Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Matcha: can I just grind green tea instead?

I have recently coma across some exciting recipes that use matcha, a
powdered form of green tea from Japan. Clotilde of www.chocolateandzucchine
..com baked langues de chat with it, a Dutch cookbook uses it in a risotto.

Today, I found matcha in a store but it was very expernsive and had a shelf
life of only 3 months (left). So now I wonder - could I just
pestle-and-mortar green tea leaves instead? Has anyone here tried that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message

> I have recently coma across some exciting recipes
> that use matcha, a powdered form of green tea from
> Japan. Clotilde of www.chocolateandzucchine.com
> baked langues de chat with it, a Dutch cookbook
> uses it in a risotto.
>
> Today, I found matcha in a store but it was very
> expernsive and had a shelf life of only 3 months
> (left). So now I wonder - could I just pestle-and-
> mortar green tea leaves instead? Has anyone here
> tried that?

You could try, but I don't think you'll get quite the same flavor.

The folks at rec.food.drink.tea may be better equipped to answer your
question -- the group's got quite a number of knowledgeable people (or at
least it did when I lurked there).
-j
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"jacqui{JB}" > schreef in bericht
. dk...
> "Jke" > wrote in message
>
>> I have recently coma across some exciting recipes
>> that use matcha, a powdered form of green tea from
>> Japan. Clotilde of www.chocolateandzucchine.com
>> baked langues de chat with it, a Dutch cookbook
>> uses it in a risotto.
>>
>> Today, I found matcha in a store but it was very
>> expernsive and had a shelf life of only 3 months
>> (left). So now I wonder - could I just pestle-and-
>> mortar green tea leaves instead? Has anyone here
>> tried that?

> You could try, but I don't think you'll get quite the same flavor.
>
> The folks at rec.food.drink.tea may be better equipped to answer your
> question -- the group's got quite a number of knowledgeable people (or at
> least it did when I lurked there).
> -j
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matcha

Thank yo for the reply and think, Jacqui. Too bad I can't subsitute it, but
it's better to be warned than sorry

Matcha Japanese Green Tea Powder Alan4001 Tea 2 26-11-2014 05:55 PM
Matcha tea JD[_5_] Tea 7 19-04-2010 09:27 PM
Matcha in the US? Keflavich Tea 18 16-07-2007 07:45 PM
Matcha and green tea Space Cowboy Tea 10 03-09-2004 04:41 PM
QUESTION ABOUT INFUSING JAPANESE MATCHA GREEN TEA Raicu Tea 3 05-11-2003 02:48 PM