Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uses for Leftover Bread and Buns

Carried over from another thread. We were talking about secondary uses
for bread and hamburger or hot dog buns that were past their prime, but
without colorful whiskers.

I don't have this is recipe format yet. I want to make it and take
measurements, so I can get it into MasterCook as a proper recipe. In
the meantime, this is what I have "jotted" down in MC:
Apple Stuffing for Pork Loin Roasts

tunnel through a pork loin roast with a knife, making a deep X shaped
cut through the core

bread cubes, apple juice, chopped apples, pecans, and cinnamon - stuff
into the center of a pork loin roast
What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>Carried over from another thread. We were talking about secondary uses
>for bread and hamburger or hot dog buns that were past their prime, but
>without colorful whiskers.

Freeze, and use them later for bread crumbs, or (possibly)
stuffing/dressing at Thanksgiving. (Depending on how far
gone they are.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
oups.com:

> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

I tear the stale stuff into little pieces and put in a bag in the
freezer. Use for poultry stuffing and adding to meatloaf. Once in a while
other recipes but I seldom have leftover bread. Store-bought sliced I
keep in the freezer and use slice by slice - homebaked loaves get cut
into halves or thirds and the immediately unneeded portion(s) frozen.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to
the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we
provide enough to those who have too little."

FDR

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jul 2006 10:27:47 -0700, "Damsel in dis Dress"

>What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

Bread pudding. If I don't have enough I freeze until I do.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

> I tear the stale stuff into little pieces and put in a bag in the
> freezer. Use for poultry stuffing and adding to meatloaf. Once in a while
> other recipes but I seldom have leftover bread. Store-bought sliced I
> keep in the freezer and use slice by slice - homebaked loaves get cut
> into halves or thirds and the immediately unneeded portion(s) frozen.

We just started saving the heels and the dry slice next to them in the
freezer so we can make french toast later. Nothing like french toast
made with the heels. Nice and chewy!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?
>
> Carol

apple brown betty
croutons
bread crumbs (stored in the freezer)
bird food
stuffing
french toast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> On 4 Jul 2006 10:27:47 -0700, "Damsel in dis Dress"

>> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?
>>

> Bread pudding. If I don't have enough I freeze until I do.
>
> Sue(tm)

Egg Strata is another good use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

I never have any left over bread - I keep small portions of bread in the
freezer to be thawed when I need them. But I love bread in papa pomodoro
(sp?) and I am very interested in 2 bread salads: fattoush and panzanella.
Some day I'll make them

And I used to make French toast occasionally. But it's not so great with the
dark, firm bread I buy these days. Although maybe I coudl do a savory
version with blue cheese, mushroom,s leeks, etc on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> I never have any left over bread - I keep small portions of bread in the
> freezer to be thawed when I need them. But I love bread in papa pomodoro
> (sp?) and I am very interested in 2 bread salads: fattoush and panzanella.
> Some day I'll make them

Panzanella:
http://tinyurl.com/lbo2f

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke > wrote:

>And I used to make French toast occasionally. But it's not so great with the
>dark, firm bread I buy these days.

I find that it works pretty well with firm whole-wheat breads
so long as you turn the temperature on the griddle lower and
grill it for longer. If you're making a large batch and
only have a small griddle, you're out of luck.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> And I used to make French toast occasionally. But it's not so great with the
> dark, firm bread I buy these days. Although maybe I coudl do a savory
> version with blue cheese, mushroom,s leeks, etc on top.

I like dark breads like rye for croutons and such. Sometimes I use both
white and dark breads for large dried bread croutons to be served under
chipped beef on toast (the Hormel jarred beef, not ground beef kind
which the occasional mushroom and green pea tossed in the cream sauce too)
Comfort food!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> We just started saving the heels and the dry slice next to them in the
> freezer so we can make french toast later. Nothing like french toast
> made with the heels. Nice and chewy!
>
> Carol

I use mine for strata. (Stratas? Stratae?) The next version will have
Monterey Jack cheese and diced jalapenos
and will be served with applesauce.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> I use mine for strata. (Stratas? Stratae?) The next version will have
> Monterey Jack cheese and diced jalapenos
> and will be served with applesauce.

I like Stratae. <G> I love that stuff. You're making me hungry!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?
>
> Carol

I may have posted this recipe before.

SEMMELKNOEDEL (White Bread Dumplings)

Four to five cups stale white bread, cut up into small cubes.

2 large eggs

1 up milk

fat

flour

salt and pepper

chopped parsley

Brown the pieces of bread in a small amount of fat or butter, about
one ounce, more if needed. Bacon grease is fine, if you have some.
When barely golden, remove the bread to a bowl.

Put a large pot with salted water on the stove and heat the water
until it boils.

Mix the eggs with the milk and the salt and pepper. Pour the mixture
over the bread and let it stand for half an hour. Add as much flour
as needed to handle the dough to form good sized dumplings with your
hands.

Drop the dumplings into the boiling water and boil them for about ten
to twelve minutes.

Slice the dumplings and serve them hot, sprinkled with the chopped
parsley.

They are traditionally served as a side dish for roasted goose,
roasted duck, roasted pork and are especially popular with baked or
boiled ham and sauerkraut.

Left over dumplings may be sliced and fried and served with cucumber
salad or other green salad as a luncheon dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm originally from Miami. The whole time I was growing up there, we
had ordinary small lizards that you'd see scurrying across the sidewalk,
but you never saw anything bigger. If you did, it was exotic. When we
visited last year for the first time in a long time, we noticed big
iguanas in every park. We're talking full-size 18" iguanas for just the
body. The tails continued down another 18" at least. They're big scaly
looking creatures with claws and wattles. The males are cream, orange,
or lime green. The females are smaller and a more uniform darker green.

We thought we were used to iguanas this last trip last week for my 30th
reunion from high school, but they were still cool when we saw a few in
the parking lot next to the swimming pool of the motel. We didn't give
them another thought until we were hanging out waiting for the desk
staff to get back when we were ready to check out. So there we were
wandering around for 20 minutes with our bags packed when we saw,
without exaggeration, at least 20 iguanas in all sizes surrounding one
man who, by his green uniform, was obviously one of the hotel
groundskeepers.

I walked up. He picked up one of the iguanas and put her on his
shoulder and walked around with her for a little. The others followed
close by his feet. I'm not exactly afraid of iguanas, but I'd never
gotten so close before, and while they weren't exactly afraid of me,
they did scurry away from me a little. The man knelt and let the iguana
off his back. Then I saw that he was feeding them which would explain
their kindly disposition towards him. Closer inspection revealed that
he was feeding them hotdog buns.

I asked him for a hotdog bun so I could feed them too. He didn't
understand English, but when I extended my hand, it was obvious what I
wanted, and he kindly handed me a bun. Meanwhile, Jim ran to the car
for the camera. Man, those things aren't shy when they know you've got
food! So there I am tossing them crumbs of bun and watching them scurry
closer as 3 or 4 race towards the crumb at once. Sometimes a sparrow
would dive in there and get some too.

A short while later, he indicated that it was too hot in the sun, gave
me the rest of the buns and left, presumably to get back to the more
conventional part of his job. I was now in charge of feeding time of
the iguana population of the Silver Sands Motel. Cool! Jim got
close-ups as the iguanas gained courage and came closer and closer to me
as I threw the bun pieces closer to me. Jim directed me where to throw
the bread and could practically compose the pictures that way.

I do know that reptiles can carry salmonella so I didn't actually touch
them, and I know I'm not ready to put one on my shoulder, but I do think
that's the best use for leftover bread and buns I've seen here yet.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Carried over from another thread. We were talking about secondary uses
> for bread and hamburger or hot dog buns that were past their prime, but
> without colorful whiskers.
>
> I don't have this is recipe format yet. I want to make it and take
> measurements, so I can get it into MasterCook as a proper recipe. In
> the meantime, this is what I have "jotted" down in MC:
> Apple Stuffing for Pork Loin Roasts
>
> tunnel through a pork loin roast with a knife, making a deep X shaped
> cut through the core
>
> bread cubes, apple juice, chopped apples, pecans, and cinnamon - stuff
> into the center of a pork loin roast
> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

We don't eat a lot of bread, so a lot of it ends up going stale before it
is used up. I have a wicker basket on my counter for left over bread.
When it gets dry and crisp I stick it in the food process and turn it into
bread crumbs to be used for hamburger filler or season them for breading on
veal and chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

With old bread I definitely make bread pudding served with whipped cream,
yum.
When the hamburg rolls and hot dog rolls start to dry out, I butter them and
grill them face down in a fry pan and serve with dinner. They are great
that way.

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > We just started saving the heels and the dry slice next to them in the
> > freezer so we can make french toast later. Nothing like french toast
> > made with the heels. Nice and chewy!
> >
> > Carol

> I use mine for strata. (Stratas? Stratae?) The next version will have
> Monterey Jack cheese and diced jalapenos
> and will be served with applesauce.
>
> Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Damsel in dis Dress" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...
> Jke wrote:
>
>> I never have any left over bread - I keep small portions of bread in the
>> freezer to be thawed when I need them. But I love bread in papa pomodoro
>> (sp?) and I am very interested in 2 bread salads: fattoush and
>> panzanella.
>> Some day I'll make them

> Panzanella:
> http://tinyurl.com/lbo2f
>
> Carol

Wow. That's looks entirely different from a recipe I read recently in which
bread was *soaked*. IIRC, it was in Bugialli's Foods of Italy. Or was that
pan bagnat? Lemme google........ nope.

Well, I'll get my books out soon.

Anway, the recipe your link points to looks very good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Steve Pope" > schreef in bericht
> Jke > wrote:
>
>>And I used to make French toast occasionally. But it's not so great with
>>the
>>dark, firm bread I buy these days.

> I find that it works pretty well with firm whole-wheat breads
> so long as you turn the temperature on the griddle lower and
> grill it for longer. If you're making a large batch and
> only have a small griddle, you're out of luck.
>
> Steve

I have a small griddle, but also a small household What do you serve it
with - if with anything at all?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jul 2006 10:27:47 -0700, "Damsel in dis Dress"
> wrote:

>Carried over from another thread. We were talking about secondary uses
>for bread and hamburger or hot dog buns that were past their prime, but
>without colorful whiskers.
>
>I don't have this is recipe format yet. I want to make it and take
>measurements, so I can get it into MasterCook as a proper recipe. In
>the meantime, this is what I have "jotted" down in MC:
>Apple Stuffing for Pork Loin Roasts
>
>tunnel through a pork loin roast with a knife, making a deep X shaped
>cut through the core
>
>bread cubes, apple juice, chopped apples, pecans, and cinnamon - stuff
>into the center of a pork loin roast
>What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

I used to either crumb it and toss it in the freezer for next time I
wanted to make meatloaf, or I'd make a bread and butter pudding (the
English-style one, not the one made with breadcrumbs)... one time I
made homemade croutons and they were GOOD! And a couple of times I
made little bread tartlets and put tunasalad in them for an hors
d'oeuvre. They were GOOD too...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > schreef in bericht

[French toast]

>> I find that it works pretty well with firm whole-wheat breads
>> so long as you turn the temperature on the griddle lower and
>> grill it for longer. If you're making a large batch and
>> only have a small griddle, you're out of luck.

> I have a small griddle, but also a small household What
> do you serve it with - if with anything at all?

Just maple syrup. (Yes, the grade B or C stuff from TJ's).
We tend not to have large, multi-item breakfasts in our
house.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

If they're not green and fuzzy, I bag them up, take them to the
neighborhood pond at the end of our street with my grandson and
feed the ducks and geese.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Steve Pope" > schreef in bericht
> Jke > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > schreef in bericht

> [French toast]
>
>>> I find that it works pretty well with firm whole-wheat breads
>>> so long as you turn the temperature on the griddle lower and
>>> grill it for longer. If you're making a large batch and
>>> only have a small griddle, you're out of luck.

>> I have a small griddle, but also a small household What
>> do you serve it with - if with anything at all?

> Just maple syrup. (Yes, the grade B or C stuff from TJ's).
> We tend not to have large, multi-item breakfasts in our
> house.
>
> Steve

Ok, I ahve maple syrup so I can try this. No big breakfasts here, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Jke" > schreef in bericht

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > schreef in bericht
> ups.com...
>> Jke wrote:
>>
>>> I never have any left over bread - I keep small portions of bread in the
>>> freezer to be thawed when I need them. But I love bread in papa pomodoro
>>> (sp?) and I am very interested in 2 bread salads: fattoush and
>>> panzanella.
>>> Some day I'll make them

>> Panzanella:
>> http://tinyurl.com/lbo2f
>>
>> Carol
>>

> Wow. That's looks entirely different from a recipe I read recently in
> which bread was *soaked*. IIRC, it was in Bugialli's Foods of Italy. Or
> was that pan bagnat? Lemme google........ nope.
>
> Well, I'll get my books out soon.
>
> Anway, the recipe your link points to looks very good!
>

>I chekced the Bugialli book. His Umbrain panzanella does actually involev
>soaking the bread, then squeezing the liquid out, then adding flavorings.
>It doesn't really appeal to me. The picture shows grey gunk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

Remembered two more...

Leftover corn bread is wonderful reheated in the nuker, topped with
butter and hot pancake syrup! I actually like it better than any sort
of breakfast dish (pancakes, waffles, etc.) Something about the
alkaline corn meal and the sweet syrup is just divine.

And leftover, stale Italian bread sometimes goes into a breakfast
casseole I make.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Jul 2006 01:09:47 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>Leftover corn bread is wonderful reheated in the nuker, topped with
>butter and hot pancake syrup! I actually like it better than any sort
>of breakfast dish (pancakes, waffles, etc.) Something about the
>alkaline corn meal and the sweet syrup is just divine.

I love to toast leftover cornbread and eat it with butter and honey or
molasses. You're right; the earthy, mealy cornbread is so delicious
with a sweet, syrupy topping.

With two boys in the house, we very rarely have any other leftover
bread! They are only eighteen months old -- I really fear for our
grocery budget in the future! My little brother just graduated high
school and I have seen how much he can eat.

If I do have anything leftover, including potato chip and savory
cereal crumbs, I just grind it all up and keep it in the freezer for
breadcrumbs. I use the breadcrumbs in meatloaf, tuna patties, bean
patties, casserole toppings.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:
> What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?
>
> Carol

Sometimes I dry and crumb; sometimes I feed da boids.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-5-06, Pannekoeken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

>> > What does everyone else do with their dying bread products?

My mother used to save it, and when it was slightly hard but not moldy,
and grate it and put it on elbow macaroni. It was delicious, especially
when the crumbs were from chalah-bread (which is a type of bread we eat
on the Sabbath).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Mordechai Housman"
> wrote:

>My mother used to save it, and when it was slightly hard but not moldy,
>and grate it and put it on elbow macaroni. It was delicious, especially
>when the crumbs were from chalah-bread (which is a type of bread we eat
>on the Sabbath).

So many fantastic ideas! Who knew you could be so creative with dead
bread? We're still just collecting odd slices for french toast, but I
think I'll start making some croutons and crumbs, as well.

Thanks everyone!
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Mordechai Housman"
> > wrote:

> >My mother used to save it, and when it was slightly hard but not moldy,
> >and grate it and put it on elbow macaroni. It was delicious, especially
> >when the crumbs were from chalah-bread (which is a type of bread we eat
> >on the Sabbath).

> So many fantastic ideas! Who knew you could be so creative with dead
> bread? We're still just collecting odd slices for french toast, but I
> think I'll start making some croutons and crumbs, as well.
>
> Thanks everyone!
> Carol

How did I miss this thread? I do croutons with old bread and I also make
toasted breadcrumbs, toasted in a skillet with butter and powdered garlic,
to put atop steamed veggies. Good stuff!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:37:48 -0400, in rec.food.cooking, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

>I'm originally from Miami. The whole time I was growing up there, we
>had ordinary small lizards that you'd see scurrying across the sidewalk,
>but you never saw anything bigger. If you did, it was exotic. When we
>visited last year for the first time in a long time, we noticed big
>iguanas in every park. We're talking full-size 18" iguanas for just the
>body. The tails continued down another 18" at least. They're big scaly
>looking creatures with claws and wattles. The males are cream, orange,
>or lime green. The females are smaller and a more uniform darker green.

Just catching up on my rfc reading and found this. Fascinating as I'm also
originally from Miami!

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:27:50 GMT, "Mordechai Housman"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
>> >message

>> >My mother used to save it, and when it was slightly hard but not
>> >moldy,
>> >and grate it and put it on elbow macaroni. It was delicious,
>> >especially
>> >when the crumbs were from chalah-bread (which is a type of bread we
>> >eat
>> >on the Sabbath).

>> So many fantastic ideas! Who knew you could be so creative with dead
>> bread? We're still just collecting odd slices for french toast, but
>> think I'll start making some croutons and crumbs, as well.
>>
>> Thanks everyone!
>> Carol

> How did I miss this thread? I do croutons with old bread and I also
> make
> toasted breadcrumbs, toasted in a skillet with butter and powdered
> garlic,
> to put atop steamed veggies. Good stuff!

I just remembered something called challah kugel. Kugel is sort of a
pudding that's not a dessert. We used to save our leftover challah in
the freezer, and then make a kugel out of it. I'd have to get the recipe
from my wife, if you're interested.

Mordechai