Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favourite rub

I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message

:: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone
have a
:: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice) and
some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
powder.
When should I arrive?

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> "biig" > wrote in message
>
> :: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone
> have a
> :: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
>
> Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice) and
> some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
> powder.
> When should I arrive?
>
> BOB

Any time....you bringing the dessert? LOL....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have
> a favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

Here is one I like on ribs

Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt ( I leave this out as I like to add my own salt to taste)
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 1/2 cup
--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
> favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

I'm a big fan of using whole spices and grinding them with a coffee
grinder. I think a combo of chipotle, cumin, coriander, a little
cinnamon and clove and white pepper (and some salt, of course), is
quite nice. I can't give you proportions, as I always eyeball it.

If you happen to have a middle eastern/east african market close by,
look for a spice mixture called berbere. I've never used it for ribs,
only a whole goat, but I bet it's good.

Happy grilling,
Nico

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nico" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> biig wrote:
>> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
>> favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

> I'm a big fan of using whole spices and grinding them with a coffee
> grinder. I think a combo of chipotle, cumin, coriander, a little
> cinnamon and clove and white pepper (and some salt, of course), is
> quite nice. I can't give you proportions, as I always eyeball it.
>
> If you happen to have a middle eastern/east african market close by,
> look for a spice mixture called berbere. I've never used it for ribs,
> only a whole goat, but I bet it's good.
>
> Happy grilling,
> Nico

Chipotle. I have the powder. Is chipotle available whole - like
peppercorns?

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:02:56 -0400, "elaine" > wrote:

>Chipotle. I have the powder. Is chipotle available whole - like
>peppercorns?

www.penzeys.com

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message

:: BOB wrote:
:::
::: "biig" > wrote in message
:::
::::: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone
have a
::::: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
:::
::: Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice)
and
::: some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
::: powder.
::: When should I arrive?
:::
::: BOB
::
:: Any time....you bringing the dessert? LOL....Sharon

'Nanner pudding. With real vanilla wafers.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
> favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

If you can find Bolner's Fiesta brand spices in your supermarkets, they make
a good pork rub. We use it for ribs and butts.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote in :

> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have

> favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

biig,

I'm not a BBQ person but on a food show about BBQ, Stubb's rub comes
highly regarded. I use Stubb's marinades with great results from time to
time.

Good bbq'in!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, biig > wrote:

> BOB wrote:
> >
> > "biig" > wrote in message
> >
> > :: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone
> > have a
> > :: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
> >
> > Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice) and
> > some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
> > powder.
> > When should I arrive?
> >
> > BOB

> Any time....you bringing the dessert? LOL....Sharon

I think BOB's bringing the G&T, Sharon. I've got dessert covered. I'm
thinking about this -- the first recipe I ever got from the net about 10
years ago. I've posted the recipe a number of times before (I've only
got about 6 good recipes "0-) I just picked up 8 pints of raspberries
from Sister Julie. And since we won't need it until tomorrow, it'll
be perfect.

{ Efficaciously Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Meringue Berry Roll

Recipe By: Barb Schaller post to rf.cooking 7-8-06
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 egg whites - room temp.
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. cornstarch
3/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 cups assorted berries (diced strawberries &
whole blueberries)

Beat egg whites until frothy. Continue to beat and gradually add
sugar. Beat until soft peaks form, then beat in cream of tartar and
cornstarch. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Line a 9x13 inch
baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread the meringue evenly over the
paper and bake at 350 12-15 min. until lightly browned. Cool
completely. Invert the meringue onto the work surface on another sheet
of waxed paper. Carefully peel off the first sheet of waxed paper.

Beat the cream until stiff. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the
meringue. Place the berries over the whipped cream. Beginning at one
long edge and using the sheet of waxed paper as a guide, roll the
meringue over the berries, jelly-roll style. Transfer to a serving
platter. Garnish with additional berries and mint leaves if desired.
Cut into 2 inch slices and serve. Serves 6.

----------
Notes: Source: Internet newsgroup rec.food.recipes
(Andrew Yale ), 13 Jul 1995. Made 7/17/95: I
think it tasted better after it chilled for several hours -- at least
overnight.
____
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Admeril Neil®" wrote:

> "biig" > wrote in message
>
> :: BOB wrote:
> :::
> ::: "biig" > wrote in message
> :::
> ::::: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone
> have a
> ::::: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
> :::
> ::: Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice)
> and
> ::: some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
> ::: powder.
> ::: When should I arrive?
> :::
> ::: BOB
> ::
> :: Any time....you bringing the dessert? LOL....Sharon
>
> 'Nanner pudding. With real vanilla wafers.
>
> BOB

Love it...bring lots.... no calories innit huh? ....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:02:56 -0400, "elaine" > wrote:
>
>>Chipotle. I have the powder. Is chipotle available whole - like
>>peppercorns?

> www.penzeys.com
>
> Carol

Thanks much, I'll order some..........

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My favorite rub is a concoction of Marv Woods. I use it on pork
tenderloins, and many things I barbeque or grill. The recipe is as
follows:

MARV SPICE (SAVORY)

1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That looks like an amazing recipe. . .I'm saving it!

Myrl

> Here is one I like on ribs
>
> Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:
> 2 tablespoons chili powder
> 2 teaspoons ground cumin
> 2 tablespoons paprika
> 1 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 tablespoon ground coriander
> 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1 tablespoon garlic powder
> 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
> 1 tablespoon salt ( I leave this out as I like to add my own salt to taste)
> 1 tablespoon dried oregano
>
> Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
> Yield: 1/2 cup
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:

> If you can find Bolner's Fiesta brand spices in your supermarkets, they make
> a good pork rub. We use it for ribs and butts.

That is one of the few "mixed" spices I buy. I love it for fajitas!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> MareCat wrote:
>
>> If you can find Bolner's Fiesta brand spices in your supermarkets, they
>> make a good pork rub. We use it for ribs and butts.
>>

> That is one of the few "mixed" spices I buy. I love it for fajitas!

Never used the pork rub for fajitas, but I love their fajita seasoning. They
have quite a few good spice blends.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in
message

:: In article >, biig >
wrote:
::
::: BOB wrote:
::::
:::: "biig" > wrote in message
::::
[...]

That would work, but I don't particularly care for G&T. I'll bring
some margaritas. And a real smoker.

Sharon, how many racks of ribs? I need to bring the right sized
smoker.

BOB

::
:: { Efficaciously Exported from MasterCook Mac }
::
:: Meringue Berry Roll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in
> message
>
> :: In article >, biig >
> wrote:
> ::
> ::: BOB wrote:
> ::::
> :::: "biig" > wrote in message
> ::::
> :::::: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill
> tomorrow....anyone have a
> :::::: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
> ::::
> :::: Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is nice)
> and
> :::: some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or onion
> :::: powder.
> :::: When should I arrive?
> ::::
> :::: BOB
> :::
> ::: Any time....you bringing the dessert? LOL....Sharon
> ::
> ::
> :: I think BOB's bringing the G&T, Sharon. I've got dessert covered.
> I'm
> :: thinking about this -- the first recipe I ever got from the net
> about 10
> :: years ago. I've posted the recipe a number of times before (I've
> only
> :: got about 6 good recipes "0-) I just picked up 8 pints of
> raspberries
> :: from Sister Julie. And since we won't need it until tomorrow,
> it'll
> :: be perfect.
>
> That would work, but I don't particularly care for G&T. I'll bring
> some margaritas. And a real smoker.
>
> Sharon, how many racks of ribs? I need to bring the right sized
> smoker.
>
> BOB

Right On!!!!! Two racks....not enough....got to go to the store....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here are 2 more of Emeril's spice blends which would also work as rubs. Now
I have all the ingredients for his Asian and Italian, just don't have the
amounts of each ingredient.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt (again I leave this out and salt to taste)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: about 2/3 cup

Emeril's Rustic Rub
8 tbl Paprika
3 tbl Cayenne pepper, (or to taste)
5 tbl Freshly ground black pepper
6 tbl Garlic powder
3 tbl Onion powder
6 tbl Salt (again I leave this out and salt to taste)
2 1/2 tbl Dried Oregano
2 1/2 tbl Dried Thyme

Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container for up to three
months.
Yield: about 2/3 cup.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MareCat wrote:
> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> MareCat wrote:
>>
>>> If you can find Bolner's Fiesta brand spices in your supermarkets, they
>>> make a good pork rub. We use it for ribs and butts.
>>>

>> That is one of the few "mixed" spices I buy. I love it for fajitas!

> Never used the pork rub for fajitas, but I love their fajita seasoning. They
> have quite a few good spice blends.
>
> Mary

Ooops.. I didn't read your original comment to include the words "pork
rub" as a specific item rather than just your use of the spice blend.
I was actually thinking of their labeled Fajita seasonings!
Love 'em!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy-
I increase the ingredients 10 times over, and fill a 1/2 pint canning
mason with the stuff, so that it's always handy among my spices.

I use a little of it also in my flour mix for fish frying . . .It gives
it a nice Cajun flavor.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm getting excited about trying these out!

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" wrote
:: BOB wrote:
:::
::: "Melba's Jammin'" wrote
::::: biig wrote:
:::::
:::::: BOB wrote:
:::::::
::::::: "biig" wrote
::::::::: I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill
tomorrow....anyone have a
::::::::: favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon
:::::::
::::::: Freshly ground pepper (coarse groung, and a pepper blend is
nice) and
::::::: some coarse salt. Maybe add a little garlic powder and/or
onion
::::::: powder.
::::::: When should I arrive?
:::::::
::::::: BOB
::::::
[...]

I can cook at least 12 racks of spare ribs at a time. St. Louis
style, probably 20 plus the rib-tips. (Never smoked back ribs)
Sounds like a party to me!
;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:58:49 -0400, biig > wrote:

> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
>favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

I know you'll get lots of good replies to this query, but here's my
two cents:

I use powdered chiles, brown sugar, ginger, and black pepper. The
chiles I've used vary, but have included combinations of Spanish
smoked paprika, chipotle, ancho, cinnamon powder, and prepared chili
powders like Mexene and Geghardt's. That's a dry rub.

Sometimes I've gone more Asian in the rub and used a blenderized mix
of black pepper, fresh basil, lime juice, fish sauce, serrano chiles,
ginger, honey, and maybe mint. That's a wet rub. There's enough
basil in it to make it green, but I DO like green ribs and ham. I do
like them, Sam I Am! Actually, the ribs aren't green at all after
five hours or so in the pit.
--
modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

modom wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:58:49 -0400, biig > wrote:
>

> > I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
> >favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

> I know you'll get lots of good replies to this query, but here's my
> two cents:
>
> I use powdered chiles, brown sugar, ginger, and black pepper. The
> chiles I've used vary, but have included combinations of Spanish
> smoked paprika, chipotle, ancho, cinnamon powder, and prepared chili
> powders like Mexene and Geghardt's. That's a dry rub.
>
> Sometimes I've gone more Asian in the rub and used a blenderized mix
> of black pepper, fresh basil, lime juice, fish sauce, serrano chiles,
> ginger, honey, and maybe mint. That's a wet rub. There's enough
> basil in it to make it green, but I DO like green ribs and ham. I do
> like them, Sam I Am! Actually, the ribs aren't green at all after
> five hours or so in the pit.
> --
> modom

Thanks to all for the tips. Some good eating to come....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I have a couple racks of pork ribs to grill tomorrow....anyone have a
> favourite rub they use??? tia....Sharon

1/2 C granulated sugar or brown sugar
coarse sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
1 T sweet paprika (or less if use regular paprika)
minced garlic (to taste)

Mix all ingredients together with your fingers. Make adjustments to
suit taste as desired. Pat mixture all over pork chops and place chops
and extra mixture into a ziploc bag. Refrigerate atleast 24 hours (up
to 48 hours for maximum flavor and juiciness) and then grill....

It's like having a sweet and salty candied pork chop. The flavor is
great and the chop is moist and juicy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Jul 2006 19:44:58 -0700, "Molly" > wrote:

>1/2 C granulated sugar or brown sugar
>coarse sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
>1 T sweet paprika (or less if use regular paprika)
>minced garlic (to taste)
>
>Mix all ingredients together with your fingers. Make adjustments to
>suit taste as desired. Pat mixture all over pork chops and place chops
>and extra mixture into a ziploc bag. Refrigerate atleast 24 hours (up
>to 48 hours for maximum flavor and juiciness) and then grill....
>
>It's like having a sweet and salty candied pork chop. The flavor is
>great and the chop is moist and juicy!

My kingdom for a pork chop!

Thanks!
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 07:57:39p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...

> On 9 Jul 2006 19:44:58 -0700, "Molly" > wrote:
>
>>1/2 C granulated sugar or brown sugar
>>coarse sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
>>1 T sweet paprika (or less if use regular paprika)
>>minced garlic (to taste)
>>
>>Mix all ingredients together with your fingers. Make adjustments to
>>suit taste as desired. Pat mixture all over pork chops and place chops
>>and extra mixture into a ziploc bag. Refrigerate atleast 24 hours (up
>>to 48 hours for maximum flavor and juiciness) and then grill....
>>
>>It's like having a sweet and salty candied pork chop. The flavor is
>>great and the chop is moist and juicy!

> My kingdom for a pork chop!

What would you give for 6 pork chops? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must put their paw into the boiling water to
snag a cooking shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jul 2006 05:05:15 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 07:57:39p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to say...
>
>> On 9 Jul 2006 19:44:58 -0700, "Molly" > wrote:
>>
>>>1/2 C granulated sugar or brown sugar
>>>coarse sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
>>>1 T sweet paprika (or less if use regular paprika)
>>>minced garlic (to taste)
>>>
>>>Mix all ingredients together with your fingers. Make adjustments to
>>>suit taste as desired. Pat mixture all over pork chops and place chops
>>>and extra mixture into a ziploc bag. Refrigerate atleast 24 hours (up
>>>to 48 hours for maximum flavor and juiciness) and then grill....
>>>
>>>It's like having a sweet and salty candied pork chop. The flavor is
>>>great and the chop is moist and juicy!

>> My kingdom for a pork chop!

>What would you give for 6 pork chops? :-)

Um, uh .... my gingersnaps recipe?

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 08:45:13p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
say...

> On 10 Jul 2006 05:05:15 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 07:57:39p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>>say...

>>> My kingdom for a pork chop!

>>What would you give for 6 pork chops? :-)

> Um, uh .... my gingersnaps recipe?

Sounds fair, but I think I already have it. :-)

BTW, gingersnap crumbs make an interesting breading for pork chops.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must put their paw into the boiling water to
snag a cooking shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/D...ersnaps.htmlOn
10 Jul 2006 05:51:36 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 08:45:13p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>say...
>
>> On 10 Jul 2006 05:05:15 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 07:57:39p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>>>say...

>>>What would you give for 6 pork chops? :-)

>> Um, uh .... my gingersnaps recipe?

>Sounds fair, but I think I already have it. :-)
>
>BTW, gingersnap crumbs make an interesting breading for pork chops.

I'll have to try that with the crappy store-bought ones. Mine are too
good to use as breading. ;o)
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/D...ngersnaps.html

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jul 2006 06:21:45 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Sun 09 Jul 2006 09:02:33p, Damsel in dis Dress meant to
>say...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/D...ss/Gingersnaps.
>> htmlOn 10 Jul 2006 05:51:36 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>BTW, gingersnap crumbs make an interesting breading for pork chops.

>> I'll have to try that with the crappy store-bought ones. Mine are too
>> good to use as breading. ;o)
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/D...ss/Gingersnaps.
>> html

>Yes, I agree. I made your recipe last Christmas. They didn't last until
>Christmas. :-)

<BEAMING> Thanks so much! Well, a nod to the folks at Brer Rabbit
Molasses wouldn't hurt, either.

Carol

Favourite Tea jsjohnsmith Tea 26 24-01-2014 09:49 AM
WHat is YOUR favourite drive-thru? PLucas1[_2_] General Cooking 33 02-03-2010 12:14 AM
my favourite bbq Peek Oil Barbecue 0 27-05-2008 10:13 PM
which is your favourite tea? Chinesetea Tea 30 29-08-2005 05:27 AM