Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dark Chocolate Macadamia Gooey w/ Coconut

Someone asked for this when I had it developed, so here it is:

For Crust:
1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix
4 oz Butter, Melted
1 Egg Beaten

Combine ingredients and press in to a 9x13 cake pan, or 2 9x9 pans.

For Filling
8 oz Cream Cheese, softend
2 Eggs
4 oz Butter, Melted
1 lb Powdered Sugar
4 Tbs Dark Cocoa Powder
2 oz Macadamia Nuts Choped
10 oz Toasted coconut.

Cream the Cream Cheese, eggs & butter together until smooth
Sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and slowly add to
creammed mixture.
Fold in Nuts & Coconut.

Pour over crust and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Filling
should still move when done, do not let it fully set.

Cool and cut in to 1"-2" Squares, or bigger if you dare, but it's a
fairly rich desert.

Chocolate Malted Gooey Butter Cake

For Crust:
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (Or Chocolate if you prefer)
4 oz Butter, Melted
1 Egg

For Filling:
8 oz Cream Cheese
2 Eggs
4 oz Butter Melted
1 lb Powdered Sugar
4 Tbs Dark Chocolate Cocoa
4 Tbs Malted Milk powder

Prepare as above, sifting the sugar, cocoa and malted milk powder
together.

You could use Chocolate Malted Milk Powder, but I like to have the
flexiblity to adjust the ballance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in
. dk:

>> 1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix

> I can't *stand* the packaged cake mixes that are available here in DK
> (no flavor what-so-ever). I suppose I could make up the dry
> ingredients of my favorite chocolate/devil's food cake recipes and use
> it? Thoughts, anyone?

You could try it, I have, somewhere around here, a recipe for a generic
cake mix from scratch, but I use Duncan Hines, have for years, and have
never felt that they had "no flavor what-so-ever". Plus, the filling is
where the flavor comes in.

>> 4 Tbs Dark Cocoa Powder

> Just regular, unsweetened cocoa powder, right?

I found that Hershey's Special Dark gave MUCH more chocolate flavor than
plan cocoa. You'll definitly be better off with at least Dutch processed
than straight.

>> 4 Tbs Dark Chocolate Cocoa

> Same as above -- regular cocoa powder or cocoa/hot chocolate drink mix
> (this sounds more like drink mix to me, so I just want to be clear
> )?

Again, I got more Chocolate Flavor from Hershey's Special Dark than
regular baking cocoa, it's dutched, beyond that I don't know what the
actual difference is, but you want to at least use Dutched. There is a
"Chocolate Malted Milk" powder, but personally, I prefer to keep the Malt
& the Chocolate seperate so I can make flavor adjustments. I had the
plain on hand, so I haven't tried it with the Chocolate Malt mix yet.

> I think these sound rather yummy.

Well, two of the guys in my Cullinary class "don't do sweets" and they
kept taking the scrap pieces every time they passed them when I made them
the otherday at school for a party.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> Someone asked for this when I had it developed, so here it is:

<snip>

I am a major fan of coconut and dark chocolate together, so thanks for
posting this!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike H" > wrote in message
.130...

> You could try it, I have, somewhere around here,
> a recipe for a generic cake mix from scratch, but
> I use Duncan Hines, have for years, and have never
> felt that they had "no flavor what-so-ever". Plus,
> the filling is where the flavor comes in.

Cool. I can't get Duncan Hines in Denmark ... hmmm ... on second thought,
that might not technically be true -- I'm not sure what the American store
has in stock just now -- it varies a lot -- but since I also don't want to
pay more than 10USD for a cake mix, I'll probably skip it either way. I'd
pretty much given up using cake mixes by the time I left San Diego -- I'd
just lost my taste for them. I am, however, going to try this, using the
dry ingredients from some cake recipe or other.

Thanks for your reply.
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in news:44ad6885$0
:

> but since I also don't want to pay more than 10USD for a cake mix

Yeah, it's probably worth it to go from scratch at that price. At $0.88
per box here, it's not really worth the time to make a scratch mix, tho if
I start having to mass produce them, it could be worth it then. Gotta try
the recipe I have first, then cost everything out, including labor time.