Old 16-07-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Signature Dishes

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into
a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large
saucepan. Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

Cuisine:
"American - Midwest"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 276 Calories; 10g Fat (35.3%
calories from fat); 42g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
110mg Cholesterol; 642mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Old 16-07-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

recipe snipped

The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
cheesesteak!

Andy
Old 16-07-2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:37:50 -0500, Andy q wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

recipe snipped

The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
cheesesteak!

Don't hesitate, Andy. Make it today, eat it tomorrow. I promise you
won't regret it.

You guys are all gonna be so proud of me! Once, when I made this, I
used two tablespoons of crushed red peppers instead of 2 teaspoons.
OOPS! I ate it anyway. Lived to tell about it, even.

Carol
Old 16-07-2006, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" q ha scritto nel messaggio
Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

recipe snipped

The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
cheesesteak!

Andy

"Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it !!!

--
Cheers
Pandora

Old 16-07-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:55:38 +0200, "Pandora"
wrote:

"Andy" q ha scritto nel messaggio
Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

recipe snipped

The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
cheesesteak!

"Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it !!!

It's a sandwich created and made famous in Chicago, Illinois. Try
making this sometime. It's like a spicy French Dip sandwich (which
probably has no history in France, either).

I'm considering making this for my cook-in in September. We'd use
smaller rolls in that case, though.

Carol

Old 16-07-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

messaggio news
wrote:

[...]

If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?
BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

I'm considering making this for my cook-in in September. We'd use
smaller rolls in that case, though.

Carol

I hope to try it before september
Thank you for explanation, Carol.

--
Cheers
Pandora

Old 16-07-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

(Particulars snipped)

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

(rest of recipe snipped)

Not wishing to impugn your integrity here, Dams, but have you actually
made this with a 5# roast? Five hours doesn't sound like it would get
the job done to tender. Even at high power. It sounds tasty, by the
by.

--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Old 16-07-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:11:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

(Particulars snipped)

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

(rest of recipe snipped)

Not wishing to impugn your integrity here, Dams, but have you actually
made this with a 5# roast? Five hours doesn't sound like it would get
the job done to tender. Even at high power. It sounds tasty, by the
by.

Yeah, I have. I have a large crockpot. Crash is the Tim Allen of
kitchen appliances. And computers.

You want it tender, but not fall-apart tender, if that makes any
sense. You want to be able to slice it almost paper-thin after
chilling it overnight, so it can't be* too* tender. The thin slicing
makes it easier to eat, too.

Last time I looked for a roast to make this recipe with, they only had
smaller ones, and I would have needed two. And I didn't have $19 to
squander at the time. I'm hoping to find a good sale.

It's really yummy. I use round because I like very lean meat for
sandwiches, and I like large slices. Chuck would work okay, too.
That's what Ariane Jenkins uses.

Carol
Old 16-07-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:10:31 +0200, "Pandora"
wrote:

If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
*anything* Italian. LOL!

BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
free now!)

Old 16-07-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

Don't hesitate, Andy. Make it today, eat it tomorrow. I promise you
won't regret it.

You guys are all gonna be so proud of me! Once, when I made this, I
used two tablespoons of crushed red peppers instead of 2 teaspoons.
OOPS! I ate it anyway. Lived to tell about it, even.

Carol

Carol,

It'll have to wait. Beef is not on my diet for the last 25 pounds,
dammit!

Andy

Old 16-07-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:50:43 -0500, Andy q wrote:

It'll have to wait. Beef is not on my diet for the last 25 pounds,
dammit!

Just out of curiosity, what diet are you on? Beef's good for ya! Puts
hair on your chest! G

Carol
Old 16-07-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
*anything* Italian. LOL!

Ohhh! I understand

BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see
it.

(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
free now!)

No. I haven't received any email from you. Do you want to call me? Have you
got Skype?But you must speak slowly because I Am gooder with written english

I wait for your mail, then!
And thank you for this recipe.
Only a question:
If I had not a crockpot, could I use a pressure pot?
And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
thank you
Pandora

Old 16-07-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
:

Just out of curiosity, what diet are you on? Beef's good for ya! Puts
hair on your chest! G

Carol

Carol,

Low sodium, low sugar, low cholesterol, low sat. fat. diet of my own
design. Since September 2005 I've lost 50 lbs., giving up almost all my
favorite foods in the process. My goal is 200 lbs. But I'll have to
revise that to 195 so I can try your recipe!

I've become quite an expert on reading nutritional labels and ingredients
lists. *sigh*

Andy
Old 16-07-2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
*anything* Italian. LOL!

BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
free now!)

snip

And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
free!

Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...

TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)
Old 16-07-2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:11:09 +0200, "Pandora"
wrote:

And thank you for this recipe.
Only a question:
If I had not a crockpot, could I use a pressure pot?

I'm not experienced with pressure cookers, so maybe someone else can
answer this. Would the meat be seasoned well enough using this
method?

And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
thank you

Crusty rolls are what are probably normal rolls for you. They're
crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. In the US, most
people seem to prefer soft rolls and breads. It's the foodies who go
for the crisp outsides of bread products.

Carol