FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/96414-rec-italian-beef-sandwiches.html)

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 06:18 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Recipe By :Carol Peterson (Damsel)
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Signature Dishes

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed
1 1/2 cups water
7 cloves garlic -- crushed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into
a storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large
saucepan. Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated
through.

Serve meat slices, piled high on crusty rolls, with heated broth for
dipping.

Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

Cuisine:
"American - Midwest"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 276 Calories; 10g Fat (35.3%
calories from fat); 42g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
110mg Cholesterol; 642mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 06:37 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
> overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
> low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

<recipe snipped>

The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
cheesesteak!

Andy

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 06:42 PM

:

>> This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
>> overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
>> low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

><recipe snipped>
>
>The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
>in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
>Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
>Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
>cheesesteak!

Don't hesitate, Andy. Make it today, eat it tomorrow. I promise you
won't regret it.

You guys are all gonna be so proud of me! Once, when I made this, I
used two tablespoons of crushed red peppers instead of 2 teaspoons.
OOPS! I ate it anyway. Lived to tell about it, even.

Carol

Pandora 16-07-2006 06:55 PM

"Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> :
>
>> This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
>> overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
>> low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

> <recipe snipped>
>

> The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
> in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
> Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
> Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
> cheesesteak!
>
> Andy

"Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it :D !!!

--
Cheers
Pandora

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 07:02 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:55:38 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
>>> overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
>>> low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

>> <recipe snipped>
>>
>> The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
>> in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
>> Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
>> Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
>> cheesesteak!

>"Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it :D !!!

It's a sandwich created and made famous in Chicago, Illinois. Try
making this sometime. It's like a spicy French Dip sandwich (which
probably has no history in France, either).

I'm considering making this for my cook-in in September. We'd use
smaller rolls in that case, though.

Carol

Pandora 16-07-2006 07:10 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:55:38 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
>>> :

>>> <recipe snipped>
>>>
>>> The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats
>>> and
>>> in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
>>> Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
>>> Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
>>> cheesesteak!

>>"Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it :D !!!

> It's a sandwich created and made famous in Chicago, Illinois. Try
> making this sometime. It's like a spicy French Dip sandwich (which
> probably has no history in France, either).

If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?
BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

> I'm considering making this for my cook-in in September. We'd use
> smaller rolls in that case, though.
>
> Carol

I hope to try it before september :)
Thank you for explanation, Carol.

--
Cheers
Pandora

Melba's Jammin'[_1_] 16-07-2006 07:11 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Italian Beef Sandwiches

(Particulars snipped)

> Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
> in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
> well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

(rest of recipe snipped)

Not wishing to impugn your integrity here, Dams, but have you actually
made this with a 5# roast? Five hours doesn't sound like it would get
the job done to tender. Even at high power. It sounds tasty, by the
by.

--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 07:21 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:11:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Italian Beef Sandwiches

>(Particulars snipped)
>
>> Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast
>> in large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir
>> well. Pour over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

>(rest of recipe snipped)
>
>Not wishing to impugn your integrity here, Dams, but have you actually
>made this with a 5# roast? Five hours doesn't sound like it would get
>the job done to tender. Even at high power. It sounds tasty, by the
>by.

Yeah, I have. I have a large crockpot. Crash is the Tim Allen of
kitchen appliances. And computers.

You want it tender, but not fall-apart tender, if that makes any
sense. You want to be able to slice it almost paper-thin after
chilling it overnight, so it can't be* too* tender. The thin slicing
makes it easier to eat, too.

Last time I looked for a roast to make this recipe with, they only had
smaller ones, and I would have needed two. And I didn't have $19 to
squander at the time. I'm hoping to find a good sale.

It's really yummy. I use round because I like very lean meat for
sandwiches, and I like large slices. Chuck would work okay, too.
That's what Ariane Jenkins uses.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 07:23 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:10:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
*anything* Italian. LOL!

>BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
free now!)

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 07:50 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Don't hesitate, Andy. Make it today, eat it tomorrow. I promise you
> won't regret it.
>
> You guys are all gonna be so proud of me! Once, when I made this, I
> used two tablespoons of crushed red peppers instead of 2 teaspoons.
> OOPS! I ate it anyway. Lived to tell about it, even.
>
> Carol

Carol,

It'll have to wait. Beef is not on my diet for the last 25 pounds,
dammit!

Andy

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 08:04 PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:50:43 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>It'll have to wait. Beef is not on my diet for the last 25 pounds,
>dammit!

Just out of curiosity, what diet are you on? Beef's good for ya! Puts
hair on your chest! <G>

Carol

Pandora 16-07-2006 08:11 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:10:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

> Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
> *anything* Italian. LOL!

Ohhh! I understand :D

>>BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see
>>it.

> (Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
> free now!)

No. I haven't received any email from you. Do you want to call me? Have you
got Skype?But you must speak slowly because I Am gooder with written english
:D
I wait for your mail, then!
And thank you for this recipe.
Only a question:
If I had not a crockpot, could I use a pressure pot?
And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
thank you
Pandora

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 08:17 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Just out of curiosity, what diet are you on? Beef's good for ya! Puts
> hair on your chest! <G>
>
> Carol

Carol,

Low sodium, low sugar, low cholesterol, low sat. fat. diet of my own
design. Since September 2005 I've lost 50 lbs., giving up almost all my
favorite foods in the process. My goal is 200 lbs. But I'll have to
revise that to 195 so I can try your recipe! ;)

I've become quite an expert on reading nutritional labels and ingredients
lists. *sigh*

Andy

TammyM[_1_] 16-07-2006 08:21 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:10:31 +0200, "Pandora" >
>wrote:
>
>>If it was created in Chicago, why they call it "italian..."?

>Because it has garlic, oregano, and basil in it! That makes
>*anything* Italian. LOL!
>
>>BTW Now I Am curiosus. I must try! But where is the recipe? I don't see it.

>(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
>free now!)

<snip>

And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
free!

Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...

TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 08:56 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:11:09 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>And thank you for this recipe.
>Only a question:
>If I had not a crockpot, could I use a pressure pot?

I'm not experienced with pressure cookers, so maybe someone else can
answer this. Would the meat be seasoned well enough using this
method?

>And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
>thank you

Crusty rolls are what are probably normal rolls for you. They're
crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. In the US, most
people seem to prefer soft rolls and breads. It's the foodies who go
for the crisp outsides of bread products.

Carol

Mr Libido Incognito 16-07-2006 09:02 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Pandora wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?

A bread bun with a decent crust...a chewy crust.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 09:28 PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:17:45 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Low sodium, low sugar, low cholesterol, low sat. fat. diet of my own
>design. Since September 2005 I've lost 50 lbs., giving up almost all my
>favorite foods in the process. My goal is 200 lbs. But I'll have to
>revise that to 195 so I can try your recipe! ;)
>
>I've become quite an expert on reading nutritional labels and ingredients
>lists. *sigh*

Congratulations! 50 pounds! I have 62 to go, myself. It's nice
looking down and seeing things like toes!

Feel free to ignore the following.

Round roast is extremely lean. The visible fat is trimmed before
cooking. After being cooked in liquid, most remaining fat will be in
said liquid. The roast and liquid are refrigerated separately
overnight. The fat can easily be lifted off the liquid before
serving.

Carol

Pandora 16-07-2006 09:28 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:11:09 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>And thank you for this recipe.
>>Only a question:
>>If I had not a crockpot, could I use a pressure pot?

> I'm not experienced with pressure cookers, so maybe someone else can
> answer this. Would the meat be seasoned well enough using this
> method?

Yes! Perhaps more than with other cooking methods. Because all the juice and
vitamins of meat don't evaporate.

>>And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
>>thank you

> Crusty rolls are what are probably normal rolls for you. They're
> crunchy on the outside and softer on the inside. In the US, most
> people seem to prefer soft rolls and breads. It's the foodies who go
> for the crisp outsides of bread products.
>
> Carol

I understand. Thank you Carol, you are always very kind:)

--
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora 16-07-2006 09:32 PM

"Mr Libido Incognito" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?
>>

> A bread bun with a decent crust...a chewy crust.

Chewy or crispy?
Pandora

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 09:38 PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:20 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
>>free now!)

>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>free!
>
>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>
>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

Do you have cable internet and/or TV? I use Vonage (
www.vonage.com),
and get free, unlimited long distance in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico,
Spain, Italy, France, Ireland, and the UK. I can't call someone's
cell phone, but I can call their land line in those places. All of
this only costs $24.99 per month.

Please, please, please, let me send you a referral. If anyone who I
refer signs up, I get two free months' worth of phone service. Fifty
bucks is fifty bucks!

Carol

TammyM[_1_] 16-07-2006 09:46 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:38:22 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:20 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>>(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
>>>free now!)

>>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>>free!
>>
>>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>>
>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

>Do you have cable internet and/or TV? I use Vonage (
www.vonage.com),
>and get free, unlimited long distance in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico,
>Spain, Italy, France, Ireland, and the UK. I can't call someone's
>cell phone, but I can call their land line in those places. All of
>this only costs $24.99 per month.
>
>Please, please, please, let me send you a referral. If anyone who I
>refer signs up, I get two free months' worth of phone service. Fifty
>bucks is fifty bucks!

Sure, Dams, send it. I'm not sure I'll sign up, but if I do, you'll
get that referral! But just to point out the obvious, it ain't free
if it's $24.99/month!! :-) Still, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

TammyM

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 09:48 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:32:06 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Mr Libido Incognito" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Pandora wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> And another question: what are crusty rolls? Slices of bread like toast?

>> A bread bun with a decent crust...a chewy crust.

>Chewy or crispy?

Crispy. The kind that usually crumble all over the table and your
shirt when you bite into them. You dip the sandwich into the gravy
before taking a bit, and it won't crumble.

Carol

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 09:53 PM

(TammyM) wrote:

>>>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>>>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>>>free!
>>>
>>>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>>>
>>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

>>Do you have cable internet and/or TV? I use Vonage (
www.vonage.com),
>>and get free, unlimited long distance in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico,
>>Spain, Italy, France, Ireland, and the UK. I can't call someone's
>>cell phone, but I can call their land line in those places. All of
>>this only costs $24.99 per month.
>>
>>Please, please, please, let me send you a referral. If anyone who I
>>refer signs up, I get two free months' worth of phone service. Fifty
>>bucks is fifty bucks!

>Sure, Dams, send it. I'm not sure I'll sign up, but if I do, you'll
>get that referral! But just to point out the obvious, it ain't free
>if it's $24.99/month!! :-) Still, it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Okay, it's not free. <G> But it comes at no additional charge. You
can talk to Pandora all month, non-stop, and it'll still be $24.99.

Carol

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 10:00 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Congratulations! 50 pounds! I have 62 to go, myself. It's nice
> looking down and seeing things like toes!

Carol,

Thanks, and agreed. Although the reducing part is no where near as much
fun as the gaining part was. That's what I got for buying a kitchen-aid
mixer, crock-pot, deep-fryer, convection toaster oven, george foreman
grilling machine (gift) and the allrecipes.com website.

I can't break the no-beef rule, so I ignored your sound reasoning, for
now.

All the best,

Andy

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 10:05 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:20 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>>(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
>>>free now!)

>>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>>free!
>>
>>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>>
>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

> Do you have cable internet and/or TV? I use Vonage (
www.vonage.com),
> and get free, unlimited long distance in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico,
> Spain, Italy, France, Ireland, and the UK. I can't call someone's
> cell phone, but I can call their land line in those places. All of
> this only costs $24.99 per month.
>
> Please, please, please, let me send you a referral. If anyone who I
> refer signs up, I get two free months' worth of phone service. Fifty
> bucks is fifty bucks!
>
> Carol

I got a notice from Brinks Security about Vonage, that it cripples the
security system's ability to dial out an alarm to them. I forget the
details.

Andy

Pandora 16-07-2006 10:20 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:20 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>>(Did you get my e-mail about talking on the phone? I can call Italy
>>>free now!)

>>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>>free!
>>
>>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>>
>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

WOW! "LOVE" is a BIG word :D

> Do you have cable internet and/or TV? I use Vonage (
www.vonage.com),
> and get free, unlimited long distance in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico,
> Spain, Italy, France, Ireland, and the UK. I can't call someone's
> cell phone, but I can call their land line in those places. All of
> this only costs $24.99 per month.
>
> Please, please, please, let me send you a referral. If anyone who I
> refer signs up, I get two free months' worth of phone service. Fifty
> bucks is fifty bucks!
>
> Carol

Sorry, I have Skype and it costs $ 0 per month. It is more free :D

--
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora 16-07-2006 10:21 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:32:06 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Mr Libido Incognito" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
>>> Pandora wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

>>> A bread bun with a decent crust...a chewy crust.

>>Chewy or crispy?

> Crispy. The kind that usually crumble all over the table and your
> shirt when you bite into them. You dip the sandwich into the gravy
> before taking a bit, and it won't crumble.
>
> Carol

Mhhhhhh! I like crispy bread, GNAM GNAM!
Pandora

Pandora 16-07-2006 10:25 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:01 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

[CUT]
> Okay, it's not free. <G> But it comes at no additional charge. You
> can talk to Pandora all month, non-stop, and it'll still be $24.99.
>
> Carol

All month, non stop? Wonderful! I will learn american slang :D
Pandy

TammyM[_1_] 16-07-2006 10:44 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:25:14 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
>messaggio ...
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:01 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>[CUT]
>> Okay, it's not free. <G> But it comes at no additional charge. You
>> can talk to Pandora all month, non-stop, and it'll still be $24.99.
>>
>> Carol

>All month, non stop? Wonderful! I will learn american slang :D
>Pandy

And I can learn Italian slang :-) I already know most of the "bad"
Spanish, French and German words :-)

TammyM,

TammyM[_1_] 16-07-2006 10:46 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:20:36 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

>WOW! "LOVE" is a BIG word :D

Americans are BIG on overstatement. We're rarely cold, we're
"freezing to death". Not hot but "burning up". We're rarely fond of
things, but we often "love them to death" :-)))))

>Sorry, I have Skype and it costs $ 0 per month. It is more free :D

More free is good :-)))))

TammyM

Andy[_2_] 16-07-2006 11:22 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:46:27 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:20:36 +0200, "Pandora" >
>>wrote:

>>>Sorry, I have Skype and it costs $ 0 per month. It is more free :D

>>More free is good :-)))))
>>
>>TammyM

> I have skype too...... ;)
>
> Christine

Back before broadband, in the 1990s, my brother and I used ICU2, realtime
video, audio and text IM on peer-to-peer software. We'd talk and toast
beers at the camera all the time, for free, except the cost of the
shareware. It was skittish/skip-frame video over ISDN lines.

Skype is the best solution. Free software, free contact around most of
the planet. Must have headset/microphone gear to omit feedback echo.

Andy

Christine Dabney 16-07-2006 11:55 PM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:46:27 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:20:36 +0200, "Pandora" >
>wrote:

>>Sorry, I have Skype and it costs $ 0 per month. It is more free :D

>More free is good :-)))))
>
>TammyM

I have skype too...... ;)

Christine

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 16-07-2006 11:55 PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:22:53 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Skype is the best solution. Free software, free contact around most of
>the planet. Must have headset/microphone gear to omit feedback echo.

I've talked through Yahoo this way. I just prefer to use my actual
telephone, but no one wants me to call them.

Carol

Andy[_2_] 17-07-2006 12:03 AM

REC - Italian Beef Sandwiches (crockpot recipe)

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:22:53 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Skype is the best solution. Free software, free contact around most of
>>the planet. Must have headset/microphone gear to omit feedback echo.

> I've talked through Yahoo this way. I just prefer to use my actual
> telephone, but no one wants me to call them.
>
> Carol

Carol,

LOL! Folk are obviously too busy typing into usenet subjects to answer
the "g...dam. phone! :D

Andy

Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] 17-07-2006 12:43 AM

:

>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:22:53 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>>Skype is the best solution. Free software, free contact around most of
>>>the planet. Must have headset/microphone gear to omit feedback echo.

>> I've talked through Yahoo this way. I just prefer to use my actual
>> telephone, but no one wants me to call them.

>LOL! Folk are obviously too busy typing into usenet subjects to answer
>the "g...dam. phone! :D

ROFLMAO! I think you've nailed that one right on the head!

Carol

Lisa Ann 17-07-2006 01:15 AM

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> :
>
>> Congratulations! 50 pounds! I have 62 to go, myself. It's nice
>> looking down and seeing things like toes!

> Carol,
>
> Thanks, and agreed. Although the reducing part is no where near as much
> fun as the gaining part was. That's what I got for buying a kitchen-aid
> mixer, crock-pot, deep-fryer, convection toaster oven, george foreman
> grilling machine (gift) and the allrecipes.com website.
>
> I can't break the no-beef rule, so I ignored your sound reasoning, for
> now.

I'm not trying to be difficult (just curious), but are you worried that
breaking the no-beef rule would set off cravings? That's how I've become
with carbs*...just the teensiest taste of, say, a cracker...and I
immediately want a huge plate of pasta smothered in marinara! If that's the
case, I commend you on your "don't break the no-beef rule!"

*I had to go off the low-carb diet about a month ago. I've got something
going on with my liver (we don't know what yet, I get the results of the CT
and extra blood tests tomorrow), and it took my appetite with it. Then it
became a matter of "If I can get it down, I'll eat it. The hell with carbs
or fat or whatever." As it is, I'm averaging about 750 calories a day. I
wanted to lose weight, but not this much! LOL.

Congratulations on the weight loss, Andy. And kids, please don't try my
method at home!

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann 17-07-2006 01:17 AM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> This is a two-day recipe. Cook the beef the first day, refrigerate it
>>> overnight, then cut into very thin slices for serving. For
>>> low-carbing, this stuff is just great, even without the bun.

>> <recipe snipped>
>>

>> The Food TV show "The best of..." did a whole show about Chicago eats and
>> in one segment they showcased "Mr. Beef" where they make the famous
>> Italian roast beef sandwich. It sure looked like a fun mess o' food!!!
>> Someday I'll have to try one. See how it holds up to a Philly
>> cheesesteak!
>>
>> Andy

> "Famous Italian roast beef sandwich"? I have never seen it :D !!!

LOL - because it's only famous in the US, Pandora! Specifically in Chicago.
As Damsel says, it's absolutely heaven done right, and I can't wait to try
her recipe!

I guess it would be more correct to call it "Italian-American Roast Beef",
but if you've ever met Italians from Chicago...well, they tend to whisper
the "American" part. ;)

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann 17-07-2006 01:21 AM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
> messaggio ...
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:46:01 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

> [CUT]
>> Okay, it's not free. <G> But it comes at no additional charge. You
>> can talk to Pandora all month, non-stop, and it'll still be $24.99.
>>
>> Carol

> All month, non stop? Wonderful! I will learn american slang :D
> Pandy

In that case, we'd better take turns calling you, Pandora. Carole and Barb
can teach you Minnesota Nice slang. I can teach you Indianapolis
South-sider slang. Jill can teach you West Tennessee slang...and...well,
refer to the map! I would say that Margaret could teach you New Yorker
slang, but she's always struck me as being so genteel and sweet, I daresay
you'd simply learn to be sweeter. ;)

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann 17-07-2006 01:22 AM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel
> messaggio ...
>> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:21:20 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>>>And how can you do that? I use Tracfone International for
>>>international long distance, and while it's very very cheap, it ain't
>>>free!
>>>
>>>Enquiring minds, Dams, enquiring minds...
>>>
>>>TammyM (who'd dearly LOVE to talk to Pandora!!)

> WOW! "LOVE" is a BIG word :D

Nope, according to Bob Dylan, "Love" is just a four-letter word. ;)

It's just the feeling is big.

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann 17-07-2006 01:23 AM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 17:22:53 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Skype is the best solution. Free software, free contact around most of
>>the planet. Must have headset/microphone gear to omit feedback echo.

> I've talked through Yahoo this way. I just prefer to use my actual
> telephone, but no one wants me to call them.
>
> Carol

LOL - is that a hint? check your email, sweetie!

Lisa Ann