Old 16-07-2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Did I throw away something good?

Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as always.

But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down the
drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw turkey in
it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

Isaac

Old 16-07-2006, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...

Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as always.

But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down the
drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw turkey in
it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

A brine in which raw meat was kept for a period of time is reason enough why
I would not keep or use it again. Brine is cheap to make. Why take the
risk?

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Old 16-07-2006, 10:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...

Brined a turkey breast overnight and cooked it today -- closed grill,
low heat, chips in the smoker thing -- and it was just as good as
always.

But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down
the drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw
turkey in it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at
all.

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

A brine in which raw meat was kept for a period of time is reason
enough why I would not keep or use it again. Brine is cheap to make.
Why take the risk?

Exactly my thoughts, Wayne. Who knows what "ickies" - that's a technical
term the brine contained from soaking the raw meat? I'd toss the brine
mixture (or any other meat marinade) for sure.

Jill

Old 16-07-2006, 01:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 08:51:51p, isw meant to say...

But as I was cleaning up, and pouring about a gallon of brine down
the drain, it suddenly struck me that -- other than having had raw
turkey in it for a while -- there wasn't anything wrong with it at
all.

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

No, it does get "used up" from the process of osmosis. Plus, it picked up
contaminants from the turkey. If saving 15 is so important to you, buy a
smaller piece of meat.

Old 16-07-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:
Exactly my thoughts, Wayne. Who knows what "ickies" - that's a technical
term the brine contained from soaking the raw meat?

If the brine picks 'em up - then they were in the meat in the first
place. Thus, if the meat is safe to heat and eat, then so it the
brine. (Not that you'd want to.)

I'd toss the brine mixture (or any other meat marinade) for sure.

I routinely use marinades as sauces. (After heating o' course.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old 16-07-2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
isw wrote:

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

Isaac

No.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Old 16-07-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Jul 2006 in rec.food.cooking

In article ,
isw wrote:

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

Isaac

No.

Well you could irradiate it...but that kinda equipment is expensive and
dangerous.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Old 20-07-2006, 06:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Is there some reasonable way to reuse a brine mixture?

No need to, if you can find rock salt on sale...

~R~