Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steelhead for supper!!!

My son left me a lovely surprise in the sink, a foot and 1/2 long
beautiful fish with a note "the one that didnt get away...enjoy the
steelhead mom!" I would be eager know any special hints before I
prepare this gift. My son has taken off on another outdoor quest so I
cant get ahold of him for awhile. Thankyou!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

damamasan wrote:

> My son left me a lovely surprise in the sink, a foot and 1/2 long
> beautiful fish with a note "the one that didnt get away...enjoy the
> steelhead mom!" I would be eager know any special hints before I
> prepare this gift. My son has taken off on another outdoor quest so I
> cant get ahold of him for awhile. Thankyou!

That is a PRINCELY gift! When I get whole fish that fresh, I like to cook
them whole. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Gut and scale the fish, remove the
fins, but leave the head on. Put a bunch of lemon juice, lemon slices, onion
slices, and fennel fronds into the fish's body cavity. Also season the
interior with salt and pepper, then press to close the cavity again. Rub the
outside of the fish with canola oil, put into a roasting pan on a rack, and
roast for about 20 minutes.

Similarly, you can prepare the fish as described above, but grill it whole.
It's very tricky to turn over a fish that size, though, you'd need at least
a couple wide spatulas and maybe a helper with a third or fourth spatula!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would use Bob's recipe too. Today I'd use the Weber grill out on my
backyard patio.

It's going to be 106 in Sacramento today. There is no way, I'm turning
on an oven;-(

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

damamasan wrote:
> My son left me a lovely surprise in the sink, a foot and 1/2 long
> beautiful fish with a note "the one that didnt get away...enjoy the
> steelhead mom!" I would be eager know any special hints before I
> prepare this gift.

It may not be much of a gift if it's been out of the water uniced and
uncleaned for hours. I suggest you clean and cook it immediately...
whack off the head n' tail, slice in half (may need to halve the two
halves to fit your pan), season with a little s n' p, and fry in
butter.... seasoning fresh trout (or any fresh fish) less is more.

Sheldon