Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb and spinach curry....

I tried LadyJane's lamb and spinach curry today.

Got some lamb. DH chopped it up for me, and I prepared/chopped all the
other ingredients and then went out into the garden for the spinach....
Ooops. Not enough spinach left... so I took some form of bok choy that
was growing happily there...

Still turned out really well, although I was a bit careful with the
chili powder as LJ suggested, because I don't like my curry to take the
top of my head off. However, I could have made it a bit hotter, but I
will do that next time. Gotta try it with chicken too.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> I tried LadyJane's lamb and spinach curry today.
>
> Got some lamb. DH chopped it up for me, and I prepared/chopped all the
> other ingredients and then went out into the garden for the spinach....
> Ooops. Not enough spinach left... so I took some form of bok choy that
> was growing happily there...
>
> Still turned out really well, although I was a bit careful with the
> chili powder as LJ suggested, because I don't like my curry to take the
> top of my head off. However, I could have made it a bit hotter, but I
> will do that next time. Gotta try it with chicken too.
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

As with all recipes with chilli, best to err on the side of caution
first few times... you can beef it up with more chilli but you can't
take it out! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!)
Glad you enjoyed it CC... did you make the pumpkin too? Goes
beautifully with the hot curry (as it is more of a 'sweeter' curry)

cheers & happy currying...

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:

> As with all recipes with chilli, best to err on the side of caution
> first few times... you can beef it up with more chilli but you can't
> take it out! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!)
> Glad you enjoyed it CC... did you make the pumpkin too? Goes
> beautifully with the hot curry (as it is more of a 'sweeter' curry)
>
> cheers & happy currying...

I agree about the chilli.... LOL. Will add a bit more next time, tho'.

And no, I didn't make the pumpkin today... my DS is coming over tomorrow
and I promised to keep him some of the curry (which I have done). I will
make the pumpkin to go with it for him tomorrow! (he absolutely loves
pumpkin in any form).

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> I agree about the chilli.... LOL. Will add a bit more next time, tho'.
>
> And no, I didn't make the pumpkin today... my DS is coming over tomorrow
> and I promised to keep him some of the curry (which I have done). I will
> make the pumpkin to go with it for him tomorrow! (he absolutely loves
> pumpkin in any form).

I find it really easy these days making three or four curries - they
improve so much with age - which I can spin out for four to last 3
days. And NO!! We never tire of curries!!

One I made last week to go with a beef Madras was a dry potato curry.
Not sure whether I posted it or not and am too tired to check.

The recipe called for cooked cubed potato, but as I had time on my
hands I used raw. I wasn't sure whether or not it would compliment the
Madras so I only made enough for 1 sitting - not sure whether the
potato curry would 'keep & improve' in any case we had an eye fillet
and thought I'd do a Potato curry accompaniment (as a change to either
cheesey potato or baked spuds), so here's the original recipe:

4 large boiling potatoes, cooked and cubed
1 small brown onion finely diced
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli paste
oil/ghee

place a little oil or ghee into a heavy based saucepan and add the
mustard seeds & heat gently.
when they start to 'pop', add garlic and ginger and diced onion.
add spices - chilli to taste
toss in the cooked cubed potato and coat in spice mixture.
Simmer gently until fragrant and potatoes are hot.

Very delicious.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
(Utterly knackered - spent whole weekend rearranging and sorting out my

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:

> The recipe called for cooked cubed potato, but as I had time on my
> hands I used raw. I wasn't sure whether or not it would compliment the
> Madras so I only made enough for 1 sitting - not sure whether the
> potato curry would 'keep & improve' in any case we had an eye fillet
> and thought I'd do a Potato curry accompaniment (as a change to either
> cheesey potato or baked spuds), so here's the original recipe:

<bit of snipping>

This also sounds very nice. Wonder if I could use sweet potato for this
too? We have plenty of them from our garden....

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"LadyJane" > wrote:
>Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> I tried LadyJane's lamb and spinach curry today.
>>
>> Got some lamb. DH chopped it up for me, and I prepared/chopped all the
>> other ingredients and then went out into the garden for the spinach....
>> Ooops. Not enough spinach left... so I took some form of bok choy that
>> was growing happily there...
>>
>> Still turned out really well, although I was a bit careful with the
>> chili powder as LJ suggested, because I don't like my curry to take the
>> top of my head off. However, I could have made it a bit hotter, but I
>> will do that next time. Gotta try it with chicken too.

>As with all recipes with chilli, best to err on the side of caution
>first few times... you can beef it up with more chilli but you can't
>take it out! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!)
>Glad you enjoyed it CC... did you make the pumpkin too? Goes
>beautifully with the hot curry (as it is more of a 'sweeter' curry)

G'day M'lady,

I must have missed the original (or mislaid it . Is this the one
Chatty Cathy is referring to?
<http://rubymurray.com/curry/DisplayRecipe.asp?Name=Palak+Gosht>

P.S. Is there still such a thing as seqeb? Our local fnqeb
(affectionately known as "effnqeb" ;-) seemed to die some time ago
when things got reorganised.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> I must have missed the original (or mislaid it . Is this the one
> Chatty Cathy is referring to?

Yep, that's the one!

LadyJane kindly gave it to me to put on the RFC site

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> G'day M'lady,
>
> I must have missed the original (or mislaid it . Is this the one
> Chatty Cathy is referring to?
> <http://rubymurray.com/curry/DisplayRecipe.asp?Name=Palak+Gosht>

No Phred, it's one of my recipes on the RFC website which Cathy
supports/maintains.
try this link:
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/L...h%20Curry.html
it's also got the pumpkin recipe too.

> P.S. Is there still such a thing as seqeb? Our local fnqeb
> (affectionately known as "effnqeb" ;-) seemed to die some time ago
> when things got reorganised.

ROFLMAO
In the early days of my internetting I didn't have my own account and
as husband had email a/c for work, I piggybacked on his. Ahh...those
WERE the days...BK (before kids!)
No seqeb morphed into energex about 14 odd years ago if my addled
memory serves.

Interestingly enough the electricity supplier decided a few years back,
to break into the Gas market too. Called for suggestions (from staff)
of a new name for the Gas co... smartass husband of mine decided to
submit....

GAStric.
It wasn't a winner I'm sad to say! I thought it was a brilliant name.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> This also sounds very nice. Wonder if I could use sweet potato for this
> too? We have plenty of them from our garden....

Would be mighty tasty - though I'd be inclined to use them raw, rather
than pre-cooking for else you stand the chance of it turning to a
mooshed/mashed Curry...
SP always seems to break down fairly quickly.
However, come to think of it, if you cubed and fried off the SP first,
it should hold it's form.

Let me know how you get on....
I love the orange SP - it's pretty much a fixture in most of my dishes
(mashed w/garlic; deep fried; baked; roasted... and is a very low
glycemic food, which the health experts tell us we should be eating
more of. Not too fussed on the 'white' sweet potato though.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> G'day M'lady,
>
> I must have missed the original (or mislaid it . Is this the one
> Chatty Cathy is referring to?
> <http://rubymurray.com/curry/DisplayRecipe.asp?Name=Palak+Gosht>

Now I feel like a total twerp.
Note to self: check link BEFORE deciding it's not the right one.
Had no idea it had been included on that site!

Sorry Phred for my confusion.

Cheers,

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>, "LadyJane" > wrote:

>Phred wrote:
>
>> G'day M'lady,
>>
>> I must have missed the original (or mislaid it . Is this the one
>> Chatty Cathy is referring to?
>> <http://rubymurray.com/curry/DisplayRecipe.asp?Name=Palak+Gosht>

>Now I feel like a total twerp.
>Note to self: check link BEFORE deciding it's not the right one.
>Had no idea it had been included on that site!
>
>Sorry Phred for my confusion.

No worries, M'lady -- and I note you did say you didn't have this
problem 14 years ago. ;-)

Oh... And thanks for your response(s). Chatty Cathy too.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID