Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Birds in the grocery store!

All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
Mostly sparrows.

Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.

They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
places in the ceilings.

Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
management leaves them alone.

They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
problem with automated doors.

Anyone else?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?
> --

When I was living in Hawaii, the doors were always open in our local Sack N
Save to catch the tradewinds; I guess it made air-conditioning cheaper.
Birds were in the grocery store all the time! I loved hearing their chirps
and watching them fly around the store while I was shopping. I figured they
fared better inside than out because they had fruit and vegetables to live
on. There was never less than two or three in the store at any given time.

I thought it was nice. Hearing them sing made me happy.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

I know they're something of a health hazard because of the droppings,
but I still love them. There used to be birds in the X-tra when I lived
in Miami. Now I go out of my way to shop at a smaller supermarket where
I like the price, selection, and people better (and lack of Big Brother
loyalty cards) and where they don't have birds. Gotta make some sacrifices!

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

I live in NJ. I have never seen that happen, but I have seen birds in
other buildings, including my parents' house. A few years ago, I stopped
by late at night to visit my parents because I was passing by and I saw
their lights on, which is unusual for midnight. I stopped in just to
make sure everything was okay. It was a nice summer evening. My mom was
watching a movie in the living room. Dad was sound asleep upstairs in
their bedroom.

Mom and I sat and we chatted for a few minutes. I glanced up at the
ceiling and I noticed a bat quietly flying in a big circle in the living
room. My mom did not nice anything unusual. So, I got curious about how
long it would take for my mom to notice the bat flying around and I
allowed our conversation to continue.

After about ten minutes, I asked my mom if she noticed anything flying
around by the ceiling. She said she thought it was just a piece of paper
or something flying around. I told her it was a bat. Much to my
surprise, my mom let out a loud shriek. My dad being my dad did not come
down to see what all the yelling was about. He remained sound asleep.

I was fascinated by how a bat could get in my parents' house, so I
continued to watch and see what it would do. My dad finally came down
after my mom demanded that I wake him up. My dad, being a bit groggy and
not thinking to clearly, stood on a foot stall and grabbed the bat wit
his bare hands. The bat proceeded to bite my dad. My dad tossed the bat
out the front door and it flew away.

My dad's bat bite wasn't too bad; it only drew a small amount of blood.
A band aid, wash with soap and water, and some antiseptic ointment fixed
him up ... so we thought. When I reminded my dad that bats can carry
rabies, he did not look too thrilled. The next morning, he called his
doctor (who's a long-time friend of his) and his doctor had him get
rabies shots. Due to my dad's medical plan at the time, he had to pay
the $1,100 for a series of several painful shots. My dad called his
insurance agent (also a long-time friend) to ask if his home owners'
policy would cover the shots. The agent said that my dad's policy "did
not cover stupidity" at least that's what my dad said the agent said.

Lesson learned: Don't handle a stray bat with your bare hands!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> store management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

I've seen news stories about it. Any place, like Sam's Club, Lowe's or
whatever where they leave the doors open, birds will roost and take shelter
and build nests on the store signs.

I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building this
crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Part Duex ( Birds in the grocery store!)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> store management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

When I moved into my apartment 9 years ago, I had two parakeets. I was
sitting in my bedroom reading when suddenly this bird zoomed in and flew
back out. It was like being straifed by a tiny jet fighter. WTF?! I knew
my birds were in their cage. I went to look; sure enough, a sparrow had
somehow gotten in and was perched on the top of an ivy plant up by the
ceiling. It was as confused as I was. I opened the back door and waved and
it flew out

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>

> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?

Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.

Our friends at the seashore in Massachusetts have a barn swallow that
makes a nest every year on top of the drive box for their electric
garage door opener. They watch for her and leave the side door open for
easy access once she has laid eggs.

When my daughter lived outside San Diego they had various hummingbird
nets in the big Deodar cedar in the front yard. We watched by the hours.

All of those are relatively whimsical compared to the ravens which are
nesting in the tops of a few of our Ponderosa pines. They are big,
ugly, and mean and dive bomb pets as well as us when we are outdoors.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:34:43 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
>noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
>our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
>and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.

Fortunately, I haven't seen birds in any grocery stores where I've
shopped. They are charming in the trees around my home and a few are
cute in home centers, but not in grocery stores, thankyewverymuch!

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
jill stardust

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >
> > Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >
> > They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> > places in the ceilings.
> >
> > Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> > wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> > management leaves them alone.
> >
> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?
> > --

> When I was living in Hawaii, the doors were always open in our local Sack N
> Save to catch the tradewinds; I guess it made air-conditioning cheaper.
> Birds were in the grocery store all the time! I loved hearing their chirps
> and watching them fly around the store while I was shopping. I figured they
> fared better inside than out because they had fruit and vegetables to live
> on. There was never less than two or three in the store at any given time.
>
> I thought it was nice. Hearing them sing made me happy.
>
> kili

:-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >
> > Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >
> > They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> > places in the ceilings.
> >
> > Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> > wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> > management leaves them alone.
> >
> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> I know they're something of a health hazard because of the droppings,
> but I still love them. There used to be birds in the X-tra when I lived
> in Miami. Now I go out of my way to shop at a smaller supermarket where
> I like the price, selection, and people better (and lack of Big Brother
> loyalty cards) and where they don't have birds. Gotta make some sacrifices!
>

> --Lia

I normally shop at the smallest store in town because it's closest to my
house, and it's easier to navigate. :-) They still have birds. Must be a
very small store?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> Lesson learned: Don't handle a stray bat with your bare hands!

Geez. I thought that everybody knew that!
I grab them with a towel...

The rabies shots are no longer painful, but they are still expensive.

I had the pre-exposure series a couple of years in a row as I dabble in
wildlife rehabbing. It was not even as bad as getting tetanus shots. I
hate Tetanus shots! I get an egg-sized lump in my arm and 'flu like
symptoms for close to a week and the shot site hurts. :-P

The employee health nurse at work tho' makes sure I get one every ten
years. They keep track of shot records.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >
> > Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >
> > They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> > sheltered places in the ceilings.
> >
> > Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> > I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> > store management leaves them alone.
> >
> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> I've seen news stories about it. Any place, like Sam's Club, Lowe's or
> whatever where they leave the doors open, birds will roost and take shelter
> and build nests on the store signs.
>
> I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building this
> crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.
>
> Jill

One of the clerks at Lowe's tells me that some of the birds have learned
to activate the door sensors. :-) They then come in and hang out on the
bird seed isle.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >

> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> Our grocery stores trap them and release (state law, maybe?) but I have
> noticed quite a few in Home Depot and Lowe's. Also the main terminal at
> our airport (DIA) has a few which nest in the supports of the tent roofs
> and in the big potted trees. Little kids love to see them.
>
> Our friends at the seashore in Massachusetts have a barn swallow that
> makes a nest every year on top of the drive box for their electric
> garage door opener. They watch for her and leave the side door open for
> easy access once she has laid eggs.

A pair of barn swallows just built a nest on the back loading dock at
the hospital where I work this year. It's been delightful to watch them.

> When my daughter lived outside San Diego they had various hummingbird
> nets in the big Deodar cedar in the front yard. We watched by the hours.

Hummingbirds are cool!

> All of those are relatively whimsical compared to the ravens which are
> nesting in the tops of a few of our Ponderosa pines. They are big,
> ugly, and mean and dive bomb pets as well as us when we are outdoors.
>
> gloria p

I like ravens, but they are a bit big to divebomb. I presume they only
do it when they have babies?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"jill" > wrote:

> The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
> separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
> pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
> approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
> get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
> health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
> birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
> like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
> this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
> USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
> they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
> jill stardust

How would you suggest they catch them? The store ceilings are to high
and two of the stores are open 24/7 so cannot turn the lights off...

Only the produce is at risk and I've never seen the birds hang out in
the meat area, plus the meat is all wrapped.

Anyone that does not wash their produce prior to eating it is foolish
anyway. Fellow customers that handle the produce ahead of me without
washing their hands are a far bigger disease hazard than a few random
bird droppings.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >
> > Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >
> > They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
> > sheltered places in the ceilings.
> >
> > Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure
> > I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
> > store management leaves them alone.
> >
> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> When I moved into my apartment 9 years ago, I had two parakeets. I was
> sitting in my bedroom reading when suddenly this bird zoomed in and flew
> back out. It was like being straifed by a tiny jet fighter. WTF?! I knew
> my birds were in their cage. I went to look; sure enough, a sparrow had
> somehow gotten in and was perched on the top of an ivy plant up by the
> ceiling. It was as confused as I was. I opened the back door and waved and
> it flew out
>
> Jill

:-)

Sparrows are legion......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> Mostly sparrows.
>
> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>
> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> places in the ceilings.
>
> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> management leaves them alone.
>
> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> problem with automated doors.
>
> Anyone else?
> --

I remember seeing two birds at a local Kroger store. They were there
for at least a couple weeks. Then one day they were gone. I asked a
clerk what happened to them. He didn't want to say anything but
finally admitted they shot them.
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I remember seeing two birds at a local Kroger store. They were there
> for at least a couple weeks. Then one day they were gone. I asked a
> clerk what happened to them. He didn't want to say anything but
> finally admitted they shot them.

<cringe>

Around here, there would just be more in short order.
South Texas has no shortage of wild birds......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:23:51 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
> "jill" > wrote:
>
>> The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
>> separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
>> pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
>> approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
>> get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
>> health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
>> birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
>> like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
>> this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
>> USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
>> they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
>> jill stardust

>How would you suggest they catch them? The store ceilings are to high
>and two of the stores are open 24/7 so cannot turn the lights off...

They should figure something out. Other places manage, they can as
well.

>Only the produce is at risk and I've never seen the birds hang out in
>the meat area, plus the meat is all wrapped.
>
>Anyone that does not wash their produce prior to eating it is foolish
>anyway. Fellow customers that handle the produce ahead of me without
>washing their hands are a far bigger disease hazard than a few random
>bird droppings.

No, the customers are at risk too. I don't want to have to shop with
an umbrella!

Jill is right; why not let rats, mice, cats, hamsters, dogs, pigs,
snakes, chickens, squirrels, flies, peacocks, etc. into grocery
stores as well as birds if the greatest danger is from fellow
customers?

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

> Jill is right; why not let rats, mice, cats, hamsters, dogs,
> pigs, snakes, chickens, squirrels, flies, peacocks, etc.
> into grocery stores as well as birds if the greatest danger
> is from fellow customers?

A friend of mine calls pigeons "rats with wings"
and squirrels "cute rats".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>> All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the
>>> ceilings, have a small population of wild birds that live inside of
>>> them. ;-) Mostly sparrows.
>>>
>>> Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
>>>
>>> They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more
>>> sheltered places in the ceilings.
>>>
>>> Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make
>>> sure
>>> I wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the
>>> store management leaves them alone.
>>>
>>> They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
>>> problem with automated doors.
>>>
>>> Anyone else?

>> I've seen news stories about it. Any place, like Sam's Club, Lowe's
>> or whatever where they leave the doors open, birds will roost and
>> take shelter and build nests on the store signs.
>>
>> I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building
>> this crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.
>>
>> Jill

> One of the clerks at Lowe's tells me that some of the birds have
> learned
> to activate the door sensors. :-) They then come in and hang out on
> the
> bird seed isle.

LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know how
intelligent they are.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown > wrote:

> I don't begrudge them one bit. We stole their territory by building this
> crap where there used to be trees for them to nest in.

Sparrows do not nest in trees.

The sparrows mentioned by the OP are an invasive alien species who are out
of control and who threaten native species. They kill the babies of
Bluebirds. One popular name for sparrows is "weeds of the air". One way
to deal with sparrows is to trap them and eliminate them humanely. Carbon
dioxide gas from dry ice is a common method.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> How would you suggest they catch them?

Using sparrow traps, like everybody else uses to catch them?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know how
> intelligent they are.

Oh come one now Jill. Birds have tiny little brains and there is not a lot of
intellectual activity going on in there. They are dumb, dumb, dumb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I
>> know how intelligent they are.

> Oh come one now Jill. Birds have tiny little brains and there is not
> a lot of intellectual activity going on in there. They are dumb,
> dumb, dumb.

Tell that to the ones that know how to activate the door sensors to get
inside

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> > One of the clerks at Lowe's tells me that some of the birds have
> > learned
> > to activate the door sensors. :-) They then come in and hang out on
> > the
> > bird seed isle.

> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I know how
> intelligent they are.
>
> Jill

Indeed... :-)

Sparrows especially seem to be very successful!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> LOL! Birds aren't stupid. I've been raising them for years and I
> >> know how intelligent they are.

> > Oh come one now Jill. Birds have tiny little brains and there is not
> > a lot of intellectual activity going on in there. They are dumb,
> > dumb, dumb.

> Tell that to the ones that know how to activate the door sensors to get
> inside
>
> Jill

Their brains are not all that small compared to their body mass......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
says...
> The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
> separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
> pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
> approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
> get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
> health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
> birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
> like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
> this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
> USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
> they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
> jill stardust
>
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
> > have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
> > Mostly sparrows.
> >
> > Wal-mart and the super HEB have a few grackles as well.
> >
> > They even reproduce, I can hear the babies in some of the more sheltered
> > places in the ceilings.
> >
> > Does not bother me, I find it to be rather charming! I just make sure I
> > wash my produce. I think they are cute and am impressed that the store
> > management leaves them alone.
> >
> > They could always poison them but more would just come in. It's a
> > problem with automated doors.
> >
> > Anyone else?
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> > -- Jack Nicholson

My office is in what was once an old iron mill. As such the ceilings are
a good 20-25 feet high. Every now and then we'll get a bird in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> My office is in what was once an old iron mill. As such the ceilings are
> a good 20-25 feet high. Every now and then we'll get a bird in there.

What do you do about it, if anything?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>>I know they're something of a health hazard because of the droppings,
>>but I still love them. There used to be birds in the X-tra when I lived
>>in Miami. Now I go out of my way to shop at a smaller supermarket where
>>I like the price, selection, and people better (and lack of Big Brother
>>loyalty cards) and where they don't have birds. Gotta make some sacrifices!

> I normally shop at the smallest store in town because it's closest to my
> house, and it's easier to navigate. :-) They still have birds. Must be a
> very small store?

No, it is the size of the old fashioned A & P. I still think of it as a
supermarket. I think of the giant stores like BJ's as the giant ones.
I'd guess the reason for no birds is careful shooing them out and making
sure the ceilings aren't desirable places to nest. I never thought
about it before, but it's reasonable that I'm one of the few people in
the New England area from a Southern state who is used to birds in the
supermarket and likes them. Natives might be horrified.

And I would point out that the people who have noted that birds living
overhead are right: they are a health hazard. I just like them anyway.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is not my responsibility to have anything to do with catching birds,
the birds are not flying into my kitchen. I agree that hand washing is
needed, my point is that I cannot get away with unsafe food facilities
and I am very small time, large stores have thousands of people coming
through which makes it a potential community hazard. and large stores
can get away with this? Who paid off whom that this goes unchecked?
Where do you live? Health and Food Inspectors in that area need to
figure out how to fix the bird problem.
jill stardust

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "jill" > wrote:
>
> > The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
> > separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
> > pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
> > approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
> > get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
> > health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
> > birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
> > like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
> > this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
> > USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
> > they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
> > jill stardust

> How would you suggest they catch them? The store ceilings are to high
> and two of the stores are open 24/7 so cannot turn the lights off...
>
> Only the produce is at risk and I've never seen the birds hang out in
> the meat area, plus the meat is all wrapped.
>
> Anyone that does not wash their produce prior to eating it is foolish
> anyway. Fellow customers that handle the produce ahead of me without
> washing their hands are a far bigger disease hazard than a few random
> bird droppings.
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Curly Sue,
just wanted to point out that I am jill stardust because I noticed
there is another Jill here (she seems to go by Jill with a capitol J)
Hi Jill who owns birds
jill stardust
Curly Sue wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 13:23:51 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >In article .com>,
> > "jill" > wrote:
> >
> >> The govt requires me to get a room full of stainless steel sinks,
> >> separate entries sealed from outside, an exhast and intake fan. no
> >> pets, no smoking, and many other expensive to code shelves, NSF
> >> approved tables, floors, plus food safety training (again expensive) to
> >> get a licenced kitchen. Now why are they allowing large stores to allow
> >> health hazards after all this trouble? Lobbyists payments? I agree
> >> birds are cute, and as a farmer I value their help and beauty in things
> >> like pollinating and spreading seeds outdoors, so I feed them: but if
> >> this is the case why should anyone bother with any sanitary food prep?
> >> USDA and Dept of Health should be monitoring this, and if they are not,
> >> they are not doing thier jobs that we pay taxes for.
> >> jill stardust

> >How would you suggest they catch them? The store ceilings are to high
> >and two of the stores are open 24/7 so cannot turn the lights off...

> They should figure something out. Other places manage, they can as
> well.
>
> >Only the produce is at risk and I've never seen the birds hang out in
> >the meat area, plus the meat is all wrapped.
> >
> >Anyone that does not wash their produce prior to eating it is foolish
> >anyway. Fellow customers that handle the produce ahead of me without
> >washing their hands are a far bigger disease hazard than a few random
> >bird droppings.

> No, the customers are at risk too. I don't want to have to shop with
> an umbrella!
>
> Jill is right; why not let rats, mice, cats, hamsters, dogs, pigs,
> snakes, chickens, squirrels, flies, peacocks, etc. into grocery
> stores as well as birds if the greatest danger is from fellow
> customers?
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like your motto: mine is "stand for something or fall for anything" I
don't know who said it.
jill stardust

wrote:
> In rec.food.cooking, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > How would you suggest they catch them?

> Using sparrow traps, like everybody else uses to catch them?
>
> --
> A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
> --Edward R. Murrow

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>All three of our local supermarkets, due to the size of the ceilings,
>have a small population of wild birds that live inside of them. ;-)
>Mostly sparrows.

Ugh.

That's hideous.

Birds leave nasty shit everywhere.

Those birds are feeding on the produce section when
the store is closed.

Birdshit = salmonella.

Yecch.

The health department should have those stores de-birded
and bleached from top to bottom before they can reopen.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> I was fascinated by how a bat could get in my parents' house, so I
> continued to watch and see what it would do. My dad finally came down
> after my mom demanded that I wake him up. My dad, being a bit groggy and
> not thinking to clearly, stood on a foot stall and grabbed the bat wit
> his bare hands. The bat proceeded to bite my dad. My dad tossed the bat
> out the front door and it flew away.

My parents' house would periodically serve as home for a bat, who would
meander down the holes that the pipes went through and pop out into the
kitchen or other living areas. Mom would open the back door, Dad would
open the front, and we'd all step out of the way.

Bat would do it's sonar thing, and head straight for one door or the
other, and we'd be bat-free for the rest of the summer. I think the
bat didn't like the screeches that came from my sister and me.<g>

They eat so many mosquitos, I could never kill one. At least not the
ones in this area.'

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

*And* if you are bitten by any unknown animal - wild or domestic, never
let it go. If he had saved the bat, they could have checked it for
rabies and the cost would have been about $200 or less. Bats are the
#1 carrier of rabies in the US - not a good animal to get bitten by!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Oh come one now Jill. Birds have tiny little brains and there is not
>>> a lot of intellectual activity going on in there. They are dumb,
>>> dumb, dumb.

>> Tell that to the ones that know how to activate the door sensors to
>> get inside
>>
>> Jill

> Their brains are not all that small compared to their body mass......

And the phrase "eats like a bird" is a misnomer. They actually eat about 3
times their body weight a day in order to maintain the energy it takes to
fly.

OB Food: Sunflower seeds

Jill