Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brining a pork roast

Hi All!

I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should I stab
it in several places to let the brine penetrate?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Paul Barrett

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message

:: Hi All!
::
:: I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
:: roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should
I stab
:: it in several places to let the brine penetrate?
::
:: Any advice will be appreciated.
::
:: Paul Barrett

I wouldn't. You (I) usually brine to add moisture to it. A pork butt
is a really large and fatty piece of meat, and anything that you add
to the brine mixture won't penetrate in very far and isn't really
needed, since it won't add much taste to the inner portions.
Pork chops, yes, brine. Pork loin, maybe.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
> roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should I stab
> it in several places to let the brine penetrate?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> Paul Barrett

How are you planning on cooking it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:29:51 -0800, "Paul & Robin Barrett"
> wrote:

>I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
>roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should I stab
>it in several places to let the brine penetrate?

Be sure that the roast is pure meat and hasn't been injected with a
"solution," like they do with the meat sold at WalMart.

Carry on,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:29:51 -0800, "Paul & Robin Barrett"
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
>> roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should
>> I stab it in several places to let the brine penetrate?

> Be sure that the roast is pure meat and hasn't been injected with a
> "solution," like they do with the meat sold at WalMart.
>
> Carry on,
> Carol

It's not only WalMart. Most of the pork at our local supermarkets seems to
be injected with salt solution. I found this out when I used the salt-based
rub in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, just like I always had, and
ended up with a REALLY salty roast pork loin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul & Robin Barrett" > wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> I have a 7# pork "butt" roast. Am thinking about brining it before
> roasting. Good idea? How long in the brine would be best? Should I stab
> it in several places to let the brine penetrate?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.

A lean loin may benefit from brining, but a fatty butt has no need. Best
slow roasted to break down the collagen and it will be very tender. This is
what is usually used for pulled pork barbecue or for making sausage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've tried the same recipe -- adapted from
http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/...=Mozilla-searc
h&searchString=roasted+pork+sandwiches&start=0&sta rt=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

-- two ways, using a 5-6 lb bone-in pork butt which was then
slow-roasted for 6 hours at 300F. In the first, just the dry rub was
applied overnight in the fridge. In the second, the butt was brined in
1 gallon of water plus 1 cup kosher salt for about a day, then
dry-rubbed overnight. Both ways were fantastic, but I'd have to say
that brining does seem to make for more tender and flavorful meat. if
you have the time.

In article >, Paul & Robin Barrett

Brining Pork kitamun General Cooking 11 19-02-2007 06:01 AM
brining pork shoulder? [email protected] Barbecue 3 25-08-2005 04:52 AM
Brining Pork Loins? Camperz4 General Cooking 12 21-01-2005 01:11 AM
Brining Pork Butt Dave Bugg Barbecue 10 27-07-2004 07:53 AM
brining Pork Loin? Bill Kasting Barbecue 11 28-11-2003 04:37 PM