Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Did I throw away something good?

Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as always.

But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down the
drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw turkey in
it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...

> Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
> low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as always.
>
> But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down the
> drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw turkey in
> it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.
>
> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

A brine in which raw meat was kept for a period of time is reason enough why
I would not keep or use it again. Brine is cheap to make. Why take the
risk?

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've never had success with saving brine. I froze some once and boiled it to
be safe to use, but it had an odd flavor and I made up fresh brine.

"isw" > wrote in message
> Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
> low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as always.
>
> But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down the
> drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw turkey in
> it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.
>
> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?
>
> Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...
>
>> Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
>> low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as
>> always.
>>
>> But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down
>> the drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw
>> turkey in it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at
>> all.
>>
>> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

> A brine in which raw meat was kept for a period of time is reason
> enough why I would not keep or use it again. Brine is cheap to make.
> Why take the risk?

Exactly my thoughts, Wayne. Who knows what "ickies" - that's a technical
term the brine contained from soaking the raw meat? I'd toss the brine
mixture (or any other meat marinade) for sure.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...

>>> But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down
>>> the drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw
>>> turkey in it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

No, it does get "used up" from the process of osmosis. Plus, it picked up
contaminants from the turkey. If saving 15¢ is so important to you, buy a
smaller piece of meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
>Exactly my thoughts, Wayne. Who knows what "ickies" - that's a technical
>term the brine contained from soaking the raw meat?

If the brine picks 'em up - then they were in the meat in the first
place. Thus, if the meat is safe to heat and eat, then so it the
brine. (Not that you'd want to.)

>I'd toss the brine mixture (or any other meat marinade) for sure.

I routinely use marinades as sauces. (After heating o' course.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
isw > wrote:

> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?
>
> Isaac

No.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> isw > wrote:
>
> > Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?
> >
> > Isaac

> No.

Well you could irradiate it...but that kinda equipment is expensive and
dangerous.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

No need to, if you can find rock salt on sale...

~R~