
after drying they still seem to have that mildew smell. By the
way, I just donated a complete set including the spiral-bound
recipe books of the Time-Life series. I don't think I ever
cooked a single recipe from them but in my younger days when I
got one a month I enjoyed the pictures!
Audrey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-26, guy klose > wrote:

> Anyone have any hints on drying out old books?

Toss in fireplace.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:28:17 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-07-26, guy klose > wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any hints on drying out old books?

>Toss in fireplace.
>
>nb

Hey,

I thought you said you were going to contribute to this thread...where
are your posts?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-26, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I thought you said you were going to contribute to this thread...where
> are your posts?

Hey! ...wasn't that one helpful?

No, really, I've got a couple volumes out. It's like old home week.

I think I'm going to make some Hasenphefer, as soon as the heat
breaks. I've always liked that recipe. (Germany) But, some of this
stuff.... Like who the heck has a saddle of venison to lard? I
haven't seen one of those since my saddle of venison delivery service
relocated to Hoboken.

Actually, a lot of these recipes are much more doable now than when
the series first came out in the 60s. The ingredient lists were way
beyond exotic back then. OTOH, it's still hard to find some of stuff
like champagne vinegar unless one is close to a metropolitan area or
can order online. Also, curiously, I notice there are virtually no
salads in the French volumes. In fact, all vegetables are cooked to
death or fried. What do the French have against vegetables?

One thing that drives me crazy is the whole premise behind the series.
Sell a set of books, complete with supplemental recipe pamphlets --are
these things pamphlets, spiral-ringed notebook thingies, what? I've
yet to see one to this day --, so buyers can buy the complete set,
then dump the books on the used market while keeping the supplements.
What a dirty trick. But, Time-Life always was the master of scumbag
marketing trickery. Who would've ever thought the people who brought
us the much loved and trusted periodicals like Life and Time magazine
would have devolved into some of the biggest marketing dirtbags of all
time? Today, when I hear the depised name of Time-Life, I hold out
crossed fingers till I can locate the remote.

I'm still running through these dusty ol' books, Christine. I'll post
more later. You know what, I may just keep 'em.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Audrey" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "guy klose" > wrote in message
>> Christine Dabney > writes:
>>>How many of you have some or all of these volumes?

>> I had to check a box in the basement, but it turns out that I have
>> 20 of them. I got them from my mom, who I think got them from a
>> friend who dumped them before moving. I have none of the spiral-
>> bound recipe books that came with them.
>>
>> The bad news, after I found the box, is that the volumes I have
>> all smell of mildew. They're somewhat dry (at least not water-logged)
>> so maybe there is hope.
>>
>> Anyone have any hints on drying out old books?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Guy

> I Don't know how to "recover" books that have become wet. Even after
> drying they still seem to have that mildew smell. By the way, I just
> donated a complete set including the spiral-bound recipe books of the
> Time-Life series. I don't think I ever cooked a single recipe from them
> but in my younger days when I got one a month I enjoyed the pictures!
> Audrey
>==============

Noooooooooooooo... I have a few of the books and wished that I had more!
Where did you donate them and where???? I NEED them... ! LOL

As for the books... hmmm... send them to me... LOL

Seriously, you may want to call a book restoration place on how to do it
properly. I have had success using a soft bristle brush first, to remove
the powdery dry ickies and then sprinkling on baby powder and brushing that
off. YMMV.

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob"
> <snip>.
>
> Actually, a lot of these recipes are much more doable now than when
> the series first came out in the 60s. The ingredient lists were way
> beyond exotic back then. OTOH, it's still hard to find some of stuff
> like champagne vinegar unless one is close to a metropolitan area or
> can order online. Also, curiously, I notice there are virtually no
> salads in the French volumes. In fact, all vegetables are cooked to
> death or fried. What do the French have against vegetables?
>
> One thing that drives me crazy is the whole premise behind the series.
> Sell a set of books, complete with supplemental recipe pamphlets --are
> these things pamphlets, spiral-ringed notebook thingies, what? I've
> yet to see one to this day --, so buyers can buy the complete set,
> then dump the books on the used market while keeping the supplements.
> What a dirty trick. But, Time-Life always was the master of scumbag
> marketing trickery. Who would've ever thought the people who brought
> us the much loved and trusted periodicals like Life and Time magazine
> would have devolved into some of the biggest marketing dirtbags of all
> time? Today, when I hear the depised name of Time-Life, I hold out
> crossed fingers till I can locate the remote.
>
> I'm still running through these dusty ol' books, Christine. I'll post
> more later. You know what, I may just keep 'em.
>
> nb
>=========

Actually, they came out long before then! Back in the 80s, I found a local
library that had the Time-Life cookbooks dated * 1944 *!! I'd give my eye
teeth to have them. How stupid was I not to ask if they'd part with them.

--
Cyndi (again)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:47:15 GMT, "Syssi" >
wrote:

>Actually, they came out long before then! Back in the 80s, I found a local
>library that had the Time-Life cookbooks dated * 1944 *!! I'd give my eye
>teeth to have them. How stupid was I not to ask if they'd part with them.
>
>--
>Cyndi (again)

This series started coming out in the late 60's. I remember seeing an
ad for the series, and I was all enthused. I asked my mother if I
could get the series, and she agreed to it. I was just a teenager at
the time.

I think we started getting the volumes about 68 or 69. Probably 68. I
was starting to cook from them pretty regularly by the time I left for
nursing school in 1969. I think I had about 5 or 6 volumes of them by
then... maybe more. I took the spiral bounds booklets to school with
me...

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:47:15 GMT, "Syssi" >
> wrote:
>

>>Actually, they came out long before then! Back in the 80s, I found a
>>local
>>library that had the Time-Life cookbooks dated * 1944 *!! I'd give my eye
>>teeth to have them. How stupid was I not to ask if they'd part with them.
>>
>>--
>>Cyndi (again)

> This series started coming out in the late 60's. I remember seeing an
> ad for the series, and I was all enthused. I asked my mother if I
> could get the series, and she agreed to it. I was just a teenager at
> the time.
>
> I think we started getting the volumes about 68 or 69. Probably 68. I
> was starting to cook from them pretty regularly by the time I left for
> nursing school in 1969. I think I had about 5 or 6 volumes of them by
> then... maybe more. I took the spiral bounds booklets to school with
> me...
>
> Christine

====

I beg to differ. They may not have become 'popular' until the 60s but they
*were* printed before. I found several of them dated 1944 in the O'Fallon,
Illinois Public Library. Two of the books that I copied recipe ideas from
were from the "Germany" and the "Israel" Time/Life Cook books. The recipes
used were "Rotkohl mit Apfeln (Red Cabbage and Apples)" and "Salat Znonit
Beshamenet (Radish & Red Onion Salad)".

Cyndi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:00:22 GMT, "Syssi" >
wrote:

>I beg to differ. They may not have become 'popular' until the 60s but they
>*were* printed before. I found several of them dated 1944 in the O'Fallon,
>Illinois Public Library. Two of the books that I copied recipe ideas from
>were from the "Germany" and the "Israel" Time/Life Cook books. The recipes
>used were "Rotkohl mit Apfeln (Red Cabbage and Apples)" and "Salat Znonit
>Beshamenet (Radish & Red Onion Salad)".

There was a Germany book, but not an Israel one.

And no, they weren't published until the later 1960's. There was big
hullabaloo about the first volume, written by MFK Fisher, called the
Cooking of Provincial France. And that volume wasn't written until
1968 or some such date. It was a much heralded volume, cause MFK
Fisher was the author. Craig Claiborne went on to blast the first
volume, cause much of it was taken from the works of Julia Child and
Richard Olney...and I think he felt it was amateurish, from what I
have read. My understanding, is that the recipes are straight from
Julia Child.

I think you may be thinking of some other series... And I will stand
by my recollections and everything I have read about it, that it
wasn't published until the late 1960s. There never was an earlier
series.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I beg to differ. They may not have become 'popular' until the 60s but they
>*were* printed before. I found several of them dated 1944 in the O'Fallon,
>Illinois Public Library. Two of the books that I copied recipe ideas from
>were from the "Germany" and the "Israel" Time/Life Cook books. The recipes
>used were "Rotkohl mit Apfeln (Red Cabbage and Apples)" and "Salat Znonit
>Beshamenet (Radish & Red Onion Salad)".

Here is more on the series, plus the Good Cook series, which was
edited by Richard Olney:

http://gremolata.com/timelifecookbooks.htm

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> And no, they weren't published until the later 1960's.

From the site http://www.timelife.com/about/about.jsp?sectionId=698
<begin quote>
Founded in 1961 as the book division of Time Inc., Time-Life took its name
from Time Inc.'s cornerstone magazines, Time and Life, but remained
independent of both. By 1966, Time-Life combined its book offerings with
music collections (two to five records) and packaged them as a sturdy box
set. <end quote>

So, the Time-Life book series concept wasn't in existence until 1961. It is
very likely that Christine's recollections are correct.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bugg View Post
Christine Dabney wrote:

And no, they weren't published until the later 1960's.

From the site Welcome to TimeLife.com | Homepage
begin quote
Founded in 1961 as the book division of Time Inc., Time-Life took its name
from Time Inc.'s cornerstone magazines, Time and Life, but remained
independent of both. By 1966, Time-Life combined its book offerings with
music collections (two to five records) and packaged them as a sturdy box
set. end quote

So, the Time-Life book series concept wasn't in existence until 1961. It is
very likely that Christine's recollections are correct.

--
Dave
davebbq.com
First time I am posting so forgive me if I do this wrong. I was searching for a recipe that I made back in the 80's. It was from the Time Life cookbook - German food - a recipe for red cabbage -I remember there was red currant jelly as part of the recipe (or some similar jelly) anyway, I am looking for the recipe. Any suggestions? Anyone happen to have it? In searching for the recipe I found this great site...and this great thread on the Time Life books.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Dabney View Post
Heya folks,

A bunch of us in chat tonight got to talking about the Time-Life
series, The Foods of The World. Seems like most of us, at least in
chat, have a few volumes of that series.

We were talking about how it was some of our first gourmet cooking,
and about some of the dishes that were pictured there...

How many of you have some or all of these volumes? Did you do any
cooking from them? Are the pages soiled with your drooling over some
of the dishes pictured in those books? Any favorite dishes from this
series?

Some of my volumes are heavily stained. I have the whole series..and
I know I cooked a lot from the earlier volumes.

I was googling for this series online, and realized that there were
some noted food writers that T-L enlisted to write them...like MFK
Fisher, Waverly Root, Joseph Wechsberg, James Beard, Craig
Claiborne...and probably a lot more that I can't remember. My own
series will be out of storage come this next week, and I can't wait to
rediscover it.. Maybe even do some cooking from them...

What are your experiences with this landmark series?

Christine
I haven't tried these yet. It makes me want to try them hearing more and reading all these posts.