FoodBanter.com

-   -   Grapefruit (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/95248-grapefruit.html)

[email protected] 03-07-2006 03:51 AM

Grapefruit

I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?

Thanks,

Gabadab

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 03-07-2006 04:29 AM

Grapefruit

Oh pshaw, on Sun 02 Jul 2006 07:51:34p, meant to say...

> I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
> sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
> firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
> folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?

Not typical, for sure, but I wait 'til they've just fallen off the tree or
just about to. They're plump, juicy, and somewhat soft to the touch.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 03-07-2006 06:05 AM

Grapefruit

Gabadab wrote:

> I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
> sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
> firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
> folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?

Good color (which indicates it's ripe) and heavy for its size (which
indicates it's juicy).

Bob

-L.[_2_] 03-07-2006 06:57 AM

Grapefruit

wrote:
> I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
> sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
> firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
> folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gabadab

Firm, heavy for its size, not green and not too blemished. I generally
only buy red or pink.
-L.

King's Crown[_1_] 03-07-2006 08:20 AM

Grapefruit

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Gabadab wrote:
>
>> I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
>> sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
>> firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
>> folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?

> Good color (which indicates it's ripe) and heavy for its size (which
> indicates it's juicy).
>
> Bob

I do the same thing... pick the heavy ones. Works well for oranges and
lemons too. I've been told I always have good oranges nice and juicy. The
opposite is true of picking geodes though... pick the light ones if you want
one hollow with crystals. :)

Lynne

LadyJane 03-07-2006 12:06 PM

Grapefruit

Sooo weird you should ask!

Was Sunday here yesterday and made a late afternoon (6pm) dash to my
local market - superb butchery, deli and fresh fruit & veg.

Picked up a variety of fruit - mandarins (10), watermelon (¼), grapes
(about 1kg)
Some smoked leg ham - $10
And a marinaded lamb leg (boned) for Monday night's dinner ($25ish)
Also collected a handful of chocolate nibbles (it WAS our 29th wedding
anniversary today...had to celebrate!)$9
Got home and thought $78 odd was a tad over the top.. checked the
docket and I'd been charged for GRAPEFRUIT for my watermelon....AND
overcharged on my mandarins BY $1Kg. Not a big drama, but for someone a
tad strapped for cash, would leave you a bit nonplussed. (and out of
pocket)

Admit it was end of day. But still felt a tad miffed. Grapefruit here
at present (which are not available, by the way) was $4.95 Kg whereas
the watermelon was around $2.99.

Won't be bothered taking my docket back & getting refunded the
difference.
Just makes one wonder how often this occurs.
Hmmmmmmm. (Not to self: check dockets in future!)

Also bought 6kg white sugar ($8 or so) to go towards my first batch of
cumquat marmalade of the season..... which is now cooling in a dozen or
so jars.
Decided to put my mandolin to use this time and sliced the cumquats en
masse that way. Worked well, however removing the seeds (and sections
of seeds!!!!!!!) was an utter bitch!
Probably will not use the mandolin next time. Possibly. Maybe. But then
again... the seeds DO float to the surface. Count the mandolin in for
the next batch.

LOVE cumquat marmalade!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole house smells citrusy...maybe it would be a great
'unsmoker'... (someone recently asked ways of disguising 'burnt'
smell... somehow think boiling citrus would work well...really, really
well! Personally I'd opt for simmering some vanilla extract -
expensive I know, but works well...............

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] 03-07-2006 12:19 PM

Grapefruit

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I was at the produce section his morning selecting grapefruit. I
> sniffed, squeezed and bagged. I looked for grapefruit that weren't too
> firm, weren't too green and smelled like grapefruit. I wonder how the
> folks at RFC select grapefruit. How do you gauge a good one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gabadab

Mom taught me, with all citrus fruit, to choose the ones with the
smoothest, shiniest skins for best ripeness, juiciness and sweetness.

It's worked reliably for me for years.
--
Peace!
Om