Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunch as a social event

People talk a lot about dinner as a family time (or even breakfast)
but I don't recall much attention being paid to the significance of
lunch other than what to eat. I hear that many people (in the US, so
they say) eat lunch at their desks or stations by choice or necessity,
or run errands. But although lunch is generally an hour, some of us
make good use of it to get together with coworkers.

When I was a student, lunch was a big deal. A bunch of us (in the
same field) and sometimes faculty would get together at a table at the
end of the hall. It was such a big thing that some days I'd go in for
lunch even if I had no particular reason to be on campus.

I've worked at a company and a loose group of people would go to the
cafeteria for lunch, depending on who was available each day. Other
times it was possible for a couple of us to go out shopping.

When I first started working at my current employer, I did lunch alone
for a few years. However we currently have a group of people who eat
lunch together, again, depending on who is available. One of the
group is the unofficial "co-ordinator." If one of us is interested in
doing lunch that day, we just call him to confirm when and where lunch
is. Sometimes we go to the cafeteria, other times we order in,
sometimes we go out, sometimes I buy, sometimes I bring my own.

Let's do lunch

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

> I've worked at a company and a loose group of people would go to the
> cafeteria for lunch, depending on who was available each day.

> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Fond memories coming back, Sue. I worked in a relatively small research
lab for a number of years. Not much in the way of restaurants nearby
but we had a cafeteria, presided over by Mabel Wong. If you asked her
how something "was," she'd say,"I don't know; I don't eat here."

The caf had small tables for four, bigger ones for six, and the long
table right down the middle, made of four big ones, I think. On any
given day there might be any combination of the resident Grand Fromage
of the place, some scientists, some technicians, a couple maintenance
guys, a couple administrative types (bean counters and finance types), a
marketeer or two, and a couple secretaries. The scientists were some of
the best in the business and the lunchtime conversations were wonderful.
Movies, current events, kids, fishing, music, books, hunting; not much
religion or politics were argued there.

When the building closed and the group went to two different buildings,
two different divisions, things just weren't the same in those places.
The invisible boundary lines were in place and the twain didn't meet. A
damn shame it was, too.

Thanks for reminding me of The Good Old Days ‹ Honeywell's not like that
anymore.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-10-06, Rob's Birthday Lunch
Posted to rec.food.cooking
JL JL is offline

Curly Sue wrote:
> People talk a lot about dinner as a family time (or even breakfast)
> but I don't recall much attention being paid to the significance of
> lunch other than what to eat. I hear that many people (in the US, so
> they say) eat lunch at their desks or stations by choice or necessity,
> or run errands. But although lunch is generally an hour, some of us
> make good use of it to get together with coworkers.
>
> When I was a student, lunch was a big deal. A bunch of us (in the
> same field) and sometimes faculty would get together at a table at the
> end of the hall. It was such a big thing that some days I'd go in for
> lunch even if I had no particular reason to be on campus.
>
> I've worked at a company and a loose group of people would go to the
> cafeteria for lunch, depending on who was available each day. Other
> times it was possible for a couple of us to go out shopping.
>
> When I first started working at my current employer, I did lunch alone
> for a few years. However we currently have a group of people who eat
> lunch together, again, depending on who is available. One of the
> group is the unofficial "co-ordinator." If one of us is interested in
> doing lunch that day, we just call him to confirm when and where lunch
> is. Sometimes we go to the cafeteria, other times we order in,
> sometimes we go out, sometimes I buy, sometimes I bring my own.
>
> Let's do lunch

Among the leisured class "Lunch" used to be very popular "the ladies
who lunch" in a lot of victorian literature you find people attending
what were called 'breakfasts' but were in actuality served during the
noon hour and was a formal lunch.

During the nice weather of summer i used to often have informal lunches
served on the terrace. Espically when i had guests staying in the
house. I prefere to breakfast alone so lunch was often the first
social interactions of the day.

Nowadays, due to a back injury i dont entertain much anymore, though
last July 4th weekend we had a spontainious 'lunch' party that turned
into an all day affair.

Back in the day when i worked full time there would often be 'working'
lunches, and occasionaly a more formal mid day meal to acknowledge some
co workers accomplishments.

Now a days a big breakfast and a nice dinner is all i need, i tend to
skip lunch alltogether. Though to be honest, my breakfast, is usually
eaten when most people are lunching.
---
JL
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 14 Jul 2006 10:50:30a, Curly Sue meant to say...

> People talk a lot about dinner as a family time (or even breakfast)
> but I don't recall much attention being paid to the significance of
> lunch other than what to eat. I hear that many people (in the US, so
> they say) eat lunch at their desks or stations by choice or necessity,
> or run errands. But although lunch is generally an hour, some of us
> make good use of it to get together with coworkers.
>
> When I was a student, lunch was a big deal. A bunch of us (in the
> same field) and sometimes faculty would get together at a table at the
> end of the hall. It was such a big thing that some days I'd go in for
> lunch even if I had no particular reason to be on campus.
>
> I've worked at a company and a loose group of people would go to the
> cafeteria for lunch, depending on who was available each day. Other
> times it was possible for a couple of us to go out shopping.
>
> When I first started working at my current employer, I did lunch alone
> for a few years. However we currently have a group of people who eat
> lunch together, again, depending on who is available. One of the
> group is the unofficial "co-ordinator." If one of us is interested in
> doing lunch that day, we just call him to confirm when and where lunch
> is. Sometimes we go to the cafeteria, other times we order in,
> sometimes we go out, sometimes I buy, sometimes I bring my own.

For many years I worked for a very large company that had a substantial and
rather good employee's cafeteria. Most days I ate with the same group of
6-8 people who had little work related interests, but we gravitated
together for various personal reasons. We never went out to eat together,
but I did go out occasionally with other co-workers and sometimes alone.

The company I now work for is small and in the building I work in there are
probably no more than 100 people. We have a very nice and well-equipped
"break" room, with several commercial microwaves, commercial refrigerator
and freezer, ice maker, and dishwasher. I usually take the makings of my
lunch, prepare it, then eat at my desk. I go out with a few from my
department perhaps once every other week.

Saturday lunches are usually "on the run" amidst shopping and errands. On
Sundays we sometimes gather with a few friends from church at a local
restaurant.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JL wrote:

> Among the leisured class "Lunch" used to be very popular "the ladies
> who lunch" in a lot of victorian literature you find people attending
> what were called 'breakfasts' but were in actuality served during the
> noon hour and was a formal lunch.
>
> During the nice weather of summer i used to often have informal lunches
> served on the terrace. Espically when i had guests staying in the
> house. I prefere to breakfast alone so lunch was often the first
> social interactions of the day.
>
> Nowadays, due to a back injury i dont entertain much anymore, though
> last July 4th weekend we had a spontainious 'lunch' party that turned
> into an all day affair.
>
> Back in the day when i worked full time there would often be 'working'
> lunches, and occasionaly a more formal mid day meal to acknowledge some
> co workers accomplishments.
>
> Now a days a big breakfast and a nice dinner is all i need, i tend to
> skip lunch alltogether. Though to be honest, my breakfast, is usually
> eaten when most people are lunching.

Lunch is the time for business people to be schmoozing over lunch or for
women to go out to socialize. I don't know about where you live, but around
here there are lots of women out for lunch. Lunch is a pretty good deal
compared to dinner. Meal prices are often half the price at lunch than they
are at dinner. Sometimes they are lighter dishes or smaller portions, but
not always. There is a seafood restaurant near my mother's condo where you
get the exact same meal at lunch for $9.95 that they sell at dinner for
$24.95.

I worked for the same organization for 28 years before retiring and was on
the road most of the time. Sometimes I was working directing with co-workers
but most of the time I was more or less on my own. We used to get together
for lunch. When we worked afternoon shifts we got together for dinner. For
the last 7 years I worked on my own most of the time and rarely saw my
co-workers. Lunch got boring. I got into the habit of skipping lunch and
having a snack with my afternoon coffee instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> People talk a lot about dinner as a family time (or even breakfast)
> but I don't recall much attention being paid to the significance of
> lunch other than what to eat. I hear that many people (in the US, so
> they say) eat lunch at their desks or stations by choice or necessity,
> or run errands. But although lunch is generally an hour, some of us
> make good use of it to get together with coworkers.

(snippage)
> Sue(tm)

At my last job, I'd go out to lunch with a couple or three co-workers every
couple of months. (There was no cafeteria or even a sandwich shop in the
building.) It was always pleasant and fun but not something we did all that
often. Since I left there, I get together with these same folks about every
6 months for lunch.

I usually brought leftovers and reheated them in the microwave in the
breakroom, then I'd go back to my desk to eat and read. The breakroom was
far too noisy for concentration.

Jill