Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sacher glasur revisited

I lost the thread but a few weeks ago or so I asked about "kochschokolade"
with regard to a German language recipe for a sacher glasur -- a rich
chocolate icing -- and got some good feedback.

Since then I've tried a couple of different recipes and ended up making
some modifications and finally ended up with one that I really like:

160 mL water
150 g cane sugar
1 T corn syrup
125 g unsweetened chocolate

- boil water & sugar 5 minutes & cool slightly
- stir in chocolate
- when chocolate is thoroughly melted, stir in corn syrup

My last attempt actually used 150 mL water but it was a little too thick
so I'm guessing a little more water will make it just right.

I haven't done my research but I believe the corn syrup does the same
job that invert sugar would -- it prevents crystallizing. It also give
the glasur a nice shine. You might be able to substitute honey and it
might not have to be a whole tablespoon.

I've been using Guittard unsweetened chocolate disks. Whatever
unsweetened chocolate you use (which should never come from an orange
box) should be in small enough pieces to melt easily in the hot sugar
solution.

Sacher torte Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 24 15-01-2017 07:36 AM
Sacher torte gloria p General Cooking 11 14-02-2012 09:06 PM
My Sacher Pictures + Question Her Subj. Baking 18 21-04-2005 09:08 PM
Sacher Torte Recipe Her Subj. Baking 11 21-04-2005 04:41 AM
Sacher torte Reg Baking 7 20-10-2003 05:53 PM