Tigsnona

Default Using Porcini Mushrooms

I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
chopped up.

I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.

The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.

TigsNona
Jack Schidt®

"Tigsnona" > wrote in message
> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
> chopped up.
>
> I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
> pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.
>
> The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.
>

> TigsNona

This is simple, but how about sauteeing them in olive oil with fresh garlic
and serving on crisp bread?

Here's a good place with recipes:
http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/...string=porcini

Jack Fungo

Hahabogus

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
:

> "Tigsnona" > wrote in message
>> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
>> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to
>> be chopped up.
>>
>> I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
>> pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.
>>
>> The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.
>>

>> TigsNona

> This is simple, but how about sauteeing them in olive oil with fresh
> garlic and serving on crisp bread?
>
> Here's a good place with recipes:
> http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/...string=porcini
>

> Jack Fungo

Adding them to cook to a pan after pork chops or pork tenderloin medalions
have been cooked and then deglazing with a little cream for a nice
mushroom sauce/gravy.
Anita Amaro

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Tigsnona" > wrote in message
> >> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> >> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to
> >> be chopped up.
> >>
> >> I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
> >> pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.
> >>
> >> The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.
> >>

> >> TigsNona

> > This is simple, but how about sauteeing them in olive oil with fresh
> > garlic and serving on crisp bread?
> >
> > Here's a good place with recipes:
> > http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/...string=porcini
> >

> > Jack Fungo
> >

> Adding them to cook to a pan after pork chops or pork tenderloin medalions
> have been cooked and then deglazing with a little cream for a nice
> mushroom sauce/gravy.

These are very good. I also have a crepe recipe somewhere that uses porcini
mushrooms. I'll look for that.

Exotic mushroom & goat cheese quesadillas
1 c boiling water

½ c dried mushrooms (shitake, porcini, etc.)

2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

¼ c minced shallots

4 c sliced mixed fresh mushrooms, about 1 pound

½ tsp salt

2 tsp chopped rosemary

2 oz lower fat goat cheese crumbled

½ c shredded Parmesan

salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

7 eight inch tortillas

Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.

Pour boiling water over dried mushrooms. Drain mushrooms using double
thickness of cheesecloth. Rinse mushrooms to remove sediment and set aside.

Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add shallots and sauté until
soft. Add fresh & dried mushrooms & sauté about 10 minutes. Add rosemary &
cook until liquid has evaporated.

Remove from heat. Add goat cheese and Parmesan and stir until well mixed.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spray tortillas with vegetable cooking spray (???) and place on prepared
baking sheet, sprayed side down. Spread ½ c mixture over ½ half tortilla.
Fold to cover and press firmly to spread filling evenly to edges. Bale 15
minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve warm.

Anita

SportKite1

>From: Tigsnona

>I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
>have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
>chopped up.
>
>I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
>pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.
>
>The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.

I caught a bit of Mario's show on Foodtv the other day. He was sauteeing these
unfamiliar mushrooms...the tops were small rounds with thick stumps for stems.
They reminded me of fairy tale mushrooms. Turned out that they were fresh
Porcini. YUM!

I too can only find dried, but that's okay. They lend an earthiness I find
irresistable to stews and sauces. My favorite is a sauce I make using
rehydrated porcini and the liquid, combined with shallots, beef glace, blood
orange juice, fresh oregano and a bit of marsala. It's sweet, tart, earthy and
savory...makes a fabulous sauce for Veal Chops.

Ellen

Ellen

Alex Rast

at Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:23:23 GMT in <9t1gnvc8jvldm75flqs6hk2dtvvnisecmc@
4ax.com>, (Tigsnona) wrote :

>I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
>have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
>chopped up.
>
>I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
>pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.

Use in stews - just add the mushrooms once the stew has some liquid
developed. Porcini will enahnce the flavour of any stew that calls for
regular mushrooms, or criminis. Same goes for soups.

A great and simple pasta sauce (if sometimes a bit tedious) : take 2 cups
whole milk. Put in a pot on medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it
starts to thicken slightly. Add the porcinis. Continue stirring and cooking
until it thickens noticeably. Pour over the pasta. You need to be a bit
careful because if you let the sauce thicken too much, it will turn into
glue over the pasta, but as long as you don't cook it down to the level
where it starts to become custardy, you should be fine.

Use in risotto - I like to make a risotto using mushroom stock as the base
liquid, with peas and porcini. Add the porcinis as you add the last
ladlefull of mushroom stock. Classic technique would call for a soffrito at
the beginning of onion and garlic, but I've found onion tends to overpower
mushrooms a bit, so I use garlic and celery instead. I don't use parmesan
at the end, and I think in a mushroom/pea risotto it would be completely
out of place anyway.

You can make the stock for your risotto using porcini as well (this is a
pretty extravagant use of the mushrooms) - you'll need at least 3 packets
of dry mushrooms for 4 cups of mushroom stock. I'd save this kind of stock
for special occasions: my regular stock is crimini mushroom stock. You
simply simmer the mushrooms in the water for several hours, then discard
the mushrooms, whatever the type.

Also, use porcinis with barley - a great dish is barley cooked in mushroom
stock with porcini and lamb. Proportions should be similar to a risotto -
i.e. the porcini and lamb should be like condiments, not half the weight of
the dish. You can substitute lentils for the lamb as well, and this makes
for a very hearty dish in winter. The "deluxe" version uses all 3 items.
This whole dish idea is a great time and effort saver, because it requires
almost no attention on your part (put barley in pot with stock, leave on a
low setting for a while, dump the other ingredients in 1/2 hour before
serving), and because you can re-use leftovers for day after day. Simply
put the pot in the fridge, and reheat over the stove whenever you want a
zero-effort meal. Of course, you can experiment with other additions as
well

Mixed with chicken or turkey (especially if mixed with the above plus
chicken or turkey gravy), they make a delicious crepe filling.

These are just some possibilities. In general, the idea is that you can use
them whenever you want to add a rich flavour and sense of luxury to any
sort of hearty, stew-like composite dish.

--
Alex Rast

alzelt

Tigsnona wrote:
> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
> chopped up.
>
> I have used them, along with finely chopped semi-dried tomatoes in
> pasta - but I would really appreciate other ideas.
>
> The flavour of these funghi is absolutely magic.
>

> TigsNona

You don't say what you have done with the liquid used to soften them up.
I do hope you saved them for other uses, such as boiling rice in the juice.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Tigsnona

The very clear instructions on the package (from Italy) says (in
English and other languages) that the contents should be soaked in
warm water no less than 1 hour and no longer than 12. I took 4 hours
to be a pretty good clue - and I could cut them up fine.

I use the soaking water in stews or gravies - never waste a thing.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:25:56 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:23:23 +1200, Tigsnona
> wrote:
>

>>I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
>>have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
>>chopped up.

>I never had any kind of mushroom need 4 hours to rehydrate, even whole
>ones. Porcini's almost always come sliced before dried as most are
>too big/dense to endure proper dehydrating. Maybe that's why they
>take so long to rehydrate - they weren't properly dried in the first
>place?
>
>The one time I did get whole dried prorcini's, they took 30min to
>rehydrate. 4 hours?
>
>-sw

TigsNona
Nancree

>>From: Tigsnona
>
>>I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
>>have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
>>chopped up.

---------------------------
I recently bought a package of dried porcini mushrooms at Trader Joe's. (In a
square- shaped clear plastic container). They recommend putting in water only
60 seconds, and then squeezing them dry. They taste very good, but have sort
of an icky chewy quality. Fine when mixed with other mushrooms, or onions, or
in a soup or mixed in with wild rice/regular rice mixture. Ummm!

Victor Sack

Tigsnona > wrote:

> I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
> chopped up.

Mushroom Soup

(quantities are approximate)

10-12 large dried porcini (caps only if possible)
1 onion, whole
1 medium-sized carrot, whole
a handful of dried roots, such as celery, parsley, etc. (they are sold
as Suppengewürz in Germany, if that's any help)
1.8 oz pearl barley (large-sized)
3-4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
2.5-3.3 quarts water
salt and pepper to taste

Soak porcini in cold water overnight. Chop the mushrooms, put in
a pot with water. Strain the soaking liquid and add it to the soup.
Bring to the boil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and dried roots
and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add pearl barley and continue to cook
until it's almost ready. Remove onion and carrot from the soup
and discard. Try for seasoning and add any if required. Add the
potatoes and cook until they are ready. Serve with a dollop of sour
cream in each plate.

Victor

Tamzen Cannoy

I bought some fresh porcini the other day and, having never tried them
fresh before, went looking for recipes. I found this one and it was
absolutely fabulous.

Wood-cutter's Penne
PENNE ALLA BOSCAIOLA

6 Servings:

Ingredients:
1 lb. penne pasta
3-1/2 oz. dry porcini mushrooms or 14 oz. fresh porcini mushrooms
4 tbs. tomato sauce
4 tbs. cream
3-1/2 oz. Parmigiano cheese
4 tbs. butter
2 tbs. parsley
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper, as needed
oil

Soak the dry mushrooms for approximately one-half hour. If using fresh
mushrooms, chop finely without soaking. Fry the pressed garlic in oil
and butter. Add the mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and cook for 20
minutes. When done, add the tomato sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the cream and mix until blended well. In the meantime, boil the
pasta in slightly salted water until al dente. Drain. Add to the
mushroom sauce and sprinkle with Parmigiano cheese. Serve immediately.
DaveS

> Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> Tigsnona > wrote:
>
> > I am addicted to Porcini mushrooms. I can only get them dried and
> > have to soak them for about 4 hours in order to render them able to be
> > chopped up.

> Mushroom Soup
>
> (quantities are approximate)
>
> 10-12 large dried porcini (caps only if possible)
> 1 onion, whole
> 1 medium-sized carrot, whole
> a handful of dried roots, such as celery, parsley, etc. (they are sold
> as Suppengewürz in Germany, if that's any help)
> 1.8 oz pearl barley (large-sized)
> 3-4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
> 2.5-3.3 quarts water
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Soak porcini in cold water overnight. Chop the mushrooms, put in
> a pot with water. Strain the soaking liquid and add it to the soup.
> Bring to the boil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and dried roots
> and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add pearl barley and continue to cook
> until it's almost ready. Remove onion and carrot from the soup
> and discard. Try for seasoning and add any if required. Add the
> potatoes and cook until they are ready. Serve with a dollop of sour
> cream in each plate.
>
> Victor

Suppengewürz, a nice sounding mix I've never heard of, or tasted, obviously.

I assume a handful would be one or two of these envelopes:

Alba Suppen Gewürz:
http://www.germandeli.com/gdcom/4000151001488.html
Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Parsnips, Leek, Onion, Tomatoes, Parsley
$2.59 for .25 oz (15G).

Didn't check shipping.

Maybe: sweat down a small amount of the fresh vegetables.
Or: dehydrated celery, onion, and parsley flakes might work.

Dave MRB

Victor Sack

DaveS > wrote:

> Alba Suppen Gewürz:
> http://www.germandeli.com/gdcom/4000151001488.html
> Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Parsnips, Leek, Onion, Tomatoes, Parsley
> $2.59 for .25 oz (15G).

..25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
oz).

Victor
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:

> DaveS > wrote:
>
> > Alba Suppen Gewürz:
> > http://www.germandeli.com/gdcom/4000151001488.html
> > Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Parsnips, Leek, Onion, Tomatoes, Parsley
> > $2.59 for .25 oz (15G).

> .25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
> Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
> oz).
>
> Victor

In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.

I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
vegetables in the package. I like to go to a green grocer who sells
these vegetables by weight and pick my own variety. MS
alzelt

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>>DaveS > wrote:
>>

>>> Alba Suppen Gewürz:
>>> http://www.germandeli.com/gdcom/4000151001488.html
>>> Ingredients: Carrots, Celery, Parsnips, Leek, Onion, Tomatoes, Parsley
>>> $2.59 for .25 oz (15G).

>>.25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
>>Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
>>oz).
>>
>>Victor

> In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
> Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
> small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
>
> I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
> vegetables in the package. I like to go to a green grocer who sells
> these vegetables by weight and pick my own variety. MS

That's scary, Margaret. You mean that practice of pre-packaging multiple
veggies is common? Sad thing.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Margaret Suran

alzelt wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
> > Victor Sack wrote:

> >>.25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
> >>Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
> >>oz).
> >>
> >>Victor

> > In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
> > Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
> > small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
> >
> > I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
> > vegetables in the package. I like to go to a green grocer who sells
> > these vegetables by weight and pick my own variety. MS

> That's scary, Margaret. You mean that practice of pre-packaging multiple
> veggies is common? Sad thing.
> --
> Alan

Yes, for soup greens it has been done for a long time. Almost always,
the dill and the parsley are half (or completely) spoiled when I open
the plastic bag. They are pre-packaged days in advance. MS
Dan Abel

In article >, Margaret Suran > wrote:

> alzelt wrote:

> > That's scary, Margaret. You mean that practice of pre-packaging multiple
> > veggies is common? Sad thing.
> > --
> > Alan

> Yes, for soup greens it has been done for a long time. Almost always,
> the dill and the parsley are half (or completely) spoiled when I open
> the plastic bag. They are pre-packaged days in advance. MS

I think that this is a good concept, both for the consumer and the store.
As Margaret notes, it doesn't always work out well in practice. Sometimes
these packages look pretty bad. I don't think we can reasonably expect
stores to sell parsley by the sprig, or parts of a leek. The handling
costs are too high. Around here, even if the produce is priced by the
pound, it is often packaged in units too large for my use. A bunch of
parsley usually goes bad before I use half of it. If a recipe called for
1/3 of a leek, I would leave it out. If I needed one teaspoon of fresh
chopped dill, I would substitute dried. If a recipe called for fresh,
uncooked parsely, I might buy a bunch. If it was going to be cooked, or
mixed with a lot of liquid, I would use dried.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:50:31 GMT, alzelt
> wrote:

>Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote:

>>>.25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
>>>Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
>>>oz).
>>>
>>>Victor

>> In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
>> Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
>> small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
>>
>> I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
>> vegetables in the package. I like to go to a green grocer who sells
>> these vegetables by weight and pick my own variety. MS

>That's scary, Margaret. You mean that practice of pre-packaging multiple
>veggies is common? Sad thing.

In the same city, others get their veggies from the farmers that grow
them, at Greenmarkets here and there. It is a large enough place so
that whatever someone wants to pay for is probably available.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again
Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > .25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
> > Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
> > oz).

> In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
> Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
> small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
>
> I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
> vegetables in the package.

Fresh or dried vegetables? Are they whole? Suppengewürz here consists
of finely chopped dried roots which disintegrate during cooking,
contributing to the taste of the dish but otherwise leaving barely a
trace.

Victor
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:

> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>
> > Victor Sack wrote:
> > >
> > > .25 oz is 7 g. That's a crazy price, in any case. In Germany,
> > > Suppengewürz costs something like 1 EUR (about $1.13) for 100 g (3.5
> > > oz).

> > In New York City it costs about $1.99 to $2.49 for a package of Soup
> > Greens that contains two large carrots, one parsnip, one turnip, one
> > small onion, as piece of leek, parsley and dill.
> >
> > I never checked, but I imagine there are about 8 oz. or more of
> > vegetables in the package.

> Fresh or dried vegetables? Are they whole? Suppengewürz here consists
> of finely chopped dried roots which disintegrate during cooking,
> contributing to the taste of the dish but otherwise leaving barely a
> trace.
>
> Victor

They are fresh vegetables, or were meant to be when they were packaged.
That's why there is such a discrepancy between the weights of the ones
you talk about and the ones I mean.

I looked at the packages today. They contain as little as eight ounces
and as much as twelve. Some stores package their own. None of them
include leeks any more and few put in dill, because that is the first
item to spoil.

If I had known that we are talking about two completely different
things, I would not have gone and researched this. (