Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Five-Flavor Cake With Six-Flavor Glaze

This is a Watkins recipe from way back. I've only made this cake once.
I brought it to work and it was wildly popular! I'll make it again
some day when I'm feeding a crowd. I can't be left alone with a whole
cake that tastes this good.

Carol

* Exported from MasterCook *

Five-Flavor Cake With Six-Flavor Glaze

Recipe By :Watkins
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

---Cake---
1 cup soft butter -- (2 sticks)
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon butter flavor
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
---Glaze---
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon butter flavor
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a small, deep bowl, beat the eggs until light, foamy and lemon
colored. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening
and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs to creamed shortening and
mix well. Set aside.

Combine the milk and the flavorings. In another bowl, mix the flour
and the baking powder.

Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture little by little, alternating
with the milk. Begin and end with flour. Spoon mixture into a 10''
tube pan, angel food cake pan, or a Bundt pan which holds at least 12
cups.

Bake for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours, or until cake tests done with a
toothpick.

Prepare the glaze when the cake is nearly done by combining the sugar,
water and flavorings in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring
until the sugar is dissolved.

Remove cake from oven and cool, in the pan, on a wire rack for 10
minutes. Drizzle a small amount of the glaze over the cake in the pan.
Then invert pan onto a plate to remove cake. Spoon the rest of the
glaze over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Let cake cool
completely before serving.

-